• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People with free range housebuns

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I'm presuming they're tolerably well behaved in general....but do you ever get back after a day at work and find they've utterly destroyed the house?

I'm vaguely considering leaving my pair free range overnight when I move house. They are currently free range while I'm home and awake and have an occasional tiny nibble of a bookshelf but nothing major, I just shoo them away and they lose interest. I'm always reluctant to leave them out overnight because it's 8 hours, and if they decided to cause damage, they could get a LOT done in that time! As I wouldn't be awake to tell them "no".

thoughts? I'm not fussed about my own things but have to have some consideration for doors and skirting boards as it's a rented house. :)

I'm in the exact same position. Beau is a pretty good boy, has never shown interest in carpet or skirting boards, but will have a nibble of shoes, bags etc until told off. I'd really like to let him free range, but as with you, it's rented accomodation, there's a lot of damage he could do in 8 hours. Plus, when we let him sleep in our bedroom when he was ill, he jumped on my head about 5 times in the night :evil:

I must have a very well behaved bunny as she sleeps all day usually. She does destroy the carpet, wall paper and the bed covers but other than that she is fine. She would chew wires if I left them lying about though.

Although Squidgy has no front teefs, he's only allowed to free range when we're at home. Fortunately I work from home a lot :D
This is for his own safety, as he likes to go exploring and sometimes gets stuck :roll: We've tried to make the room as bunny proof as possible, but he still manages to find some mischief. He got himself upside down trying to get out of a gap between the furniture once :oops::roll::lol:
Silly bunnies!

I'm presuming they're tolerably well behaved in general....but do you ever get back after a day at work and find they've utterly destroyed the house?

Not destroyed the house :lol: There is the occasional 'accident' on the carpet (nothing a good carpet shampoo won't remove when we leave), and sometimes I hear them chewing the wooden shoe rack.

They went through a scary patch of tugging at the carpet outside the bedroom with their teeth, so I blocked off the stairs and they're freerange downstairs only.

So far they've not done any damage to the doors or skirting boards or anything 'noticable' by the Landlord, but I did sleep downstairs for the first week or two after we brought them inside so i could stop them if they tried chewing anything important in the middle of the night... :oops:

Although Squidgy has no front teefs, he's only allowed to free range when we're at home. Fortunately I work from home a lot :D
This is for his own safety, as he likes to go exploring and sometimes gets stuck :roll: We've tried to make the room as bunny proof as possible, but he still manages to find some mischief. He got himself upside down trying to get out of a gap between the furniture once :oops::roll::lol:
Silly bunnies!

Stop it, you make me love him even more!! :love::love::love:

:lol: oh yay for nosey housebuns!!

beties not the cleanest bun on earth but we love him and being a frenchie hes free range 24/7 and he gets up to mischief bout 3amish..and jumps on nikkis bedsette and digs at it and looks like hes gonna wee on it. so i get up and shoo him of for sit enxt to him and give him a cuddle. i think hes annoyed as wanted a hug from her right then and she wasnt there. to show his disgust or annoyance he will pee on certaint hings or places...:oops:

but hes not a bad ole boy realy. my mums like how come you havent got rabbit penns all round your tv anymore and so on..cos now its jsut bertie..hes too big to investiagte small areas and get tangled up or stuck like bif etc...and he wont chew a wire unless its in his way and annoys him. so keep em to the side and so on and he ignores them.
being a rew helps too...they dont see as well as other buns cos my other frenchie was a fawn n white butterfly and she was soooo norty and destrcutive and did chew wires etc for the fun of it:oops::lol:

ah poor old willow..gone but never forgotten..too much destrcution left behind:lol: i do miss her so much....even the nortiness.

bertie has his monets but hes a laid back old sausage who prefers to snooooze.

merlins a furry termite..no way!! bifs a chewer but not like him..nothjgns that bad!! :lol:

try putting pen panels around them or a folding playpen whilst youre out at work..makes em feel free range to a point but also secure.

NEVER say NEVER with a bunny..one chomp......:lol:

I leave Wispa out all the time, over night and during the day. But I think he is a well behaved bunny.. He's only destroyed the carpet.

Mine had a bad habit of wall paper eating when young but grew out of it.
I started with freedom of 1 room, then all downstairs, then the house.
He voluntarily comes to bed when I go - free in the room with all his stuff.
Does a few stray poops about 10 /day.
He hasn't worked out that sometimes pushing a door closes it, so I've a bit of carpet digging where he's tried to get out (rare)
He's as good as gold.
I think a lot depends on your buns.

Petal and Frank are really good. Frank had his incisors removed so can't chew anything and Petal doesn't anyway. They live under my spare bed and have free range of everywhere except my bedroom .

Petal has indulged in a spot of carpet digging in the past, but nothing lately.

My rats have done far more damage lol

I've had a few minor issues like digging at the carpet, chewing through phone cables, jumping on my dresser and knocking things over, etc.

Generally buns will behave the same way as they do when you're at home, so destructive buns aren't going to turn into angels and vice versa....I definitely wouldn't ever be able to allow my floorboard chewer to free range

I think I have been ridiculously lucky with Bella. As soon as she became a housebun I let her freerange instantly and we've never had any real problems with her :D A couple of books have been nibbled and our cheap shoe rack has a nice new pattern on the wood but apart from that she's an angel :love:
The only thing she's banned from when we're not here is our sofa, we have a NIC cage around it so she can't get on as it's a new cream sofa and I don't want bunnywee on it!!

Oh one thing Wispa has done, I have some storage boxes under my bed and he has chewed his way through a couple.

My two are free range in their bedroom all the time. Herbie has no front teeth, so doesnt chew, Inca just doesnt chew!

Sometimes i come home to poops everywhere, or the vet beds been chucked over the room, but apart from that they are pretty well behaved.

When they are out in the other rooms Inca never chews anything.

(Watch this, i bet i wake up tomorrow and Inca has chewed everything possible!)

matthew and tabitha did a bit of freelance free ranging one night when i hadn't checked the joins of the hoppery. they destroyed the sound system, dug a significant hole in the corner of the new living room carpet and ripped acres of wallpaper off the walls. they did other things too, that i can't remember, including laying claim to a lot of places with piles of wee and poo.

they have a hoppery made of two puppy pens. it changes most weeks, for interest. it is the same size as the bedroom they used for a while and takes up a significant amount of space in the living room.

No I wouldnt trust mine! I dont think I could sleep at night knowing they were roaming about and getting into trouble! :roll:

Never had a problem with Lola and Max, Brian and Jemimah its risky, but hey they're worth it. Lenny is fine and Betty well we're yet to find out :-D

Mine has recently started to chew the walls and yes its rented :roll:. So i've covered the bits shes chewed in cardboard. She a digger too but usually digs in her cardboard boxes and the ikea rug i bought her. At night she is in her dog crate but she stays in there even when it's open, so i think she is happy in there. She's recently started to flop anywhere and everywhere, so cute :love: She knows how to be cute and be forgiven for her misbehaving!

Chewing cables has been my biggest problem with Louie, our own fault though for leaving things lying around.

Last night my daughter saw him sneak in the lounge, where he isn't allowed, and I suddenly heard a noise and he had chewed through the netbook cable, completely wrecked :shock:

Oh and the dining table and chair legs are looking a bit shredded as well.

My two are free range downstairs and upstairs too when Im home! They have munched/dug some carpet, top of a sofa and the curtains and gone through a few wires, but they've definately got better after neutering and as they've got older! They tend to sleep a lot of the day! I remember being very nervous when I first let them free range over night and when I was at work! They hay and stray poops do get spreed around tho :lol:

Back