• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help!!! My Rabbit won't eat!!

Nummy

Young Bun
Oh please someone help!!!! Nummy had a dental surgrey on Monday and had 3 teeth removed, the vet said one of them was starting to grow into the sinuses (which was causing all the sneezing I mentioned in previous posts). Now Nummy is back at home and has been up and down in his eating habbits. On Tuesday, he was eating very little so I tried to offer fresh veg and some fruit just to tempt him. He didn't eat any pellets and nibbled on some lettuce. I fed him som critical care that day to keep him going. Wednesday he was around the same but eating a bit more and I fed him some more critical care. Thursday he was starting to eat a little pellets on his own (I even have been giving him the pellets softened) he also ate a ton of greens and some fruit. On Friday he had me fooled, he was eating like normal and did not require critical care. Today... he ate his beakfast and some veg, but this afternoon he started to become very uninterested in his food again. Tonight, he is pretty much refusing to eat at all. I have offered him everything and he won't eat it. What am I doing wrong??? He is laying around my room all streatched out and relaxed looking, grooms himself but is not being very social tonight. Should I give him more critical care?

Think its really early in the UK so you may not get too many replies.
I don't have dental bun experience but going by what often gets posted ...
buns don't eat when they are in pain & I note you haven't mentioned pain relief. Really think the best course of action is a call or a trip to the vets if you are worried, given that he seemed to be doing well & is now reversing that trend.

As Kiwi Bron said, pain relief is essential after a dental, particularly extractions.

You mention food going in but what is happening at the other end?

Is Nummy passing normal droppings, or are they small?
If they are small you will need to be aware of stasis and get him back on to the Critical Care. This is based on the assumption that there are no other issues such as blockages.

Eating and then ceasing to eat suggests their is a problem and veterinary advice would be the best solution. Wishing you all the best for Nummy's recovery.

To be honest, I havent't seen him poo since I brought him out tonight. And he hasn't eaten at all really except 2 spinich leaves and I gave him a tint bit of critical care. That was around 8pm and it is 10:30pm now, I haven't see a poo since 6:30pm when I brought him out. Should I feed him??? Or wait to see a vet tomorrow??

Is Nummy on antibiotics and good analgesia ?

His Dental Disease is advanced and pain will be a major factor. I do hope that the Vet can sort out a drug regime to enable him to feel more comfortable.

He is likely to require intensive nursing care which will include supportive feeds and fluid therapy aswell as medication.

Give him the critical care until you can get to a vet - it's essential that you keep the digestive tract moving. Gut stasis can kill and it's far easier to prevent than treat.

also make sure he is drinking, even if you have to syringe some every hour, i had to do this with a dental bun.
We also had to go back to the vets who syringed a lot of fluid under his skin to keep him going for 36 hours.

I did syringe feed him till I went to sleep (which was very late cuz of all the worry) I went to check on him this morning and noticed there was poo in the cage, and he ate a little food. It seems like he is feeling better again. I have to wait still for the vet to open but I will be getting him to the vet asap! I am just glad to see small improvement.

I'm glad he seems a little better. Keep trying with soft foods, grated carrot is often a hit. Also, ask the vet for pain relief you can administer at home.

Lots of vibes,

FC x

I did syringe feed him till I went to sleep (which was very late cuz of all the worry) I went to check on him this morning and noticed there was poo in the cage, and he ate a little food. It seems like he is feeling better again. I have to wait still for the vet to open but I will be getting him to the vet asap! I am just glad to see small improvement.

Awww no advice just sending vibes he will be alright and your nerves x

Update!!!

:D Well the vet says that Nummy will be fine, he is eating again today, a little bit of pellets and some greens. I really don't know what happened last night, he went from eating to not eating so fast, then went back to eating again!! I will keep an eye on him for now and keep my fingers crossed that he keep eating! I have even been seeing poos today, last night there was no poo all night! Things are looking better for now. :thumb:

Back