• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dust free Hay - Question

Sounds silly but does anyone use it and is it really dust free?

I currently get my hay from my farm shop and it says dust extracted but it's still pretty dusy. The flat is getting quite dusty as well now, with Alfie's breathing conditions I want to find something else.

Also on average how long does 2 small bales last you? I only have two rabbits who are good hay eaters.

Thanks

Last edited:
Is that one bale for a couple of weeks? So as I have to buy a min of 2 do you think that would last a month?

Is it totally dust free?

I use it, it does have a small amount of dust, but it is way less dusty than any other hay ive used.

My two love it, and my angel bunny Kermit did too.

Is that one bale for a couple of weeks? So as I have to buy a min of 2 do you think that would last a month?

I use one bag of it every two weeks.

Buy it direct from dfh, as if you buy the pet shop one in the plastic bag its not as good quality.
Also, you would be better trying to buy 10 at least, 10 works out as £4 a bag, but if you only buy 2 im sure its £8.50 a bag!!!

Is it totally dust free?

It really depends what you are using it for. I get a bale to last about 1.5 weeks with five bunnies for just litter trays at the moment but I do mix it with some other hay from west wales willows. If you are using it for bedding as well it wouldn't last as long.

i never saw any dust in it when i used to use it :) my bunnies loved it and i even tasted it myself once, it was pretty nice :)

Thanks everyone.

It will only be used for eating hay as they are indoor bunnies so don't use it for bedding.

I'm only in a one bed flat so storage is a problem but going to try and sort space out so I can buy it in a 5 pack :)

My bunnies love it and will eat lots of it which is good for them so dont mind paying the extra. I have experimented by giving them the choice between farm hay and dust free hay and they have gone for the dust free stuff.

I have noticed the house is less dusty with the dust free hay and I sneeze less when using it.

Cant tell you how long it lasts as normally get the large bale and store it in the garage.

I have four medium/large buns who love the dust free hay - it's pretty much the only hay they'll really tuck into. I buy 10 small bales at a time and each bale lasts me a maximum of 2 weeks (probably nearer to 1.5 weeks coz I don't really keep count). They only have it for eating - I use cheap Jollyes stuff in litter trays.

It's pretty much dust free. You're never going to exclude all the little bits that fall out of hay because due to the nature of the product, bits are going to break off when you stuff it into a small sack. But it's about the best on the market.

I use it, I get 10 bags and they last just over a month with 5 bunnies eating it

5? ;)

I'm sure my lops could get through 2 bags of the stalky DFH each week if I gave it to them! That's why I try and get farm bale hay if I can these days :lol:

DFH from the DFH company is definitely much less dusty than any other I've come across :)

Back