• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Taking rabbits to Vet tonight?

LMc

Young Bun
Hey everyone:wave:
Ben needs to go to the vet tonight (Ive been puting it off due to weather but he needs his teeth checking). Im worried about taking him out in this weather as he is an indoor bunny.
Obviously Pippin will go with him, so they are not seperated, and hopefully they will snuggle up to keep warm:love: but any advice on how to help them stay toasty in their carrier?
Ive got towels on the radiators now so that they wil be warm to put in with them but could I do anything else?
Going at 6 as I want OH to come with me so that he can drive! (We live in the middle of nowhere and roads are very very icy/snowy:shock:)
Thanks

Do you have a snugglesafe you could put in with them? Either that, or maybe a water bottle, filled with warm tap water and put it under their towels :)

I wouldnt advise a water bottle for unsupervised use, but if its just to the vets and back and your with them they will be fine and it will keep them warm :love:

I would be wary of making the carrier too warm as they won't have anywhere to escape to if they get too hot - once you've been in the car for a little while it will warm up and presumably the vets will have their heating on as well.

If you have a long drive, it would be worth taking a snugglesafe or a hot water bottle with you, just in case you end up stranded for a while.

I took mine to the vets very recently in sub-zero temperatures, I just made sure I wasn't outside for very long (so quick into the car and quick out of the car at the other end) but aside from that I just stuffed the carrier with a bit more hay and put a towel over the top of it (a sacrificial towel, as I had to cut a hole in it for the handle :lol:) to reduce any draughts, and they were fine :wave:

I've been to the vets pretty much every day this week with Muppet (also a house rabbit).

I havent done anything particular to ensure he's warm. He goes straight into the car (in his carrier) which has a towel for him to lie on and one over the top to keep it dark, just as usual. The car warms up quickly enough.

I would suggest taking some hay/water/bowl with you JUST IN CASE you get stuck somewhere. In the same way as you need blankets, hot drink, good boots and a shovel... ;) Take some extra blankets so you can swaddle his carrier if anything like that happens, but just for driving there in a heated car you wont need anything special.

Back