• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Bunny

maymie

Young Bun
Hi All

Im hope that I am posting in the right place...apologies if not!

I was in a certain pet store in Edinburgh the other day and saw a poor little bunny in the adoption section. His/her (the poster didnt specify) name is lucky and they are 20 weeks old. He/she is up for adoption because he/she is too old to sell in the main bunny bit i.e. surplus stock.

I am unsure if the following thing is true but I was read online that if Lucky isnt sold then he/she will be given back to the breader to be....well....you know...:(
I breaks my heart to think that this might be true (I hope someone can let me know if this is the case or not).

I have 2 bunnies already and have looked at trying to accomodate Lucky but I just dont have the space! I live in a studio apartment type thing and they have the majority of the room! lol

Anywho...I was hoping that by letting you all know about Lucky, that maybe someone who has been looking for a bunny might be able to taken him/her on.

He/she is a black lop he/she has a lovely temprement and let us pet him/her in the store.

Sorry for the long post...I hope someone can help!

May x

surely not...

I hope that's not true... Someone please confirm? Anyone know the pet shops in that area?

There's a wee white lop bunny in the adoption section of one of the Glasgow stores that has the same story on the board. :cry:

I would hope that P@H and other big pet shops would have relatively 'reputable' breeders who would take the rabbits back to perhaps use to breed, not dispose of as such. It's so so sad when there are so many in rescues.

I'm presuming this is pets at home. ;)

If so, there is a lady on here who works at one of their branches - I could PM her and ask if this is indeed their policy.

Not that the little bun doesn't deserve a home but it would be useful to know exactly how urgent it is. does it specifically say he will be pts if he's not sold? Seems like they would be reluctant to state something like that so openly when it would be bound to get them bad publicity.

I'm presuming this is pets at home. ;)

If so, there is a lady on here who works at one of their branches - I could PM her and ask if this is indeed their policy.

Not that the little bun doesn't deserve a home but it would be useful to know exactly how urgent it is.

Are we not allowed to say Pets at Home or something? :lol:

i was being vague because in general its frowned upon to make unfounded allegations about specific businesses....but then i saw you'd already said i so I thought why not and edited it :lol:

:lol: I thought seen as the OP was only wondering what happened it would be ok.

The fact they have put it in the adoption centre means it won't be returned to be destroyed

This is the problem rescues have with PAH..it is better bunnies like this are found homes ...but buying in livestock for sale..then moving them to the "adoption" part if unsold, makes a mockery of all the hard, unpaid work we rescuers put into trying to find homes for genuine unwanted animals

Storys like this kill me, Please, can the breeders stop breeding so many buns so we can get this under control?? It makes me feel desperate :censored::evil:

It didn't say on the poster that he would be pts I got this info from the money saving expert website:

"they would go back to the breeder and be put to sleep otherwise"

I really do hope that this isn't the case! Lucky is a lovely wee thing and like I said I would love to take him on but I just can't :(

I would hope that PH don't have a this policy! Is it also the case that PH don't carry out home checks, etc before selling/rehoming a bunny?

I did look into getting lucky and taking him to a proper rehoming centre but they already have loads of bunnies to rehome!

I generally try to avoid going into the pet shop in question because I always feels so awful when I see the bunnies, they really shouldn't be allowed to sell them I don't think

Last edited:
It :censored: :censored: me off that they can't sell animals over a certain age. What the :censored:? It's beyond disgusting. It's not like rabbits only live for a year. :evil:

There should be laws passed to protect pet shop animals.
  • Number one they should all be spayed/neutered.
  • Number two they should have to pass courses on the welfare and care of the animals they sell.
  • Number three the prices should be higher to include the cost of neutering and vaccinations and put casual buyers off.
  • And Number four rescues should be promoted better and perhaps even have adoption 'shops' in town centres. People don't even realise they exist.

It makes me sick. I think as a forum we should all band together and somehow get together some research to support all this. Perhaps we could take it to parliament with the backing of registered charities and do something about it.

I would like it if instead of live animals, pet shops had screens showing a live tv link to various bunnies in local rescues....so you could see them pottering around etc and get a feel for what each one is like before you go to visit and adopt one...

that would help the whole overpopulation fiasco and would save pet shop staff having to clean and feed their "stock"....they would still get plenty of business from people coming to buy supplies and it could even be organised that they get an amount from the adoption fee, for helping to promote....like a partnership

never going to happen though :roll:

I would like it if instead of live animals, pet shops had screens showing a live tv link to various bunnies in local rescues....so you could see them pottering around etc and get a feel for what each one is like before you go to visit and adopt one...

that would help the whole overpopulation fiasco and would save pet shop staff having to clean and feed their "stock"....they would still get plenty of business from people coming to buy supplies and it could even be organised that they get an amount from the adoption fee, for helping to promote....like a partnership

never going to happen though :roll:

Or if pet shops simply kept a few rescue buns in at a time, from local centres.

well if they could be persuaded to take on the care of them, then even better :D :D

it seems such an obvious idea - I don't understand why it's never been done :?

I would hope that PH don't have a this policy! Is it also the case that PH don't carry out home checks, etc before selling/rehoming a bunny?

They most certainly do not. However they do specify that if you are unable to look after the animal you must return it to them. Fat chance. I'd rather take mine to a rescue.

I did look into getting lucky and taking him to a proper rehoming centre but they already have loads of bunnies to rehome!

Some bunnies in P@H are from rescues. I know my local one has the odd bunny from the local rescue advertised, and an advertisement for the rescue next to them. I was told they go on a rota :roll: I hope they don't charge the rescue for it. My bun was transferred from a rescue centre in Dundee to a P@H there, to one in Aberdeen because her ex-owners came looking for her and wanted her back, the abusing :censored: crack heads. Although why the centre in Dundee gave her to P@H is anyone's guess, unless they have an advertising thing like here. You'd think they'd have transferred her to a different rescue.

Back