• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This doesn't seem right

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
:? :?

I asked my vet for a quote for an operation the other week, we don't normally do this as obviously the bunnies have what ever they need, but we needed it for a particular reason.

I was quoted £125 which I thought was OK, just gone to pay and it was over £200 :shock: Having been given the break down it appears a quote does not include £50 for a GA as I assumed. You can't do an op without a GA so why wasn't this included? It also didn't include a metcam injection, gloves (£3.75) and monocryl :roll:

Like I said the cost doesn't really matter as the op would have been done regardless of price but you would expect the quote to cover the basics:?

If our vets quote for an op it would cover the GA, they usually specify if it covers other meds or not. There have been complaints about recovery food and buster collars at the end of the bill, but if people want they can return it.

Hmmm, whenever I get a quote from my vets they say it's all included but if a complication happens then that will be extra. I have never ended up paying more than was quoted except when one of my rats pulled out her stitches then I had to pay for a separate procedure the following day after her badages were removed which I thought was fair. My vet will also give more than 1 follow up appointment if you are woried about an op site.

I had this with Holly when I took her to be spayed. It was £30 as Dogs Trust paid most of it for me, but when I went to pick her up it was £60 - I had to pay the extra for the medication that she NEEDED to reduce the swelling and pain, and a buster collar because she kept slobbering her stitches.

I told them in no uncertain terms at the time I was annoyed at not having been told this beforehand - seems like it's common practice for vets not to include stuff in the price, and then when you kick up a stink, say "well don't take it then" which of course is not an option as the animal will be in pain otherwise! :evil:

ours would quote for everything unless there was something unforseen.

Thats what I assumed. How could they not say it didn't include a GA, its not like they are going to remove his eye while he is hopping around on the table :roll:

Thats what I assumed. How could they not say it didn't include a GA, its not like they are going to remove his eye while he is hopping around on the table :roll:

I agree. It's fair enough if you were asking for a rough price over the phone for a rabbit they had never seen as they would't have a size so couldn't say how much GA to use. It should have been included.

That seems a bit odd to me :? Like you say why on earth would they quote without a GA? They're hardly going to do an op without one :?

I agree. It's fair enough if you were asking for a rough price over the phone for a rabbit they had never seen as they would't have a size so couldn't say how much GA to use. It should have been included.

A GA at our vet is one price for a rabbit £46.05, regardless of size :)

I can see how add-ons like gut stimulant or pain relief to take home might not be included in the estimate, but surely a GA is a pretty integral part of the operation? :shock:

I can see how add-ons like gut stimulant or pain relief to take home might not be included in the estimate, but surely a GA is a pretty integral part of the operation? :shock:

The good news is the maxalon injection was included :D but the metacam one wasn't. Sometimes I give up trying to make sense of their policies :lol:

It is completely ridiculous for them not to quote for GA. I mean how stupid is that as they have to give it for the op to take place!!!!

That is really weird Liz...have you had a word with them to explain how odd you find it? I don't understand why they include meds but not GA. Could the person who gave you the quote have been having a "silly" day and just forgotten to add it on?

I think the quote should include everything. Unless there were complications or the nature of the op changed. I agree, it's hardly like a GA isn't a pretty integral part :roll:

Turning up with a box of gloves next time would be soooo :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I don't think thats very fair Liz, in fact i don't think your vets treat you fairly at all :(

I agree Liz... its extortionate that they think they can add little things on like gloves.... I mean WTF?! Next time ask them to use their bare hands :roll:

The thing is, they are actually getting away with it which bugs me!!

I agree Liz... its extortionate that they think they can add little things on like gloves.... I mean WTF?! Next time ask them to use their bare hands :roll:

The thing is, they are actually getting away with it which bugs me!!

I feel the same way, our vets always give discount or deductions for good, regularly well paying customers. The amount of money you put into the business, its rediculous they charge for gloves. We never charge for gloves, syringes or sundries!

Have you hinted that you might go elsewhere, remember, the only reason they are good bunny vets is because you have given them the experiences.

I don't think thats very fair Liz, in fact i don't think your vets treat you fairly at all :(

It does feel like that a bit sometimes, but they are close and fairly knowledgable, with 4 ops this week and this terrible weather we are grateful they are a 2 minute walk away :)

I am also a bit fed up as they keep messing my accounts up. many months ago I asked if they could seperate my accounts so the buns are on one and the cats/pigs on another. They did this but never transfered any bunnies across :? Now they tell me I can't transfer them only add new bunnes to the Rainbow account, so I have rabbits on 2 different accounts now. Now today I paid the Rainbow account only to find they had put a piggys treatment on it, so what is the point of 2 accounts :roll: I give up.
Just to add, no donations go towards the piggy or cats treatment, I keep my own accounts seperate, its just that the vets don't seem to be able to manage it :?

Back