• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eating Straw??

bunbuns

Warren Veteran
Just sent OH out to get the buns some hay and the lady in the shop gave him straw :roll: I'm gonna pop out and get some hay in a mo but is it ok to use the straw for bedding when they've never had it before?

Straw will be fine as bedding for them :) its a bit warmer than hay too, they might nibble it too, but it wont do any harm ;).

i read up on straw a while ago and stopped using it. some people seem to think it might cause harm. i didn't keep the references, but there was a thread on r u that set me off, and i went through the usual range of rabbit welfare and vet sites.

yeah, its totally useless for bunnies to eat.. has no nutritional value, and doesn't have the same wear on teeth as hay, so it can lead to dental disease... my girl Noisette is a prime example!

Great for bedding though! :D

My entire bunny sheds are lined with about a foot of straw at the moment in an effort to keep the little people warm :). I bought a whole bale for £3 and I've still got masses of it left.

Back