• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rexy winter coats?

weeble

This is my first winter with Albert and he came in in October due to having sore hocks. They are much better now and we are moving house in a few weeks so I am hoping when the weather is better he and Evie might be able to go back outside as I will have more space and am going to try him on some rubber matting and straw.

Planning ahead I am wondering how Albert will cope with the cold next winter? Do rex buns grow a normal winter coat? Enough to keep them warm like a normal bun or do they need extra protection?

This is my first winter with Albert and he came in in October due to having sore hocks. They are much better now and we are moving house in a few weeks so I am hoping when the weather is better he and Evie might be able to go back outside as I will have more space and am going to try him on some rubber matting and straw.

Planning ahead I am wondering how Albert will cope with the cold next winter? Do rex buns grow a normal winter coat? Enough to keep them warm like a normal bun or do they need extra protection?

They grow a denser coat which is just as warm as a 'normal' furred Bun :D

I'll try and find a pic of Zac getting rid of his 'thermals', hang on a mo'.......

Here you go

007-34.jpg

:wave:

Last edited:
How about in the snow? Drusilla wants to be out - see Dorset George thread - but it's so deep that I daren't let her - she'll get soaked and cold :cry:

How about in the snow? Drusilla wants to be out - see Dorset George thread - but it's so deep that I daren't let her - she'll get soaked and cold :cry:

I dont think I'd allow any Bun get covered in snow. But I know I am neurotic and over-protective.

I dont think I'd allow any Bun get covered in snow. But I know I am neurotic and over-protective.

I let DG out with Drusilla yesterday (he gets stressed if kept in and won't eat so it's a really hard call) but the snow's even deeper today and I daren't let any bun out but am terrified it will mean he goes into stasis. :cry:

Wow Jane thats a lot of fluff think Albert will be fine!!

The Dutch lot have amazing coats and have been sitting out in their run despite having a shed to go into :roll:

I've bought mine in as he went into statis which the vet believes was because of the cold weather. He's not happy being inside. He prefers it outside. :(

My previous bunny was a rex and lived outside for most of her long life. She had a lovely little husbun to snuggle up to and keep warm and was fine.

My current foster bunny, Dayze, is a rex and she has lots of extra bedding, tarpauline, duvet over the hutch, a snuggle safe and carrier stuffed with hay. She seems to be coping with the cold weather better than me although I'm sure she would prefer a nice male bunny husbun to the snuggle safe:)

Back