• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

On the news this morning

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Early this morning I saw on the news the SSPCA advising people to bring their rabbits and piggies into garages, sheds or indoors and to regularly check water bowls etc. :) I was pleased to see that bunnies and piggies haven't been totally forgotten about.

i was only saying to Steve last night, I wonder how many poor buns and pigs have been abandoned at the end of the garden in this weather because no one can be bothered to feed them, doesn't bear thinking about :(

Mine are,of course, checked regularly but even I was thinking today that I'd like to bring more of them indoors :(

I haven't got room to though,I've already brought Bugsy in because he wasn't coping well with the cold.

Jasmine is worrying me,she looks quite sorry for herself and huddled all the time... she and Diesel are already in a shed filled with hay and straw but I do hope this snow goes soon for them.

Mine are,of course, checked regularly but even I was thinking today that I'd like to bring more of them indoors :(

I haven't got room to though,I've already brought Bugsy in because he wasn't coping well with the cold.

Jasmine is worrying me,she looks quite sorry for herself and huddled all the time... she and Diesel are already in a shed filled with hay and straw but I do hope this snow goes soon for them.

I am sure everyone on the forum is doing all they can for their outside bunnies :)

I expect the info was aimed at the type of family who aren't bunny mad and just have a single rabbit down the bottom of the garden in a pet shop bought hutch :( I hate to think how these poor bunnies are coping :cry:

I expect the info was aimed at the type of family who aren't bunny mad and just have a single rabbit down the bottom of the garden in a pet shop bought hutch :( I hate to think how these poor bunnies are coping :cry:

Yes, I feel for the bunnies that have no hay, no straw, no snugglesafe and no friend to snuggle up to, just a bit of sawdust. :cry:

That's great :) I do worry about the poor bunnies than never get looked after in this weather. My step brothers had a rabbit a few years ago that died in cold weather. They claim it 'froze' but I have suspicions the water froze and the poor thing died of dehydration :(

I wish I could bring my two inside but I don't have anywhere they could go :( They seem to be doing ok, anyway... I just hope this cold weather doesn't last much longer.

We mentioned this last night - nick had gone and fed the bunnies as I was stuck in traffic (for 2.5 hrs lol) and he remarked that they all seem very bouncy and happy but then he started thinking about bunnies shoved in a small hutch covered in snow.

I know its no better at any time of year, but I really feel for unloved buns when its cold and snowy :(

I've been thinking about these rabbits that may not be lucky enough to have thoughtful and knowledgable owners:(

I got up at 4am again this morning ust to check on them and to change the water but they were really warm and their bottle hadn't frozen at all!

I want to bring the bunnies in.. .could probably manage for a couple of weeks, but the hay makes my kids asthma bad...

Trouble is, we cant just bring them in for a couple of weeks, so they would be in until Spring :(

Am very glad all mine are indoors. For one thing it means I don't have to keep going out in the cold with my bad chest.

That's great :) I do worry about the poor bunnies than never get looked after in this weather. My step brothers had a rabbit a few years ago that died in cold weather. They claim it 'froze' but I have suspicions the water froze and the poor thing died of dehydration :(

I wish I could bring my two inside but I don't have anywhere they could go :( They seem to be doing ok, anyway... I just hope this cold weather doesn't last much longer.

Poor thing. Bit extreme for it to freeze anyway. If you provide a decent amont of bedding and if possible a friend it's really difficult for a bunny to "freeze" unless it's sick.

Poor thing. Bit extreme for it to freeze anyway. If you provide a decent amont of bedding and if possible a friend it's really difficult for a bunny to "freeze" unless it's sick.

That's what I thought, which is why I thought it was more likely to be the water freezing. The rabbit was apparently young and healthy :(
I didn't even know they had a rabbit until they told me this story and I was soooo angry :evil:

I wish I could bring my bunnies in, but I wouldn't be able to put them back out again though...

I've been covering them up well and checking on them every couple of hours during the day - they've a mountain of hay, and generally seem really quite chirpy!

I have my own temperature guage - bunny water bottle freezing level...

Hannah :)

Yes, I feel for the bunnies that have no hay, no straw, no snugglesafe and no friend to snuggle up to, just a bit of sawdust. :cry:

Poor little things and I bet there are tens of thousands of them in that predicament up and down the country. I feel like Cruella De Ville leaving my two well fed fatties together in a 4 foot by 10 foot well insulated kennel with a selection of snug places to cuddle up in. I just can't get my head round people's indifference.

I've been thinking about these rabbits that may not be lucky enough to have thoughtful and knowledgable owners:(

I got up at 4am again this morning ust to check on them and to change the water but they were really warm and their bottle hadn't frozen at all!

I know! My waterbottles stopped freezing last night! Maybe that means the temp is going up around here? Or maybe that means we're just insulating them properly.

We were talking about this recently as one of my o/h 'friends' (read vague acquaintance) on facebook had posted about her 2 bunnies freezing to death :cry::cry::cry::cry: He was livid and wanted to report her to the RSPCA.
Our bunnies are outside, but their runs are carefully designed to stop the worst of the weather, they have plenty of bedding and I check on them regularly throughout the day to see that the water isn't frozen.
For htuch bunnies stuck at the bottom of the garden, I think the advice is great, as it will actually make people remember that they have a bunny out there:(

Yes i am worried for all the neglected rabbits who do not have enough bedding food or water or just LOVE.It is a cruel world we live in.I just feel good that my 2 have all the love and attention i can give.They have been out in the snow this morning and last night were still down in the run until i put them away.Have bought a quilt from Asda and they have extra hay and a snugglesafe.Were very warm when i checked this morning and wanted to come out in he snow.Am praying for all the neglected bunnies.

Back