• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

8wk old passing clear mucous

AussieDana

New Kit
Hi everyone,

I'm a novice rabbit owner, have had my 2 babies for 10 days and all has been going well up until a couple of days ago. My little boy has had a few soft/on the verge of being loose poos over the last few days but first thought it was because they'd been introduced to Silverbeet. However, this morning there are several clear mucous blobs and some loose-ish poos in their hutch :( He appears happy and is eating pellets, lucerne hay, meadow hay and drinking. I've just given his bottom a clean as there was some remnants around it.

Any idea what might be causing this and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks so much

I'd stop the pellets and just feed the hay for a few days. Young bunnies have immature guts, and shouldn't be introduced to new foods until 12 weeks. It's really important that he stays hydrated. (He could get really dehydrated in a couple of hours with mucus/diarrhoea poos).
If they aren't harder, with more shape by tomorrow then take him to the vet, as he might have to go onto an iv to hydrate him. If, at any time today, he looks listless, or isn't as lively then I'd take him to the vet.

Vibes for the little man!

Thanks for your reply Ali, he's drinking as normal (which is a good amount) and still lively. He's been on pellets for a fair while now so wouldn't he have had a reaction before now if it was the pellets?

I'd say take him to the vets just to be on the safe side, it's really not normal and they are the only ones tha can say for certain whats going on with him. It's a good sign hes still himself, but rabbits are good at hiding it if they feel unwell, by the time it shows they are very poorly and for some it can be too late.

At 8 weeks his guts are at the 'high risk' stage re dysbiosis and diarrhoea with mucus in an 8 week old is a serious problem.

I think you need to consult a Vet ASAP and in the meantime just feed hay, pellets and add a probiotic to the drinking water. If you can find any bramble leaves then a few of those (well washed) may be fed too.

Coccidiosis is a possibility and so you need to keep a very close eye on the other Rabbit, Coccidiosis is highly contageous. Seperating them now is probably not worth the stress (to them) as the other Rabbit has already had sufficient exposure to possible disease. But do keep both of them well away from any other Rabbits you may have.

Well I took the pellets out as soon as TM posted and we've had no more mucous :D Will they be OK just eating hay? I'll definitely keep a close eye on him but hopefully he's on the mend. If there's any more mucous I'll take him to the vets. Thanks once again for your advice :)

Well I took the pellets out as soon as TM posted and we've had no more mucous :D Will they be OK just eating hay? I'll definitely keep a close eye on him but hopefully he's on the mend. If there's any more mucous I'll take him to the vets. Thanks once again for your advice :)

For a few days I'd keep pellets to a minimum, just to let his gut settle. When you go to bed, is there any way you can get up to check on them, or sleep with them...?:oops: I'd be worried about a relapse in the night...so would just want to check.

Glad he's feeling better! :D

Thanks Ali :wave: They're inside now (didn't want him pooing mucous all over the carpet so they stayed in the hutch this morning) and his poos are back to their normal dry, healthy looking appearance and he's binkying around :love: I've got a 3yr old who still wakes in the night so I'll check on them each time I get up :)

Back