• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Post op collars?? Please help

Bungle bunny

Mama Doe
I have never heard of any other bun coming back from the neuter with a colar on, all 3 of ours had one on. Did any of yours? We have been told to keep them on until Monday and to take them on and off so they can eat????

Its totally pitiful, they are trying to wash but can only lick the inside of the collar, they cant move around too well as they keep bumping into things.

We have taken them off so they can eat as we dont know how long it is since the had something but all they are interested in is licking the wounds.
Herbs wont eat anything but is bleeding slightly.

Fudge has eaten and pooed.

Bruce wont eat or move too much but is not licking his wound.

What normally happens about this?

Please help

im not sure none of my buns had collors on:? its only when theyve been seen pulling stitches out they are needed i think,

someone else will help on that one

None of mine have ever had collars and my vet doesnt recommend them as bunnys are grazers and eat little and often but cant do this in a collar.

personaly our vet only recomends they are used if the rabbit pulls at the stitches ...
our old vet used to put them on all the time .

i dont like them as they seem to stress the bun especialy for the first 24 hrs till they get used to it ...and in my eyes a neutered / spayed bun is already stressed enough . :?
we only use them if a bun has had to be restitched .

dont want to tell you to take them off though as if they do pull stitches out it will be another trip back to vets for re stitching :?..and i dont want to be to blame .

I have only had to use one once in 12 years. The problem is they can't eat their caecotrophes as well as being completely stressed out by them :(

My Daisy had to have one on as she pulled at her stitches and got a wound infection.I had to help her to eat initially.None of my boys have had collars.

One of our rescue buns had to have a "lampshade" collar on as she was pulling at her stitches really badly; she opened herself right up and had to go back to be restiched, it was horrible. She was obviously unhappy with it, like your buns she was "washing" but only being able to lick the inside of her collar.

The worst bit was she managed to get a front leg through the collar and it got stuck, she was like it for a while before we noticed and freed her :(:(

We then cut up a sock to make a sort of full body bandage thing to cover the stiches, but she immediately managed to pull it off and start chewing herself again so it was back on with the collar. Luckily she was ok in the end. :)

I would never ever want a post neuter bunny to be fitted with a collar as standard, but in an extreme circumstances it can be the only option. It's really essential to keep monitoring your bun after a neuter though to see if they are undoing stitches....when I had my Poppy neutered I booked a couple of days off work afterwards so I could keep a close eye on her. :)

Do you know what type of stitches they used? There is a special type they are supposed to use on bunnies.

Knowing my four rabbits I would take it off, they wouldn't cope with it at all.

Thanks so much everyone, that was a bit stressful there. We have decided not to put the collars back on and just keep a very close eye on them, they seem to be licking a bit but not too much at the moment. They have all been moving around and have nibbled some greens and apple, Herbs even ate a bit of hay, (phew).

Both Bruce and Fudge have now pooped, just waiting for Herbs to move to see if he leaves anything behind.

Simon picked them from the vets and they told him that they have disolvable stitches with some glue over the top of that. Does that sound right?

Feeling a bit calmer now I know they are not having the collars back on.

My bun had dissolvable stitches too & he didn't have to wear a collar. He did get an infection and his testes swelled but a quick trip to the vet & some metacam & baytril soon cleared it up.

He was also very quiet for a while after he came home from his op & his ears & body was cold so I gave him a fleece to help him stay warm until he recovered & he seemed to appreciate it.
I was lucky he had his op under a local so I didn't have a woozy sleepy bunny to contend with too though.

2 weeks later & he's bouncing around like he'd never had an op at all :love:

My girlie buns have always had subcutaneous 'hidden' stitches so all you see is a thin line where the incision has been made. There are no stitches for the buns to get at. It always amazes me how the vets manage to do this :shock: There is a new collar called a 'comfy collar' and the smallest size is for cats so it might fit a large bunny. It's an inflatable thing like a rubber ring that goes round their neck and IMO is much kinder than an elizabethan collar.

Radish was spayed on Tuesday and wasn't given a collar. I was just told to check the wound twice a day.

I checked it Wednesday and it seemed to have opened so she had to go back and have more glue as she had disolvable stitched and glue on the top. She is licking the wound and she has antibiotics for that but she isn't chewing it.

None of mine have ever had a collar fitted and the can be very very stressful for rabbits. It interupts their eyesight, stops them eating caecals (which are essential for digestion), and stops them cleaning - which they are desperate to do when they come back smelling of 'vet'.

As others have said, it depends on what sort of stitches and thei reaction to the stictches .

Did they have pain killer to come home with??

My girlie buns have always had subcutaneous 'hidden' stitches so all you see is a thin line where the incision has been made. There are no stitches for the buns to get at. It always amazes me how the vets manage to do this :shock: There is a new collar called a 'comfy collar' and the smallest size is for cats so it might fit a large bunny. It's an inflatable thing like a rubber ring that goes round their neck and IMO is much kinder than an elizabethan collar.

that is really interesting about the new collar, do you have any pics/links about it? do you think they'd be able to get at it with their teeth and destroy it? :lol:

I'm interested in solutions to this as I don't want a repeat of what happend with the little bun I mentioned earlier. :?

Back