• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

arthritic bunny-body curved

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
hi all
i have an old bunny who has molar spurs and artritus of the spine. Since the cold weather he has been leaning slightly to one side and when he sits his body seems to be curved and he's not sitting straight and he holds one ear down. Although he can sit straight if he wants. He is very happy in himself and eating and hopping around just fine although perhaps a little slower. I am taking him to the vet next week to be checked over but was wondering if this could be his spine but also wondered as it's to one side if it could be his jaw?
I have checked his head for any lumps and his ears look o.k I don't think it's headtilt as i have had this before. I have been giving him metacam for the last few days to make sure he's not getting any pain. I also give him a snugglesafe 24-7 which he does like to put his front feet on.
I know people with arthritus suffer more in cold weather and as he is an outdoor bunny thought this may be his problem.
any ideas?

I would think it is probably pain related, as the cold will be getting into his bones, sounds like you are doing everything right though, hopefully the metacam will help soon. I hope the vet is able to make him more comfortable too :)

Yes he does have spondalosis. last time he had his spurs filed i asked for an xray to see if it had worsened but it didn't look any worse, that was about 5 months ago. I plan to do this again whe he next needs his teeth doing.

he does seem very happy in himself and i do wonder if he is sitting like this just because it is more comfortable as i have also noticed that he used to always sit with his front paws on his partner and use her as a pillow and i haven't seen him do that for a few weeks, maybe as it arches his back.

I just need peace of mind i think and to see if there is anything else we can do to keep him comfortable.

yes as you say it could be more comfortable for him to sit that way, maybe its the colder weather affecting him more too, i know rosie seems worse when she gets cold

hope it goes well at tthe vets :wave:

Back