• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What size indoor cage?

You can get dog crates which are 48" but thats only 4ft so they are not really suitable if bunny is going to be locked in. If you want somewhere you can close him in then a 48" dog crate with a pen put around it for a run would be best.

ETA- just to mention, bunnies in cages are noisy! Too of mine cannot be caged as they will spend hours chewing and rattling the bars of the cage. One of them even throws himself at the side of the cage trying to get out.

As she'll have to stay in until at least the Spring you need a good sized one - my house bun has a 48" dog crate - not that he's ever in it!- but even that, with a litter tray and bowls and bed there isn't much room left.
If she needs to be locked in for long periods maybe the NIC cubes would be a better idea?

He could free range around the utility room in the day, and then go in at night. Will it hurt to bring him indoors?

i found dog crates horrible lol instead i use 2 x park 6 rabbit pens from pets at home joined together to make one big cage its about 4ft x 7.5ft in total when they are locked in. theres also a small roof at the one end made with them cube things.. all collapsable for travel :D

eta - gives 29sq ft floor space when caged

You can get dog crates which are 48" but thats only 4ft so they are not really suitable if bunny is going to be locked in. If you want somewhere you can close him in then a 48" dog crate with a pen put around it for a run would be best.

ETA- just to mention, bunnies in cages are noisy! Too of mine cannot be caged as they will spend hours chewing and rattling the bars of the cage. One of them even throws himself at the side of the cage trying to get out.

ouch some times my pair stay in the cage when its open :lol::lol:

they do love lounging on my bed tho :love::love:

He could free range around the utility room in the day, and then go in at night. Will it hurt to bring him indoors?

It will be fine, as long as he doesnt go back out untill the spring. He will lose his winter coat very quickly indoors and the change froma night in a warm house to being back out is dangerous.

If he is free range all day I would be inclined to let him free range this room at night too if you can. Its just if he is used to being out and then you cage him he is even more likely to make lots of noise! lol

My Snowdrop has a 48" dog crate in our bedroom but she is free range 24/7, its just to house her litter tray and the hay to stop her dragging it everywhere.

Strawberry has the spare bedroom (8ft by 10ft) to himself, we used laminate flooring pieces to cover the skirting boards and MDF boards to cover the walls as he sprays (with NIC cubes boardering the room so he doesnt chew the MDF).

Bungle is in a dog pen that measures 6ft by 3ft. He is the only one that doesnt mind being caged at all. He free ranges every evening but is caged during the day as we dont have another bunny proofed room. He is being bonded with Snow next week so will move into our room with her.

ouch some times my pair stay in the cage when its open :lol::lol:

they do love lounging on my bed tho :love::love:

Strawbs! He goes beserk if he is caged. Snowdrop is bad too. Some nights I think she forgets her crate doesnt have a door as she will go in and then chew the bars when she has the whole room to play in!

Bramble is almost 3 years old and has always lived outside, but this weather is a little bit extreme isn't it?

I agree with above post, could he not just live in the utility room? Put in a large litter tray, a box to hide in and a few toys? My Wilm lives in the spare room like this.

He can stay in for as long as he needs to. The room is pretty much bunny proof, so that wouldn't be a problem. I'm just so worried about him being outside in this cold weather.

Bramble is almost 3 years old and has always lived outside, but this weather is a little bit extreme isn't it?

its probably a bit much if hes out there alone. i know stes mom has said everytime she checks on her pair they are snuggled together to keep warm.

but he may hate indoors tho and itd be worse than leaving him outside where he loves, life as a bunny mom is never easy :(:( does he like inside hun?

He can stay in for as long as he needs to. The room is pretty much bunny proof, so that wouldn't be a problem. I'm just so worried about him being outside in this cold weather.

Bring him in then hun if you are worried about him. As Donna has said bunnies will snuggle together to keep warm and if he is on his own then he cant do this. I am sure he will get used to being inside. Snowdrop and Bungle both used to live outside but dont mind being in at all! In fact I have to force Snowdrop out in the summer for a run!

We have a dog crate and when we had two ickle bunnies we used to shut them in there when we were out and let them have the run of the living room when we were in. Now we have an ickle bun and a french lop the crate is too small to ever shut them in, so when we go out we section a part of the living room off with a puppy pen/fence, and they still have the dog crate as a 'house'. This works well and is quite versatile.

If you do want a dog crate - this guy on ebay is really good - http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/gwdavies28/

Back