• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Attaching Pen to Dog Crate? & size of pen

hellsdarkrose

Warren Veteran
I am going to be buying a pen like the attached link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300367758101&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
and a 48" dog crate.

I want to attach the pen to the dog crate for Radish and an addition in February :) to roam around during the day whilst I am at work but I want it to be easy to unattach so I can take it down easily when I get home and want to fold it away. So I was wondering if anyone can suggest what I can use to do this? Obviously something reusable everyday that the buns can't chew through would be best.

Also the size of the pen I was looking at would make a roughly 4ft x 4ft space for them and wondered if people thought that was ok for Radish & new addition during the day? (there isn't really space in the house for anything any bigger) They would be freerange of the living room when either me or OH are at home from 6pm in the evening till we go to bed and all day at weekends.

Thanks

Hi - I'm doing the same thing exactly as you know - I think I might be able to 'wedge' the dog pen in place but just a thought for you - when you attach the pen to the dog cage it actually forms a 6 x 4ft pen as the dog cage forms part of the pen. The dog pen you're getting is the same as the one I have I think (from pls_uk on ebay) and there's a sort of 'shepherds hook' attachment that unscrews at the bottom so that the cage opens up and doesn't have to be in a square shape. :D

Like this:

P1050980.jpg

P1050982.jpg

..... so it offers more space than you'd think.

Hi - I'm doing the same thing exactly as you know - I think I might be able to 'wedge' the dog pen in place but just a thought for you - when you attach the pen to the dog cage it actually forms a 6 x 4ft pen as the dog cage forms part of the pen. The dog pen you're getting is the same as the one I have I think (from pls_uk on ebay) and there's a sort of 'shepherds hook' attachment that unscrews at the bottom so that the cage opens up and doesn't have to be in a square shape. :D

Like this:

P1050980.jpg

P1050982.jpg

..... so it offers more space than you'd think.

Wow that's an awesome amount of space. I need to find something to attach the pen to the crate or Radish will figure a way out :lol::lol::lol:

tie wraps work great :D

poop just read you want to detach it... i use the inside wire from cable to attach the roof to my pen

Last edited:
I made an outside run from mesh panels on a wooden frame. I secure the frames together with strong velcro ties. If you have a quality save or Home Bargains store near you, they are only about 40p for a pack of five.

I just attach the puppy pen to the dog crate with bulldog clips - but I do remove mine every day so they get the run of the whole lounge so it needed to be something easy to take off.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think either the little padlocks or the bulldog clips would work great. I may even use a combination of the two.

I was thinking of getting a dog pen to attach to my dog crate exactly like this. Has anyone ever had the bunny jump over the pen or onto the top of the dog crate and escape? My bunny can jump onto the top of the sofa so she can jump as high as the dog crate.

I was thinking of getting a dog pen to attach to my dog crate exactly like this. Has anyone ever had the bunny jump over the pen or onto the top of the dog crate and escape? My bunny can jump onto the top of the sofa so she can jump as high as the dog crate.

I have this set up and the puppy pen 60cm high. I have a french lop and a large lop x and neither have ever jumped over it, and I don't think they could. They definitely couldn't jump on the top of the dog crate.

oh, my puppy pen is only 30 cm high, its the x large size. Where did you get a 60 cm high one from?

oh, my puppy pen is only 30 cm high, its the x large size. Where did you get a 60 cm high one from?

My buns would definitely jump the 30cm, they jump over the NIC cube panels. I got my dog pen from ebay, its like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LARGE-HEAVY-DUTY-FOLDING-DOG-PEN-PUPPY-PEN-BLACK-i_W0QQitemZ300388444819QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs?hash=item45f08bea93 they come in different sizes and you can buy extra panels. I originally bought mine to go all the way across the garden to pen the buns on the patio so I needed one that went straight, infact I use itstraight now as it just sections part of the living room off.

I have a 36" high puppy pen and one of my lionheads would definitley jump out with no problems at all. The other wouldn't bother trying. You could put net/sheet over the top if you do have a problem, and attach it with pegs.

Hiya - I had the same dilemma. Have 4 dogs crates and wanted to attach runs to each of them but with something easy so when I clean/move etc they just folded away. What I did was attach the pen with clips that are on dog leads, got them for £1 each from a shoe repairers. On the crates where the run is on the side then I've cable tied the back bit to the crate and used the clips on the front so I can easily detach. Does that make sense?

Back