• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How does your rabbit cope on laminate/floorboards?

Coineanach

Wise Old Thumper
My four-year old (roughly) house bun is currently getting over a bout of EC. She's been keen to get out of her cage the whole time she's been ill and I put old sheets over the varnished floorboards so she could walk on them, as she had little grip in her front paws and no movement in her back legs.

Now she's on the mend, I was hoping she'd be able to walk on the floor without the sheets. I picked them up to put them in the wash and she wouldn't come out of her cage. When she eventually did she was okay for a while then started slipping all over the place and made a mad dash for the cage. She's been about 2 feet out of the cage since then but not up to her usual exploring.

How does your bunny cope with flooring? She didn't really have a problem with it before so I'm wondering if it might be a confidence thing, or maybe she's had some muscle wastage from being ill and dosen't have the same grip. Anyone know if it will come back in time? I did try putting a rug down but she just chewed it, luckily she's not interested in sheets :lol:

I'm interested in how they cope on laminate too.

My new boy Oscar has been set up in the conservatory, which is carpeted, but he won't pass the top step onto the laminate floor that gives him access to the rest of the house. I'm wondering if he's ever likely to do it - but he has poor muscle control too, so that may be a contributing factor?

mine are fine on laminate but then they have never known any different!

They do quite a few slides and skids if they are running too fast but they dont seem to mind.. I think its just a case of getting used to it.

mine are fine on laminate but then they have never known any different!

They do quite a few slides and skids if they are running too fast but they dont seem to mind.. I think its just a case of getting used to it.

ditto!

All 3 of my rabbits run around like crazy on the laminate. The youngest one, Oscar, sometimes finds it hard to stop he runs so fast :)

Gus won't come out on laminate so I have rugs down, Poppy is ok with it, Sweetpea will venture on it if there is food involved and Dinky dashes around like a mad bunny no matter what:lol:

My buns used to hate the kitchen floor, so I ended up putting a blanket down at night when they were in there. They just used to avoid the room during the day.

Albert and Evie are on it and are fine, they have a few traction control issues when going fast but thats it

Albert and Evie are on it and are fine, they have a few traction control issues when going fast but thats it

:lol::lol: that made me laugh - I often heard a skid and a crash where they havent stopped in time!!
but they dont mind as they seem to do it again and again - its like wacky races sometimes :lol:

2 of my rabbits are indoors - Smoky has no problem with the wooden floor but Lizzie hates it, although if there's food on the go she will venture onto it.... :lol: like trying to reach the Christmas tree so she could have a wee munch :no:

it's a good idea to have some rugs or other carpeted areas if your whole floor is laminate, it changes the way bunnies hop and run (a little like us trying to walk on ice) so they need to have something to get their back legs into and really work their muscles.

JAck loves her free time out and due to my bedroom being on the small side it's mostly covered with a giant rug i had when i had my own flat so there isn't to much wooden floor showing. She mostly stays on the rug but occasionally ventures further but often looses her footing and gets a fright and its like watching bambi on ice, its prob not nice to say but it makes me laugh when she is scampering all over the place trying to get back to the safety of the rug :lol: x

Aww... i have this dilemma with my bun, i have a piece of carpet right infront of his home (under the stairs) then usually put an old throw down so he can venture into the lounge. He doesn't like the floor atall. He bombs around no problem then. I do wonder whether i'm fussing over him and should just let him get used to it?? :roll:

All of mine are used to laminate and they do skid about at times but it doesnt stop them running at ridiculous speeds!

in my old house i had tiles an laminate, for carrie though i had to put a rug an carpet tiles down for her, even standing still her paws would spread :lol:

biggles got it to a tee would speed round an to slow hed slide sideways then turn his bum round and just stop lol

Pie will go on it if she has to! But when she does I dont think she knows how to deal with it! She looks like she's ice skating,then she will run onto the carpet and thump as if saying 'i dont like you laminate, and you dont forget it!' LOL

When I first put the lino in the shed, i was worried about them skidding, I bought some cheap bath mats with the rubber on the back and dotted them around. They worked a treat and I could wash and rotate them often. I know they wont look too good in the house if they free range all the time but they could be used in strategic places.

my bun abbey is ok with the laminate flooring but bentley is a different story he slides all over the place if i dont take him up the stairs to the carpet he just sits outside his door won go any further than that!! x

Back