• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Confused, too many mixed answers so I'm asking the experts.

River

Warren Scout
Kale: Good or bad?
Seeds in Pellets: Good or bad?
Carrots(daily): Good or bad?
Salt Block: Good or bad?
Leaf(NOT ICEBURG) lettuce: good or bad?
Pea Pods: Good or bad?
Celery: Good or bad?

And what fruits?

Just to warn you, people on here will have different opinions too :lol:

Kale: Good, but only in small doses because of the hight calcium content.
Seeds in Pellets: I'd say bad. Seeds are very high in fat. Lovely as a treat though.
Carrots(daily): Bad. Carrots are high in sugar which isn't great for your bun's teeth. Nice, but not every day.
Salt Block: Good.
Leaf(NOT ICEBURG) lettuce: Good
Pea Pods: Good, as long as you'd eat them ;)
Celery: Good.

As for fruit, it's a treat food. Not a full list but apple, banana, pineapple, strawberries, papaya. My bun loves dried banana. :)

kale - ok in small amounts due to high calcium
seeds in pellets - bad
carrots - high in sugar, shouldn't be fed daily, although if you wanted to, you could grate some over the other veg to add the taste of it
salt block - bad. try some other things to knaw, like willow sticks, branches
lettuce - not really any nutritional value, can cause runny stools/diarrhoea, better things to feed, i wouldn't feed it
peapods - have heard of people feeding them but i don't
celery - again, people do feed it but i would be nervous of all the stringy bits. have heard of piggies choking on the strings
fruit - very occasionally as a treat, again, sugary so small amounts if you do choose to feed it. i would choose more natural treats like willow/apple branches, a different hay etc

:wave:

So Should i switch him to a non-seed based pellet, reduce the kale to once or twice a week and the carrot as well, throw out the salt block, and feed more parsley and cilantro as regular dinner veggies?

Kale: Good or bad? Fine in small amount
Seeds in Pellets: Good or bad? Never used them
Carrots(daily): Good or bad? I give a small amount daily. Its one of the only vegs that Snowdrop will eat so like to give her a bit along with banana
Salt Block: Good or bad? I dont use one
Leaf(NOT ICEBURG) lettuce: good or bad? Yep I used bagged salads
Pea Pods: Good or bad? Mine dont really like them but have given them before
Celery: Good or bad? Never given it.

And what fruits?

My opinions

The salt block depends on how many pellets your rabbits eats, as pellets already have salt in them. Mine eats mostly hay and veggies so has a mineral block just in case. (It was recommended) Apart from that it sounds like a plan. Spring greens are a great veggie for rabbits and are really cheap.

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-esto...ame=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=1223

Sorry long link but just in case you've never seen them before. They can also come sliced. Not promoting asda btw, just the first supermarket I thought of :lol:

Edit: A couple of links for you
http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html
http://www.rabbit.org/care/fruits.html

So Should i switch him to a non-seed based pellet, reduce the kale to once or twice a week and the carrot as well, throw out the salt block, and feed more parsley and cilantro as regular dinner veggies?

Parsley is high in calcium also.

I feed my buns carrots and some greens/Kale everyday and they are healthy so I personally don't think carrot is a problem. Mine love parsley so have it one a week or so, the flat leaf has a lower calcium content that the curly I think. Mine don't have fruit

Dark green salad/lettuce is ok

There is no need for a salt block :)

Kale: OK in moderation, generally don't feed with other high calcium foods

Seeds in Pellets: Most pellets contain some seeds like alfafa/oats/wheat etc to bulk them out, only the oxbow T is timothy grass based. Personally I'd go for the highest fibre pellet you can get and not worry too much about what is in it.

Carrots(daily): ok - just not too much, about 1cm of carrot

Salt Block: bad - bunnies will get all they need from pellets and veg

Leaf(NOT ICEBURG) lettuce: ok in moderation as long as dark and leafy. Wild lettuce should not be fed under any circumstances and I'd ditto that for iceburg as it is a pesticide soak, full of water and of very little value in their diet.

Pea Pods: ok again in moderation.

Celery: good - lower calorie veg which can be handy if they're on a diet but should be fed with other veg as not especially high in vitamins.

Its pretty much all been said already, but I'll add a post too because I'm bored...

Kale- ok, but only little bits every so often, mine had some last night as I had some left over I didn't use for dinner. But I never buy it for them.
Seeds- I don't feed them at all, not even as a treat. I don't really see the need for it. Mine get a cardboard tube stuffed with hay as a treat, or a stick.
Carrots- mine get carrot everyday, I think mine need a higher fat diet at the moment, its freezing where I live. But they only have half between them. And any peelings I have.
Salt block- bin it, totally useless.
Leaf- good, mine like a bit when ever I have salad, but again I never buy it for them, they get my leftovers.
Pea pods- I've never fed them, although might start. Again as a left over.
Celery- Mine have a stick everyday, but they don't really like it, so its always left untill last. I figure that they usually eat it sometime during the night if they are hungry, but its never what they go for first.

I'm a mean bunny mummy, they get a lot of leftovers and peelings but they are both very healthy happy buns, so I suppose its ok.

Mine get carrots every day, but only a very small amount but I chop it into lots of little bits so they think they're getting a lot ;). I also give them plenty of celery but make sure its chopped up into small bits as I heard someone say they can choke on the stringy bits otherwise.

I too am bored and stuck in so I am going to post my opinion too:

Kale: Good or bad? Good and bad: Good in small quantities and not often, bad if fed regually as high in calcium.
I very occasionally buy one small floret from the farm shop for Jims as a treat.

Seeds in Pellets: Good or bad? Bad: Seeds are a completly unnatural occuance in a buns diet so I would say avoid.

Carrots(daily): Good or bad? Good and bad. Good as they are high in fibre but bad because high in sugar which can cause dental problems, so once a week.

Salt Block: Good or bad? Useless!
Buns should be getting everything they need from hay, veg and pellets. Buns in the wild would not have a salt block.

Leaf(NOT ICEBURG) lettuce: good or bad? Bad Has very little nutirional value and can cause runny poo so not too often.

Pea Pods: Good or bad? Unable to coment as I have never given them to Jims.

Celery: Good or bad? I would say bad as it has very little if any nutritional value and is high in water, so good if bun is dehydrated but bad if not as can cause tummy upset.

And what fruits? Apple (NO SEEDS- POSIONOUS) Pear (NO SEEDS- POSIONOUS) Bananna- Only as a very occasional treat!

Last edited:
Well first of all, I will tell you about the food, Kale is a popular food for rabbits, it contains 135mg calcium and 56mg phosphorous per 100gm making it not only high in calcium but also with a high Ca:p ratio. With a vitamin C content of 120mg per 100gm, kale is a valuable food for rabbits. Rabbit pellet provides trace nutrients, vitamins and minerals that a rabbit might not get if fed only hay and fresh foods. Mixture of carrot and vegetables is good for bunnies. Salt in low quantity, leaf is good and one of favorite food of rabbit is pea pods. Celery is lower calorie vegetable. Rabbits like Apple, Blueberries, Melon, Papaya, Pineapple, Raspberries and Strawberries.

Carrots(daily): Good or bad? Good and bad. Good as they are high in fibre but bad because high in sugar which can cause dental problems, so once a week.

Just out of interest anyone know of a bunny who has dental decay?

As I said mine have carrots everyday and have no problems as they have loads of space and are very active?

A rabbit's diet should be 90% hay. This is most important to stop teeth and digestive problems.

You didn't mention any hay!

Have not personally heard of any dental decay but there are other problems with feeding veg with high sugar content and that is they can make bunnies fat. I guess like humans who eat too much sugar :shock:

This may help, found on

http://www.mybunny.org/info/rabbit_nutrition.htm

VEGETABLES
NOTE: At least three different vegetables a day are recommended - any combination of lettuces counts as ONE veggie for that day)

Alfalfa, Radish And Clover Sprouts
Asparagus
Basil
Beet Greens1
Bok Choy
Broccoli1,2
Brussels Sprouts
Carrots And Tops1
Chard
Chicory Greens3
Cilantro
Clover
Collard Greens3
Dandelion Greens (Pesticide Free!)
Eggplant
Endive
Escarole
Grass - Freshly Cut From Your Backyard,
If You Are Sure There Are No Chemicals, Fertilizers, Poisons (Park Grass Usually Has One Or All Of These)
Kale3,4
Mint
Mustard Greens
Mustard Spinach3
Okra Leaves
Parsley1
Pea Pods (A.K.A. Chinese Pea Pods)1
Peppermint Leaves
Peppers (green, red, yellow...)
Pumpkin Leaves
Radicchio
Radish Tops
Raspberry Leaves
Squash: Zucchini, Yellow, Butternut, Pumpkin
Turnip Greens3
Various Lettuces, Avoid Very Light Hearts: Romaine, Butter, Green Leaf, Boston, Bibb, Arugula... No Iceberg
Watercress1
Wheat Grass

Fruit:

NOTE: Feed only once or twice a week in small amounts - NO seeds or pits! Sugary fruits, such as bananas and grapes should be fed only as occasional treats, and NO fruit should be fed to rabbits who are overweight.

Apple
Blackberries
Blueberry
Pineapple
Melon
Papaya
Peach
Plum
Pears
Raspberries
Strawberries

NO GRAINS, LEGUMES OR NUTS! These are not natural foods for rabbits and they can be very dangerous to gut function.

1 Good source of vitamin A, feed at least one daily

2 Some bunnies may find this a rather "gassy" veggie. If diarrhea occurs, remove from diet.

3 These veggies are higher in calcium, use sparingly, once or twice a week. For older buns, or those with bladder or kidney problems, avoid, unless otherwise directed by your rabbit vet.

4 High in either oxalates or goitrogens, which can cause or exacerbate sludging, and other calcium/kidney problems. Use sparingly!

I'm well hacked off, I was told a couple of years ago that a salt block was needed for a rabbit who wasn't keen on pellets. :shock: This was by a vet at the **** Vet in Edinburgh! Not impressed :?

Supposedly. It was meant to say D ick vet. :roll: Also connected to the Royal D ick school of vet studies. It's generally known to be pretty advanced and they do a lot of research, new procedures etc. And I saw a rabbit vet, not a cat or dog one :(

Back