• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insurance vs not insured

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
All 5 of mine are insured at £45 a month for all.

Im thinking of cancelling and just saving it... the excess is £50 per bun and so much isn't covered.

with petplan, what do you need to cancel?

I have money for a rainy day and can afford the costs - in 2 minds.

if you can afford a lifetime of treatment deffo cancel.. pearls treatment costs £35 per month and then the vets check ups are £19 each time we go, weve not managed 3 months between checkups because i panic and need her seen. Petplan are paying out far more than i am paying to them. she cost over £600 for this insurance year.

then theres the stasis king hes had 3 really bad stasis bouts at approx £350 each time and ive only had to pay £50 plus the monthly insurance cost of course.

I cancelled my pet insurance when I got quite a few rabbits. It's worked out okay for me. With 22 rabbits atm I'd be paying a lot more in insurance premiums than I pay in vets fees each month.

I'm not insured, and I manage fine, I am a student, with no job and no aid from my parents, I have 6 bunnies.

yeah I mean we now have savings etc, but as I said, majorly in two minds lol.

I pay £9 for a rabbit consult, £70 out of hours, although she charged us nothing extra when we went the other week with Annabelle as she was still there x

I can't find any details regarding cancelling but there's usually fees to pay with cancelling as you've entered into a one year contract. Usually not renewing is better idea, depending on how long it has to run.

I'm of the same view as Donna regarding insurance. My buns have cost me well over £1,000 in the last twelve months, (Artie being about £700 of this). I don't think I will not insure again. Bunnies didn't cost me much in the past as the vets didn't find anything much wrong with them (ie two died that *possibly* could have been diagnosed if the vets more rabbit savvy), now I've got a top vet there's likely to be a lot of diagnostics and treatments - so I want to know I can follow through with their treatment.

Last edited:
Insurance has been a life saver for my lot. Graham was still on his 6 week free trial when we lost him, that cost me £400. I have claimed about £500 on Snowdrops so far. Luckily not had to use Strawberrys.

Bungle isnt insured but cost me £300 in two days when he had a bad nose.

whats the max number you would insure?

I decided on 4 being the cut-off point last year as it would cost me £374 to insure them all, so didn't.

I still think 4/5 is a borderline amount to decide either way.

I could afford Artie's treatment but I've now got the others insured in case another bun proves expensive. Maybe in a few years time if I've managed to get a decent pot of savings I'll go for the don't insure option but for now I'd rather have the peace of mind.

That's a tough call that only you can make. Parsnip recently cost me nearly £1500 with his broken leg but fortunately I had more than enough in my 'vet account' to cover it.

But when I add up what I've spent on bunnies over the years compared to what insurance premiums would have been, I'm still much better off NOT having insurance. But it's a risk you have to be prepared to take. I know I COULD still afford to pay vet fees, should they arise but if my financial circumstances changed, I'd probably take out insurance.

If you can afford £2000 per bun, per year then you don't need the insurance. Otherwise you are leaving yourself open to some horrible decisions in the worst case scenario.

we used to have insurance - then when it got to 7 buns we cancelled. Then when we had had three years of emergencies and VAST vets bills with a triple bone broken leg, gut surgery, and jaw abcsess (all different bunnies) we put our tails between our legs and crawled back to Petplan.

Now of course we have some buns that are now too old to re-start their insurance (even though they were insured originally - we could not 're-start' after the two year break) - including the one that has just had to have a scan, an x-ray, and endless vets appts and the one that now has on-going bladder sludge.

Do I feel stupid that I stopped the insurance? Yes I do.

And I am SO glad I am insuring them again now.

I would never, not insure now. All six of mine are insured, as are the cats.

I would also insure from the day the bun came to me, which I didn't do I left it a few weeks, which I regret bitterly.

I am having to rehome Cherry because I can't afford her dentals. She showed symptoms 2 days after the insurance started, and rather than let her suffer I took her to the vets. She wasn't diagnosed until 4 weeks later, but because she showed symptoms, they wouldn't insure her for her dentals :(

I have to say it is the most horrible decision I have had to make, bar PTS Princess. And in a way even worse, because I know she will be living her life else where and in some why I have failed her. But in another I was her saviour. I took her to the vets every week during those 4 weeks, sometime twice a week to get a diagnosis. She saw 4 different vets inc an RSPCA vet when her spay was done. Some people would have given up, but I knew it was dental. My first vet Said to PTS, but I refused, and looked for alternatives. So in that way she is luck she is still here.

As they are already insured, they will not be covered for previous ailments if you cancel then go back.

Last edited:
I would never, not insure now. All six of mine are insured, as are the cats.

I would also insure from the day the bun came to me, which I didn't do I left it a few weeks, which I regret bitterly.

I am having to rehome Cherry because I can't afford her dentals. She showed symptoms 2 days after the insurance started, and rather than let her suffer I took her to the vets. She wasn't diagnosed until 4 weeks later, but because she showed symptoms, they wouldn't insure her for her dentals :(

I have to say it is the most horrible decision I have had to make, bar PTS Princess. And in a way even worse, because I know she will be living her life else where and in some why I have failed her. But in another I was her saviour. I

As they are already insured, they will not be covered for previous ailments if you cancel then go back.

petplan dont cover dentals anyhows hun.. thats what they told me when they made a goodwill payment for Alvins one. any further teeth issues wont be covered

he has his back teeth rasped, the week before Christmas, and I recieved payment last week.
they paid for Cherrys aenastetic too as she was having bloods urine xrays etc to look into why she was drinking so much, and I payed for her dental work whilst she was under. They paid the vets directly for that though, as it was quite a lot:shock:

Back