• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A bit of a moan - sorry it's long

batmobile

Mama Doe
As some of you know, I have not had a great time over the last 6 months. It started with me losing two beloved rescue buns in quick succession - one to a stomach problem and one was killed in broad daylight by a stoat - having to have one of my dogs put to sleep and finding out I have to have a hernia op... (not the worst thing in the world but I don't do anesthetic well). Anyway, I was ready to give up on rescuing bunnies as I lost all confidence losing two so suddenly and quickly, (I have an 11 year old bunny who has never had any probs) but thanks to the support of some lovely forum members, very dear to me, I was persuaded otherwise. I took on a lovely dutch/wild cross family of 4 for my big hutch run combo and the first few weeks were a nightmare as they kept escaping into the stable and couldn't be caught, challenging. We found the weakness and fixed it; for a week all was well and then the Mum got bloat. We fought for her and got her through it (Personally I think it was the stress of the constant moving - we had to keep changing them into runs to stop them escaping and the fact that she is so responsible for her children's safety) after several trips to the vet and a lot of tlc. She is fine now but after the other issues, I started to despair as I love them.
Today one of my newest pair who I took on because I fell in love with them in their foster home, has gone to the rspca hospital (where they came from) as she has lost about 50% of her body weight and seems to have weakness in her back legs as she couldn't even jump onto the roof of her run shelter... As I had only had her a few weeks, they are taking the case on for which I am grateful, but I am heartbroken as it seems to be one thing after another. I don't believe it is me; I think I have been a bit unlucky but I love all my buns and am finding it a bit hard to comprehend at the moment. I know they are happy and that I give them the best life possible but I am losing confidence and coping power.
I would like some healing vibes for 'Newt' who is extremely poorly, please and vibes that should she not make it, Ripley, her 'sister', will find another friend to love.
I will keep you updated. I am sorry this is long and I am sorry it sounds self pitying but we all know how quickly rabbits go downhill... I have 9 bunnies in total and 8 of them are ok (thanks to Mum pulling through) but it feels like a disaster at the moment. :shock:
Thanks for this forum and the support...

I am really sorry that things have been so difficult for you :cry:

Has the Vet mentioned EC as a possibility re Newt ? If so have you been advised to treat all your other Rabbits with a 28 day course of Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole)

I really hope that Newt will pull through xx

That's amongst other things what is being tested for. Her bonded partner is with her, so if it is EC, she will be treated. I am off to the vet's as soon as test results come back if it's EC though they didn't share the same hutch/ run/ bowls etc. However, they will all be treated regardless if it is. They definitely think kidneys are failing for some reason but she is staying there over the weekend and until any results come in.

Fingers crossed for the gorgeous girl, although when we talked this afternoon I thought it sounded very likely to be EC. This is NOT your fault Jo. Things do go wrong with bunsters and often there's little warning. If it's EC,which is likely given the hind leg weakness, then she came to you with it..it's nothing to do with your set-up, (which if fab and I'm SO envious of it)! You don't need to wait for the results before treating the others..your vet will give you some. Ask for the liquiid one(for dogs etc I think) as it works out considerably cheaper. You know where I am if you need any help. Thinking of you.
Hx

Last edited:
Thanks, Hilda. I just feel bereft as I really love those girlies. I love all my bunsters but the 'stable' 4 are my 'heart' bunnies. I was hoping to bond them all too. anyway, it can't be helped and please don't you feel bad either. From what I've since read, it's a likely thing or certainly common. I am keeping fingers crossed but to be honest, it is not good. The vet - who was fab - said the one thing going for her (she is emaciated) is that she is still lively and curious, one of the things you and I fell in love with in them. I will get some Panacur for the two in the stable on Monday when the first test results come in (either way I will treat them) but for now, let's just all stay positive. He did say it is possibly 'just' a kidney infection as her head is not tilted and she hopped around quite well at the examination. she's a weak bun at the moment but you never know.... :cry:

Sending you lots of good vibes and love and kisses.You are doing a fantastic job.Spring and Summer are just around the corner,x

Don't apologise for having a moan, that's what we are here for :)

I really, really hope Newt pulls through, and you have better time over the next few months xx

I can sympathize about the wild buns escaping. I've never had a wild cross domestic, but I have a hand reared wild bun who is into everything and fast as lightening....they're're more like squirrels than rabbits aren't they? I've lost my wildie up the chimney before, and a few days ago she escaped into the engine space of my OH's car! :shock:

I'm planning to build a double door system to my wildie's run, so I can get into her run without her sneeking past me

Jo im so so sorry you have had such an awful time and really dont deserve this it really isnt your fault bunnies can be such difficult creatures.

I know Hilda and Leanne are there for you but if there is anything I can do to help just let me know x

Back