• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice please for eric's litter habit change

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
eric has always used his litter tray (he's a very clean and tidy boy). however, recently it seems that he really doesn't like weeing fully in his tray:? he pushes himself as far back as poss and hangs over the side to wee over the edge. he took to weeing on the bottom shelf of my bookcase so i cleared that off and placed a tray there. he doesn't wee in it now bit does poop there whilst eating hay.

so, i've tried different style trays, extra trays and putting a towel around the tray to catch the wee - none of that worked and he just drags the towel out of the way.

his litter tray is now on a mat but sometimes he misses the mat too:roll:
any idea what else i could try for a bun who doesn't like weeing where he can eat?

I know you said you've tried different style trays, but have you tried a high-corner tray? He shouldn't be able to push him bum back and pee over the side of those. I have the same issue with the flat-style litter trays, but the high-corner one I have is the only tray where I don't have to clean around the back of it every day :roll:

I know you said you've tried different style trays, but have you tried a high-corner tray? He shouldn't be able to push him bum back and pee over the side of those. I have the same issue with the flat-style litter trays, but the high-corner one I have is the only tray where I don't have to clean around the back of it every day :roll:

i tried one of those but he managed to position himself to wee over where the corner meets the front, no matter how i positioned it:roll: its a pain innit - they know where to do it but it has to be just outside:?

my buns went through that phase. i kept cleaning and trying to remove old smells, and placing the tray over where they had wet. they got over it, mostly, but sometimes choose an odd place to 'go' for a while.

the one he has now is a cat one with a rim on it. he obviously didn't like the rim so he took it off and wrestled it across the room - funny to see but not good for the carpet when he got his way and wee'd over the side again:roll:

i thought about the carrier style one too but he hates the carrier so i doubt very much he'd go anywhere near it. the deep one may work - if he can get into it with his little stumpy legs but he'd still probably find a way to pee over the side:roll:

rabbits are clever - too clever for me to outsmart:oops:

I had this problem. Ww've started using large deep storage boxes instead and it's helped a lot. They have to get fully in the box so any 'backing up' just leads to backing into the sides.

Louie sometimes sits on the very edge so the wee misses the littertray :roll:

I put a puppy pad underneath it so it's easy to clean up :D

my buns went through that phase. i kept cleaning and trying to remove old smells, and placing the tray over where they had wet. they got over it, mostly, but sometimes choose an odd place to 'go' for a while.

i keep scrubbing where he's dribbled but to no avail. he just doesn't seem to want to wee where he eats (not sure i'd want to either but he's a rabbit - even tho i'm not sure he knows:lol:).

i tried a small tray within a big tray too - one for wee and one separate to eat from. didn't work either. hopefully its just a phase then and it'll pass:)

Louie sometimes sits on the very edge so the wee misses the littertray :roll:

I put a puppy pad underneath it so it's easy to clean up :D

tried that - he moved it kate:roll: i keep a stash of those in to line my piggy wee champions cages:D

I had this problem. Ww've started using large deep storage boxes instead and it's helped a lot. They have to get fully in the box so any 'backing up' just leads to backing into the sides.

i'm not sure he'd be able to get into it - or rather whether he could be bothered as he's a lazy little moo:roll::love:

Well I thought that. Mischa is a former EC bun and I was concerned he would struggle getting in and out but he doesn't at all.

I have the hi-bac one, I like it (and so do the rabbits :D).

You say he doesnt like to poo where he eats... In my litter trays (I have two), I put litter in three-quarters of it and only put hay to one side. Eg, in that hi-bac one, there is hay along one of the sides and litter in the rest. I find my two like to face outwards whilst they're in the tray too, so this means they are looking out and facing the hay for a nibble.

I also have separate trays/boxes with only hay in, no litter at all. Muppet's always understood that these are only for eating/sleeping (he's such a clean bunny, he comes in from the garden to use his litter tray :D). He doesnt even poo in that box. Sooty is gradually getting used to the concept too, though it's taken awhile.

I use those underbed storage box things. They are deep but seem to do the trick. Catkin can get in and out and he is a little lionhead.

Although at the moment he has a small cat litter tray as he is not 100%. He poos and wees everywhere but in it......

We use an underbed storage box, one of those big flat ones with wheels, we fill it quite deap with sawdust, then a thick layer of bedding hay, then eating hay at one end. That might work as where he's weeing is quite a way away from the eating hay, and it gets soaked up to the bottom anyway, so the top stays dry :D

I use the extra deep cat litter boxes and they work great for keeping bunny bums in the litter box:) Coco lost the use of her back leg and had trouble navigating tall boxes so I bought a clear storage box and used a hack saw to cut an entrance into it so she could get in and out easily. It really worked well. You could also add a small hay rack on one end so he has 'fresh' hay:D

I'm so sorry that you are having these problems poppymoon.
As a last resort you may have to try our weird set up - rabbit specifications.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=200448&page=4
photo #38
Thumper likes a taste of his wee :roll: It's the only thing he'd use.
pretty lupin later comments that it's very similar to a wildie latrine.
It's incredibly easy to keep clean but takes up a fair bit of space. Of course the towel means nappies for ever. On the other hand with a predisposition to stasis you do know if he's weeing plenty. The lime comes off easily with luke warm vinegar & then a rinse in water.

Back