• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My new furry babies.....

MiniMadTez

Mama Doe
My OH and I have been thinking about getting degus for a while, and today we went to find out a bit more about them, and ended up coming home with 2 boys. They are 1 year old and love each other to bits!

Just not long got them home so they are still settling in, tried to take photos of them both but they werent impressed.

They need names......any suggestions?

101_0562.jpg

101_0563.jpg

My friend has degus, they are very interesting to watch although she's had dental problems with hers.
Out of interest, where did you get them from.

My friend has degus, they are very interesting to watch although she's had dental problems with hers.
Out of interest, where did you get them from.

They are from East Coast Exotics. I really like the woman there, shes very helpful and helped me alot when I had my leopard gecko.

We WERE just going for some advice, but once Alex had seen them he was determined they were the pair for us.:roll:

My one (the one climbing on his wheel in the photo) is much more nosey, Alexs is a bit of a wimp. I'm sure they will be fine once they settle in though :)

mooch keeps looking in to work out what they are and why their cage has taken over his favourite corner!!!

This is their cage.....

It still has their old toys etc in it which I am going to replace, also going to put shelves in so they have afew different levels to save them just clinging to the cage bars as much.

101_0565.jpg

Hi...I love degus :)

As discussed with the chinchillas, degus can get bumblefoot and must walk on a solid base, or cover the wire so they're not exposed.

Have you done research on their diet and aware they can get diabetes? Lots of fresh hay, good quality degu food and limit treats etc. Sugar is not good for them. Keep it all natural.

Be very careful with their tails as they can come off, so careful handling is a must.

They need a lot of stimulation and wooden parrot toys are great for them, but they will destroy them quite quickly lol

Good luck with them :)

As discussed with the chinchillas, degus can get bumblefoot and must walk on a solid base, or cover the wire so they're not exposed.

Have you done research on their diet and aware they can get diabetes?

be very careful with their tails as they can come off, so careful handling is a must.

Wow, i never knew this :shock:

They are sweet but i dont think i could have Degus :oops: Their cage is fab :) Will be much better with some levels in, i agree xXx

Have you done research on their diet and aware they can get diabetes?

be very careful with their tails as they can come off, so careful handling is a must.

Yeah, the bottom of the cage is metal bars at the moment but we are getting a base made to fit so they are off the bars :)

The woman who sold us them wrote out a very long and in depth list of what they can safely eat and things to avoid and she explained all about their care etc....she also said to call her with any questions no matter how trivial. :)

I've also been doing loads of research online to make sure I am doing the best for them. :D

Their cage is fab :) Will be much better with some levels in, i agree xXx

Definately. It will make better use of the height of the cage once there are different levels. One of them seems to like being up high, he stays in the wheel mostly, so I think they will appreciate having more parts to climb on :)

I have left them with their old toys for now which we got with them but they are pretty manky so I'm going to replace them. Having a look online just now....I just now I'm going to end up spending a fortune! :lol:

Wow, i never knew this :shock:

They are sweet but i dont think i could have Degus :oops: Their cage is fab :) Will be much better with some levels in, i agree xXx

Yep.....it's their defence mechanism in the wild. If caught by their tail, it strips off, like gerbils.
Looks horrible when it happens. Happened to one of the degus at work and we don't know how. Poor little guy had to have an op to shorten and seal it. Was fine after though :0

Yeah, the bottom of the cage is metal bars at the moment but we are getting a base made to fit so they are off the bars :)

The woman who sold us them wrote out a very long and in depth list of what they can safely eat and things to avoid and she explained all about their care etc....she also said to call her with any questions no matter how trivial. :)

I've also been doing loads of research online to make sure I am doing the best for them. :D

Excellent :)

Degutopia is a good website, but you probably came across it anyway :) x

Excellent :)

Degutopia is a good website, but you probably came across it anyway :) x

Yeah I just found that one! :D

Currently spending loads buying them new toys! lol.

They seem to be a bit happier, they have been playing in the wheel and climbing about a bit.

Its so cute how much they cuddle each other! :love:

Back