PDA

View Full Version : Microchipping

AilsaDS
08-01-2010, 08:40 PM
I was just wondering how many of you have your buns microchipped & do you think it's worthwhile doing?

Also, if your bun is microchipped, does your vet know?

I got my bunny microchipped @ the rescue centre when I adopted him & when I informed my vet he told me that the vet practice didn't routinely check buns for microchips because they didn't know that the York RSPCA chip them :?
But now they're going to check buns as well as cats & dogs.

Mackers
08-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Personally, I'm not a fan of microchipping in any animal. It's a foreign body that shouldn't be there and they have a habbit of moving about so they don't always end up in the same area that they were injected into.

My MIL's dog has a huge area of thickened scar tissue in the back of his neck where his chip is. It drives him crazy coz it's all itchy all the time.

With my bunnies, it's extremely unlikely that they'd get out of my garden and, to be totally honest, if they did, it's also extremely unlikely that they'd survive to find they're way back to me :cry: I back onto a busy main road.

So in answer to your question, none of my bunnies are microchipped and I wouldn't have them done. But this is just MY opinion as I know other people have great things to say about them, which is fair enough.

ecudc
08-01-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm sort of on the same wave length on microchipping for bunnies. I think the chance of them surviving the urban fox if they got out is very slim and being caught by someone who would take them to a vet who would check for microchip probably even slimmer,

Stator
08-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Mine are all chipped. If they escaped, or someone stole them I want there to be the maximum possible chance that I could get them back. I would inform all of the local vets that they were missing and provide photos and ask them to scan any rabbits for chips.

rambo_barbie
09-01-2010, 02:22 AM
I had Dex microchipped when he was castrated. Vet sorted it all out and sent the registration dox to petlog for me. It was brilliant and neither dex or I have had any problems with it. Yes, sometimes they do move about but I just figured If someone stole him or he wandered off its something that might mean he would come back to me. Probably not, but i'd do anything for that bun, so its a harmless precaution as far as i'm concerned.

I had him castrated for his health and welfare, try to feed him the best food I can get and try to keep him safe/warm/entertained etc... as any responsible pet owner should... just think this is an extension of that. But again, just my opinion. Its a personal choice.

tigerangel
09-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Mine are both chipped :wave: my RSPCA chips them before sending them off to a new home. At the moment I live in a rented house with a secure garden but that might not always be the case, so I would very much rather that I gave them every oppertunity of being found just in case, though tbh I think it's 'peace of mind' for me more than anything else.

The fact that they were both strays handed in to the RSPCA shows that rabbits do survive and don't always get eaten by foxes if they escape :) Actually quite a number of the rabbits at my local RSPCA are strays, the foxes around here are really not very good at hunting...

monkeypuzzler
09-01-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm a big fan of chipping. We've had a few stray bunnies brought in to the vets and we always scan them. It's such good value for lifelong ID.

BB Mommy
09-01-2010, 10:24 AM
I think microchipping of cats and dogs should be law.
Working in a rescue I can see the value of that everyday when people are reunited with their lost pet.

I haven't chipped my buns, and with hindsight I should have got them done whilst they were under GA for their spays, but I won't get them done now as realistically the chances of them escaping from my garden are pretty slim - it's like colditz out there - and I can't bear them to have it done concious.

LionheadLuver
09-01-2010, 01:56 PM
I have both of my rabbits microchipped because they go into boarding once a year so they are moved around a bit and I want to know that if they did escape then there is a greater chance of them coming back to me.

Mackers
09-01-2010, 02:20 PM
I think microchipping of cats and dogs should be law.

I think it should be law that they all have a permanent form of identification but I also firmly believe it should be up to the owner whether that's a microchip or a tatoo.

Would YOU want a microchip (foreign body) inserted in the back of your neck???? If it's not good enough for me, it's not good enough for my pets.

Rhian33
09-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Would YOU want a microchip (foreign body) inserted in the back of your neck???? If it's not good enough for me, it's not good enough for my pets.

Lots of women choose the contraceptive implant, that's very similar.

Animals sometimes can't find their way home so I think it's a good idea. Visual methods of ID can be destroyed e.g. if an animal is stolen. Microchipping is more likely to enable an owner to get their animal back.

Both mine are microchipped and even though they can't escape I feel safer in the knowledge that if they do get out somehow I have done everything in my power to enable me to get them back.

Mackers
09-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Lots of women choose the contraceptive implant, that's very similar.

Animals sometimes can't find their way home so I think it's a good idea. Visual methods of ID can be destroyed e.g. if an animal is stolen. Microchipping is more likely to enable an owner to get their animal back.

Both mine are microchipped and even though they can't escape I feek safer in the knowledge that if they do get out somehow I have done everything in my power to enable me to get them back.

Each to their own I suppose. We must all do what we believe is best for our own pets.

Santa
09-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Would YOU want a microchip (foreign body) inserted in the back of your neck???? If it's not good enough for me, it's not good enough for my pets

I'd probably prefer one to a tattoo to be honest :lol: I do take your point that it's a foreign body but there are so many of them out there and so few problems with them that I think it's a risk worth taking for my cats. Yes they do sometimes migrate but overall they don't tend to cause problems even if they do move.

I don't think I'd bother doing the rabbits (and I certainly wouldn't do a rabbit conscious!) but for the cats it definitely gives me peace of mind that I stand a really good chance of finding out what has happened to them or getting them back if they should go missing in any way. On balance, I think there's more risk of them going missing than there is of a microchip causing them a problem :)

lilbun
09-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Properly done a microchip can be inserted as easily as an injection. Much preferable to a tattoo in my opinion.
I'm planning on getting mine microchipped at their next booster if I remember :)

Starlight
09-01-2010, 08:52 PM
All of my girls have bio-therm chips, so scanning them will also bring up their temperatures :thumb:

lildebs
09-01-2010, 08:58 PM
I have had Bella and Oscar micro chipped as a precaution more than anything...I hear so many buns going missing/stolen on here and although I have a secure garden and padlocked hutch, at least I'd have hope if they was ever to disappear..I watched them being done and they were both injected and did'nt flinch, it was so quick...I feel I made the right choice, you have to do what you feel is right at the end of the day :D

pooks
09-01-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm a vet nurse and i also believe that microchipping should become compulsory. However, at this stge i should admit that i do not have y bunnies chipped. The main reason for this is that none of the four vet practices i have worked in have ever routinely scanned bunnies for chips (I'm sure if a stray bunny was brought in we would scan it as we do for every stray cat and dog) and therefore i feel it a waste of time. Plus, the chances of anyone bringing a stray rabbit it are slim and the chances of mr.fox finding my stray rabbit before a very kind member of the public are pretty high.

I have to say though, if it were to be compulsory i would think that far more people would think twice before abandoning their pet. I can understand that circumstance change and people are not always able to keep their pet for the duration of its life, but to dump it, abandon it or worse is simply not acceptable. As a pet owner they should either hand it over to a rescue or even better, find it a home themselves. At work, we have reunited so many owners with their pets simply because the pet has a chip. the owner is nearly always contactable on the same day we receive the pet. However, an un-chipped pet often stays with us for 7 days before we find a new owner.

I also think that responsible pet ownership should be taught at school (i dont mean as a full subject like maths and english but a couple of hours in a home economics class wouldn't go amiss!!).
Maybe that way i wouldn't come across so many morons!

Stator
09-01-2010, 11:44 PM
I think it should be law that they all have a permanent form of identification but I also firmly believe it should be up to the owner whether that's a microchip or a tatoo.

Are you neutered? What about your rabbits?

pooks
10-01-2010, 12:29 AM

I have to say, i agree with you stator.

So if we're onto the argument of a foreign body being put into your pet and this not being 'right' what about these points:

-How many of you would take a blood transfusion if you were dying?
-How many of you vaccinate your pets (and yourselves for that matter)?
-How many of you have had broken bones repaired with metal pins/plates?
-How many of you have had an organ donation?

I could go on.
The point is, a lot of modern medicine involves putting 'foreign' objects/materials/drugs into the body - it doesn't make them wrong.
I'm sure that everybody on this forum has had something injected or placed into them that has helped to keep them alive.

So implanting a tiny object into the back of our pets neck's to help us to be re-united with them should they ever go missing or get stolen is, in my ponion, a completely acceptable 'foreign' body.
Most pets don't bat an eyelid at the injection.

Quite frankly, i'd prefer the pain of that needle than the pain of a tatoo.

Rachel89
10-01-2010, 12:35 AM
Mine aren't, never really thought of it tbh :oops:

The horses and cats are chipped, although we have had so much hassle with one of our cats costing 1000s because of a chip and even now it still plays her up :(

My dogs tattood although he had it before we got him :)

Mokey
10-01-2010, 02:03 PM
I work in a rehoming centre and it always amuses me to see how many people looked shocked when I say "This is Peter, he came in as a stray." nearly all of them say "What? A stray rabbit?!?" like it never happens. Yes, a stray rabbit may be caught by a fox before anyone notices it but the urban fox is in declin now, especially in areas that have wheely bins that are harder to break into.

I'm due to bring home my first bunnies soon and i'm pretty sure i'm gonna have them chipped when they are neutered (only 13 weeks old atm :love:). I am going to do everything I can to keep them as secure as possible but I'm also fully expecting them to test out all the hutch defences and to think of inventive little bunny ways of escaping to the jucy jucy grass ouside their hutch.

True, microchips do sometimes move before they can settle but most vets and rescues scan all over the animals bod just in case. A tattoo can be another option however it is not foolproof. Racing greyhounds are still being tattooed but now they are also being mcrochiped. The problem with tattooing is that if a person is determined to abandon an animal by any means necesary with no way of being traced then they will simply cut of the poor animals ear when its being dumped. A chip is very difficult to remove.

But i'm going off topic slightly.

Chips dont hurt the animal in any way other than a slight pain while being injected. They cant feel it afterwards and if it helps reunite a lost pet with its human then its all good.

Debster
10-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Hmm, have been wondering about microchipping, so this thread has been very helpful. Am going to speak to my vets about it and maybe do it when the VHD injections are next due.

Is it normally an injection? I think someone mentioned getting it done under a GA somewhere in the thread...?

angelmouse
10-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Both my bunnies are microchipped. Eddie was routinely done by the RSPCA before we adopted him, they chip all bunnies near me. Whilst Bindi was done at an RSPCA health check day a few months later after we decided it was a good idea. It didn't bother her at all.
Both have their microchip numbers registered at the vets, and are well known around here, especially by the local children. And are bordered at a place used by the RSPCA, but I want the best chance of getting my bunnies back possible.

Santa
10-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Call me a cynic, but I wouldn't mind betting that a reasonable proportion of 'stray' rabbits taken to rescue centres belong to the people bringing them in. Saying it's stray is a quicker and blame-free way of absolving them of responsibility, while jumping the waiting list at the same time...

Mazda
10-01-2010, 03:36 PM
mine aren't chipped yet. Im going to get them chipped at teh RSPCA, i just need to ring them first. x

sacol4940
10-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Paddy and Peaches are chipped because the RSPCA did it before i adopted them. I'm not sure i'll be getting the others done or not though, as they're indoors and the chances of them escaping are pretty slim.

For those of you in the Midlands though, I noticed in my local Just 4 Pets store that they are doing it for £12.50 per animal, so i guess it'd be the same for all branches maybe???

Rykat
10-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi all

This is an interesting topic. When we first started our rottie rescue I decided to train as a microchip implanter. I looked around at suitable courses, and realised that they differed quite a lot with what the ďstudentĒ would learn and indeed the microchip procedure.

Having seen another rescue person microchip one of their puppies, Iím glad that I chose the system that I did, and in over 5 years of chipping (dogs/cats/rabbits) I have had no problems in the initial implantation nor afterwards (3 of my own rabbits and 4 of my dogs were chipped by me).

Donít get me wrong, when I did my course I was a nervous wreck, but there was a trained vet and nurse there and only after weíd practiced on a stuffed animal for procedure and confidence were we allowed near our animals (we were incouraged to bring upto 3 of our own to do). I admit that I was a nervous wreck with Zander, heís such a laid back bunny that he didnít realise anything was happening, although I kept checking him for the next 24hrs :lol:

I think that much of the problems that people experience (esp. Mackers MILís dog) can be contributed to (a) hygiene during implantation procedure, (b) aftercare (c) method of implantation and (d) if the animal has sensitive skin and would react to even a scratch ie. Eczema. The chip should be deposited into the fatty area between the shoulder blades (not the scruff) as this allegedly reduces migration problems, I wish I could know for sure but like Iíve said before, in over 5 yrs of chipping, none have migrated so far (luck?).

The actual needle used for implantation is larger than for an injection, however it has a "bevelled edge" and believe me it is as sharp as a scapel! The procedure takes seconds and most of the animals I have chipped haven't even noticed, they were more concerned with being restrained by the owner!

I donít have the right to say that no animal will ever experience a problem with a chip migrating (one of our dogs chip had migrated to his elbow, but that was done a while before we rescued him), what I am saying is that I would never hesistate having any of my animals microchipped, but not tattooed. Iíve heard too many accounts of stolen dogs having their ears removed to get rid of a tattoo :censored:

We have 6 dogs, all microchipped, 8 rabbits (6 microchipped, 3 by me, 3 by RSPCA before adoption). The reason I havenít chipped the others is that they are indoor rabbits, and if anyone tried to break in to steal them them theyíd have to get past 5 rotties and a boxer, so good luck to them :lol: If they were outdoor buns and there was a possibility that they could escape then they would all be chipped, too many stray buns end up at rescues.

What I would like say to everyone planning to have their animals microchipped is shop around for prices, the chip itself costs just under £5, the Petlog form is £2, how people justify charging £25 + is beyond me :shock:

If anyone needs anymore info from a "microchip implanter" then please just ask and I'll try to answer any concerns :)

Jaysmonkey
10-01-2010, 04:11 PM
I've never had a bunny microchipped, both my cats are, though Lara was done at the RSPCA. I don't think chipping a bunny is necessary.

Mackers
10-01-2010, 04:11 PM
I have to say though, if it were to be compulsory i would think that far more people would think twice before abandoning their pet.

You are, of course, assuming that the irresponsible owner who is about to dump their pet even bothered to get it microchipped in the first instance, compulsory or not. These would be the same eejits who would not have spent 37.5p on a dog license.

Mackers
10-01-2010, 04:14 PM

I think neutering is a whole different issue since it's done for their long term health to prevent cancer. And in answer to your question, since I am now 40 and have no desire to reproduce, I am quite likely to 'get myself neutered'.

Mackers
10-01-2010, 04:16 PM
The horses and cats are chipped, although we have had so much hassle with one of our cats costing 1000s because of a chip and even now it still plays her up :(

What happened with your cat's chip?

Mackers
10-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Can I just say here that I'm not getting into a 'right or wrong' argument about whether people should microchip their pets. If you decide to microchip your pets then I support you. Millions of people have their pets microchipped and they have no problems whatsoever.

I just strongly believe it should be up to the owner to decide HOW they want their pet identified and it shouldn't be law that it's by microchip. Until chips stop moving around within the body (and stop working as well), I would choose to have my dogs tatooed should permanent ID become compulsory. That is my choice, other people may not approve of tatooing but I prefer it to microchipping.

Yes, tatooing hurts, but it's for a split second and then it's over - I had one of my old GSD's tatooed as she had a tendancy to bolt. But a tatoo can't 'wander' or stop working. Yes, you could argue that an evil person could chop off a dog's ear but there have also been cases of dogs having chips 'hacked' out of their bodies with penknives etc. Until you get rid of evil people, you'll never stop these things going on.

There's no failsafe method of identification unless you go down the DNA route (which can also be done). But that's only as safe as the database the information is held on.

Stator
10-01-2010, 04:33 PM
The problem is that for cats and dogs most people don't have any form of identification. Then their cat gets stuck in a van or the dog chews through a fence or any of the other hundred possibilities and then the pet is gone with no way of getting it back to it's owner. When it is eventually found by one of the few people who care about animals it then ends up in a rescue waiting for someone to care. Some sort of ID should be compulsary for both dogs and cats. I would definately recommend it for rabbits too, you'd be surprised at how many turn up stray somewhere.

Mackers
10-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Some sort of ID should be compulsary for both dogs and cats.

But it already is compulsory for dogs to wear an ID tag showing the owners name and address.

See, this is what I don't understand about people insisting it should be law for all dogs to be microchipped. If people can't even be bothered to hang a 50p tag on their dog's collar, they sure as hell ain't going to pay £25 to get their dog microchipped.

I wholeheartedly agree that all dogs (and cats) should be identifiable but I just can't see a way to MAKE owners do it because, as per usual, it'll only be the responsible owners who do it.

I apologise that this thread is being hijacked a bit. The OP was asking about microchipping rabbits and we've gone off track a bit. Sorry.

Stator
10-01-2010, 05:10 PM
The tag can come off, or be taken off too easily though. They won't think to put it on the animal when it is just safe in their garden. It definately needs to be a permanent ID as far as I'm concerned.

Mackers
10-01-2010, 08:00 PM
The tag can come off, or be taken off too easily though. They won't think to put it on the animal when it is just safe in their garden. It definately needs to be a permanent ID as far as I'm concerned.

I agree, but that still doesn't answer the question of HOW you make people do it. Yes, tags can come off but they still need to have been put on in the first instance. It's no good scanning a stray dog when it's never had a chip injected in the first place - whether it had been 'compulsory' or not. If the owners won't do it, there's no chip to scan. These are the same people who don't tax their cars, don't buy a TV license, don't insure or MOT their cars etc. Exactly what makes people think they will chip their dogs and cats??????

Stator
10-01-2010, 08:49 PM
I agree, but that still doesn't answer the question of HOW you make people do it. Yes, tags can come off but they still need to have been put on in the first instance. It's no good scanning a stray dog when it's never had a chip injected in the first place - whether it had been 'compulsory' or not. If the owners won't do it, there's no chip to scan. These are the same people who don't tax their cars, don't buy a TV license, don't insure or MOT their cars etc. Exactly what makes people think they will chip their dogs and cats??????

You could easily check the ID of any dog that becomes known to the police. If they don't have an ID then the owners get a fine and you come back later in a few weeks to check. If the dog is not there you would double the fine. When they see these so called 'status' dogs being held by youths out on the street, they could easily scan them and if there is no ID you get the name, address and give them a big fine. And the police are quite good at telling whether an address is fake or not and checking that out