• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis - Help

scatter

Alpha Buck
Hi, One of my house bunnies, Charlie (who is just over 10 months old) was very quiet this morning and did not rush to the food bowl to eat pellets as usual. I put him on his own and he has not eaten anything or pooped. I took him down to the vets this morning (my normal vet wasn't in) and she couldn't hear any gut movement and gave him maxolon injection, antibiotic and painkiller and gave me some syringe food (which I have started), some baytril and some injectible maxolon (which I have to give orally as they haven't been able to get hold of the normal liquid sort). What else can I do - I'm so worried about him. He seems slightly livlier, but isn't eating anything at all - he is drinking quite a bit?

Last edited:
its good that he is drinking and also great that you have started treating him already.
Try and encourage him to be active as much as possible, although he obviously needs to rest too. I usually annoy mine with tastey herbs or grass, just be sure its something he's had before so that it doesnt upset his tummy any further. Tummy massages can help too.
Hope he is backto his normal self soon

Thank you - yes I will try to tempt him. He has actually starting very slowly picking at some hay now and has done about 10 poops - I'm so worried. Thanks for your tips.

Great that you have treatment underway already.
As Dideen said you just need to keep wafting his favourite and different foods under his nose to encourage him to eat - mine usually relent to either fresh herbs, or more often some of their favourite plants/grasses from the garden.
I'd get some pureed baby food in (like carrot or apple) on standby in case you need to start syringe feeding him, unless you have some Critical Care in already?
When do you need to go back to the vets?

Thank you - yes I will try to tempt him. He has actually starting very slowly picking at some hay now and has done about 10 poops - I'm so worried. Thanks for your tips.

Sorry to hear that your rabbit has had stasis. It is good that he is eating himself, once they are eating, I stop syringe feeding but keep a close eye one them. It takes a day or so for them to be back to normal.

Lots of keep munching vibes,

FC x

I've got some Science Selective and I've already started that. The vet said to bring him in tomorrow if no change or Monday if he starts to improve (he was due to go into vets on Monday as my other bunny, Poppy is being spayed and he was going to keep her company).

My Frankie WENT into statis this week. It is a worrying time for you. What I have been doing as he will eat is putting things right in front of him and holding the bowl with probiotics in it and recovery food. The vet also said they were giving him fresh pineapple juice. I've been out daily getting herbs as I can't get to dandelions for the snow.

Oooo yes herbs - is parsley one of the best do you think?

Charlie is now a lot livlier and is running round the living room and has done quite a few small poops in the litter tray - he hasn't eaten any pellets, but has eaten a bit of hay. I am keeping everything crossed. Thanks for your replies.

Meanwhile Poppy is building a great big nest next door!

I'm so pleased as Charlie has eaten quite a bit of hay, some pellets and has pooped a lot! Are some rabbits just prone to stasis do you think for no apparant reason?

Oooo yes herbs - is parsley one of the best do you think?

Charlie is now a lot livlier and is running round the living room and has done quite a few small poops in the litter tray - he hasn't eaten any pellets, but has eaten a bit of hay. I am keeping everything crossed. Thanks for your replies.

Meanwhile Poppy is building a great big nest next door!

Glad he's feeling a bit better. I've been going out daily to get parsley and basil.

Charlie ate all his pellets last night and was running around madly - he also ate some cabbage and did loads of poops! He is staying at the vets tonight with Poppy (who has just been spayed) and he is keeping an eye on him. Thanks for all your replies. I'm just keeping everything crossed.

Back