• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

vhd cylap

mini lop1

Wise Old Thumper
once again, this time with locksley he had the inhection on wednesday morning he remained very sleepy all wednesday and all thursday, anyone else had sleepy buns for such along time afterwards? :?

he's back to his cheeky self now :lol:

Bungle was a bit drowsy after his but the babes didnt seem to flinch from it. glad he is back to his normal adorable self now. :love:

Mmm can't say I noticed with our 3, mind you Mr F is so laid back and chilled it'd be hard to notice :D

:lol: i think lox will be like that when he is older :love: today he kept trying to chew rosie's pink fleece, soo i moved it and put his brown towel down, then he layed down on it, maybe he said hey i not want pink :lol:

Sora had hers on Saturday, I was a bit worried having read a number of cylap concerns on here a few months back, but I needn't have worried as she was absolutely fine :)

:wave: Gizmo was fine no different but, I think Ness seemed a bit quiet and seemed a bit stiff for 24 hours, still normal but, just a bit off colour. Right as rain the following day.

Please remember with the vhd jab that they can show a reaction upto 3 weeks after innoculation (e.g going off their food etc)

Personally I'd only have the Lapinect version, and would steer clear of the cylap based on the number of post-vacc limp/leg problems that have been reported.
Didn't Jane collect info from people with Cylap probs to pass onto the manufacturer?

My vets only use Lapinject and I've never had a problem with any of my buns with this, even the old and poorly ones.

I've sent an email to Fort Dodge and i had a reply saying they have sent my email to the relavent department:roll:

:wave: I had read a thread on here when I did a search on VHD before I took either of mine for their jab and I queried about the 'limp' and side affects and the vet said he had never heard about it but, wasn't surprised as a similar thing can happen in a certain vaccine for dogs. They didn't stock Lapinject and he also said that in a lot of the vaccines the 'base' ingredient is from the same source and therefore it's not always easy to determine what is causing the side affects of one particular manufacturers vaccine. I would imagine if anyones buns experience side affects it is important to inform the vet who has administered it so that they can keep a record, I know my vaccination card has the batch number etc on so if I was concerned then I would have let them record that against that batch and one would hope if several people do that with the same 'batch number' they would contact the manufacturer / supplier.

Molly and Polly will be going for their first jabs next week - should we insist on Lapinject 'shopping around' the local vets if neccessary ?

:wave:I queried it with my vet and they were happy to administer Cylap they stressed that any problems and I should go back or ring and inform them and mine were OK it's your choice though. I do trust them so went ahead. If you would feel more comfortable doing that though then it's fine, it really is a bit like any vaccination you just weight it up and take the professionals advice and go with what you feel is less risky. It is tricky, I felt like that when I had the 'swine flu' jab which I wasn't going to have initially :lol::lol:

Molly and Polly will be going for their first jabs next week - should we insist on Lapinject 'shopping around' the local vets if neccessary ?

Lapinject comes in a vial of 5 doses which has to be used on the same day, so many vets now keep both types in stock so they can use each one depending on how many bunnies they are due to vaccinate each day. Lapinject has only been available for the past couple of years - before that cylap was the only option and was widely used with some, but not many serious, problems, so personally I wouldn't worry about it too much but it's your call. If they have lapinject in stock I would ask for it as a first choice though.

Anecdotally, the risks of developing a limp after administration of cylap is reduced if the vet changes the needle between drawing up the drug and injecting it :)

Incidentally, lapinject gives immunity in 6 days whereas cylap is 21 - anyone know why this is so vastly different? Does it mean that, while cylap tends to give more reactions, lapinject is 'harder' on the immune system, developing a quicker response?

:wave:I queried it with my vet and they were happy to administer Cylap they stressed that any problems and I should go back or ring and inform them and mine were OK it's your choice though. I do trust them so went ahead. If you would feel more comfortable doing that though then it's fine, it really is a bit like any vaccination you just weight it up and take the professionals advice and go with what you feel is less risky. It is tricky, I felt like that when I had the 'swine flu' jab which I wasn't going to have initially :lol::lol:

Just had a snigger....you mention the swine flu jab...then the post following yours says "Did they offer you Lapinject"!!
Sorry..I just had a giggle....:oops::lol::lol::lol:

Back