• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Soon to be owner - what vaccinations needed?

Wiserabbit

Young Bun
Morning,

As per my rather lengthy post on the behaviour board, I'm about to become a new owner.

What vaccinations will my new friend need and roughly how much should I expect to pay for them?

Thank you!
Abi

You will need a mixi vac and a vhd vac. It cost me roughly £10 each plus extra for the vet herself.
Best way to find out is to contact your local vet and ask them. The prices can vary.
I'm not sure what age they can have them either so you might want to ask about that too.
Since your asking about vacs, it might be worth while asking about getting your new bunny neutured also as it can help with behavioural problems and has been known to extend the life of your bunny.
Are you getting just one bun or two?

Thanks for replying to the newbie!

I'm getting two - an adult doe and one of her female kittens. A neighbour had an unexpected litter that she is rehoming, and I am taking the doe as well to seperate her from the buck and prevent anymore unwanted kits.

Thanks for replying to the newbie!

I'm getting two - an adult doe and one of her female kittens. A neighbour had an unexpected litter that she is rehoming, and I am taking the doe as well to seperate her from the buck and prevent anymore unwanted kits.

She doesn't need to rehome any original bunnies if she doesn't want to. It is advisable to neuter all rabbits not just males so the parents could be neutered and rebonded. It is even more important for females to be neutered as they have an 85% chance of getting uterine or mammary cancer by the time they are 5.

You don't use the FR forum do you?

Yes I do use FR! I'm mainly here because I found that forum so useful!

I did mention that to the owner, that she could be neutered and kept and the owner said that the doe tends to squabble with the male anyway and doesn't like him. I'm puzzled about why she kept them together at all, but I don't know them very well, (they only moved in a few weeks ago) and don't feel I can really go too far with the "You've been stupid" thing!!!!!

Would it matter how old the doe is? As for the kit, how long do I need to wait before having her neutered?

Yes I do use FR! I'm mainly here because I found that forum so useful!

I did mention that to the owner, that she could be neutered and kept and the owner said that the doe tends to squabble with the male anyway and doesn't like him. I'm puzzled about why she kept them together at all, but I don't know them very well, (they only moved in a few weeks ago) and don't feel I can really go too far with the "You've been stupid" thing!!!!!

Would it matter how old the doe is? As for the kit, how long do I need to wait before having her neutered?

Thought it might have been you. You may have come across it already but there is a bit of a difference in ideas on neutering for rabbits and rats. Most advice for rabbits is to neuter all proabably due to the fact that it makes such a difference to their health and well being plus being larger than rats they react to anaesthetic better.

A doe is normally 6 months when she is spayed and a buck can be from 12 weeks or until his testicles drop.

The original owners will have noticed them fighting because unneutered rabbits in a confined space will fight, it's perfectly normal. No doubt the male will have been constantly trying to mount her which will have annoyed her a lot.

Just to warn you, she may be preganant again if the male wasn't removed before she gave birth.

If you spay mum and neuter/spay baby too when old enough they will live happily together :) but like Rhian said, if the male was present for the birth she is most likely to be pregnant again :(

As for vaccines, same as what the others have said 2 myxos a year, and one vhd a year.

prices vary from £10 each to £20 each, best to phone different vets for the best price. Does depend on area though, i find them to be more pricey in the south, i pay £19 each for mine :shock::lol:

Thank you Rhian and Missy. I'm aware of breedback and something I asked on my other post was about new babies. I didn't realise that she could be pregnant if the male was in there before rather than just straight away afterwards.:shock:

I'll check with the owner when I pop over later to see the kits.

I feel so sorry for this poor doe - I think she's suffered from that thing that so many animals do; owners that are geuninely very well meaning and love their pets, but don't know enough to do a proper job, and without any malice end up causing their pets unnecessary stress and strife.:(

sometimes thats so much harder to deal with that somone who is deliberatly being cruel. Its harder to say "this is wrong" when you know the person is intending well.

Im sure from the sounds of it these two bunnies will have a great life with you, the fact you are even asking about these sorts of things shows you want to give them the best life possible.

:)

Back