• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Floor covering for indoor 'dog crate'

R & R by the river

Warren Scout
What would be the best covering to use over the metal tray?

We started with cardboard but our two tear it into shreds and throw it everywhere.

We like the idea of some kind of woven grass matting, but can only see it as small panels (which we suspect are actually table mat 'seconds' - can it be bought as a big sheet, and if so where ?

As a temporary solution ,Wilkinsons have some hall carpet runners in polypropylene (easily washable, and at 3 quid a go, expendable) would they be ok to use?

Washable carpet runners are fine. Just make sure the buns dont chew them!

I use carpet pieces, the ones you get in the carpet stores for £1....and vet bed.

I use vet bed in mine which I find brilliant. I got mine off ebay and its great. Its very easy to wash and dry.

Time to show my ignorance yet again - vet bed - is that the synthetic fleece sheets ?

Sort of yes, it's really fluffy fleecy bedding, it is very warm and it also draws wetness away from the surface a bit like a nappy - so if water gets spilt on it or it gets weed on, it keeps the animals warm and dry :)

i used a fleece blanket from ikea, now that ruby isn't being good and trying to eat it. They ahve a under bed storage box filled with hay that they use as a litter tray so the fleece doesn't need changing too often.

Thanks for the advice.

They have now got the carpet in, and seem happy with it. They had a little nibble to start with, but have clearly decided that it isn't a foodstuff.

I'm a bit worried about the Vet Fleece, as Polly is well into chewing and I've read a lot of horor stories about buns with tummy troubles from eating fabrics, so I've got some grass mats on order from the Hay Experts.

Hopefully, Molly (who seems to think the litter tray is her 'special chair' and sits in it for hours) will prefer to lie on a grass mat and Polly will be able to use the loo !

I have two litter trays for mine as Herbie seems to like snuggling down on the litter tray!!

my bunny weed on the grass mat i got her so i had to throw it :lol:

i use old towels, she enjoys digging holes in them hehehe

Back