• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What does a rabbit sneeze sound like?

Alfagirl

Mama Doe
Hi,

Me again, probably asking a silly question, but what does a rabbit sneeze sound like?:oops:
Echo is making a strange sneeze like noise with perhaps a bit of a honk in it. I though he was just honking at first (I've never heard one), but he seems to be cleaning his face afterwards.

Am I just being paranoid?

Eilidh

Did he just stick his face in something dusty?

A bunny sneeze sounds much like a human one, a quick exhale of air with a small sound.

Ah...chooo! ;)

Honking can be because of his hormones, but a sneeze sounds like a "tshzzz" (like a cat.)

Honking and grunting is sexual/dominating and is nothing to worry about. It'll go when he's neutered. :D

Mine sneeze when they're burying their head into a handful of grass and get some up their noses!

They tend to sneeze lots in a row and are so cute when the do it.

aaaaaa choo!

Yeah, I think it was definitely a sneeze, and he's stopped now. Kept shaking his head so I'm assuming it was just something up his nose.

He's head deep in veg now though so I'm pretty sure everything is ok!!:lol::lol:

yup head in pile of hay....or berties case..breathing in his pellets being a frenchie!!:lol:

however this month its been a case of bertie being snotty and having pastuerella.

when do you decide its more than a normal sneeze..when you find white or clear huge globules of snot on the floor or rug.:(

Hi,

Me again, probably asking a silly question, but what does a rabbit sneeze sound like?:oops:
Echo is making a strange sneeze like noise with perhaps a bit of a honk in it. I though he was just honking at first (I've never heard one), but he seems to be cleaning his face afterwards.

Am I just being paranoid?

Eilidh

This is often a symptom of an upper respiratory tract infection. My grey nethie gets it if I get a batch of dusty hay. If untreated it gets worse and mine ends up honking like a duck (the best description I can make) if I don't get some medication from the vet for it, then it clears up completely.
Mine also does the face rubbing thing, which made me suspect a tooth problem but it turned out not the case.

I would suggest a vet check just to make sure.

A bunny sneeze can be an almost-silent 'chu!', can be a little squeak, and can be quite a rough sounding duck-honk in my experience :lol: Depends on the bunny really and what kind of noise range they have :wave:

It's totally stopped now, and he's not snotty or anything. And seems to be breathing normally. I'm keeping a close eye on him though!
I'll keep an eye on it over the weekend, as due to a tumble down the stairs I'm housebound for a few days! I'm sure they will both be looking for me to leave them alone so they can get up to some Buneh nonsense! :lol::lol:

I think they sound just like human sneezes, but smaller :)

My rabbit Skye has sneezed occasionally since I got her, but it never develops into anything. My previous rabbit Sorrel started a sneezy fit on a thursday and by saturday she developed a really bad resp infection :(

So all in all it's probably nothing, but keep an eye out for snot/excessive further sneezing.

Back