• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

does anyone keep there rabbits indoors?

im new to having a rabbit and was just wondering if anyone keeps their bunnys indoors? if so where do u keep them? also does anyone know if rabbits can cause a healthy person to get asthma?

cath xx

I have 4 indoor rabbits , the have their own cages and get turns to run free in the kitchen . They cant give you asthma but you can be allergic to them just the same as other animals ;)

An allergic reaction can manifest itself or culminate in an Asthma attack.

My son has hayfever and during the summer he was having a bad hayfever day, then he held our GP's (which he is a bit allergic to - usually just takes some Piriton if he's held them (as his eyes itch and his nose runs) and this "tipped him over the edge" so to speak and he had an asthma attack. The Dr explained that if you have an allergy and your allergic response is "switched on" then you are more likely to react to something else - in my sons case the hayfever switched on his alllergic response so he reacted more dramatically to the GP's.

:wave: yes lots of us here with indoor buns - I have 2 (a pair and a single) they live in NIC Cubes - which are brilliant for making any shape or size!

This was mine a few months ago - been converted now..as mine now live in the spare room..
CIMG0568.jpg

You can also use a dog crate as a base and let them free-range a room or living room - but you must 'bunny proof' as they do tend to go for wires and furniture etc.

Im so grateful to have indoor buns this time of year :D

Hi Cath, I'm asthmatic & I have budgies, cats & now a bunny.

I'm allergic to dogs & cut grass so the rabbit's hay is a problem.. but I'm fine as long as I take my inhalers & I also use a herbal antihistamine, besides I couldn't imagine not having animals, but then I'm stubborn LOL

As far as I know animals cannot cause asthma.. but they can exaberate the condition if the asthmatic person is allergic to a particular animal (usually their dander is the cause of the allergy).
I am also allergic to dustmites so I hoover up a lot & damp dust my furniture afterwards & this also helps with eliminating dander from my house too, so if you're concerned it's worth trying if you're not already.. as well as regularly washing any animal bedding & hoovering beds/mattresses etc.

Are you concerned someone in your household might be developing asthma or your bunny is making it worse?

Ohh.. & my bunny lives in my livingroom :love:
But I'm gradually extending his area as he's bonding with my kittens & generally behaving himself.. well mostly - he chewed my tv remote today :? :roll:
My fault for leaving it in his reach, but I'm a new bunny owner too & still learning these things.

My two both have free range of the kitchen/back room when they aren't having to be separated - one of them has not been well so she is currently segregated and let out away from her sister for the time being.

The main thing to worry about with house rabbits is wires. They can and will nibble them if they can get at them!

My Mooch was an outdoor bunny, but for various reasons not to do with him I had to move him indoors, he stopped eating and drinking for a while and panicked me, but once he got used to the idea he realised how great it is!!!

He has a Savic 'Nero 4' indoor cage in the livingroom and we leave the door off when we are in. He is confined to it when we are out and at night time which he doesnt like, and bangs his toys against the cage if we dont open the door on time! :lol:

I have an indoor bunny :wave: It's becoming more popular and there are lots of people with house bunnies. I started because I live in a flat without a garden but missed my bunnies, and now we're the best of friends. They do chew everything in sight though, I was reading another thread today with lots of chew stories :roll: My bun lives in my sitting room in a large metal pen with lino on the floor, and cardboard over the lino. And lots of toys!

Having a rabbit can't give you asthma. It can make existing asthma worse, and could give you an allergic reaction, but it won't give you asthma. Asthma is most commonly genetic, and sometimes caused by things like smoking and I think stress can bring it on. So far there is no proven link between contracting asthma and having an animal.

i have two indoor bunnies. i know them far better than the five i kept outdoors. i wouldn't do outdoor bunnies again.

I keep mine freerange, I don't like cages or hutches :D

Keeping a freerange houserabbit is fantastic you really see their true personality and they are free to show their true rabbit behaviour, running and jumping at will :D

I have 4 and they all live in my spare room. They're currently in 2 pairs living in 2separate nic grid set ups. They're going away to be bonded into a 4 in a couple of weeks and then I'll line the room with the nic grids so that they have the whole room (which is how it was before before I got my latest 2)

yup! i just adopted Tinkerbell from this forum, she's about 10 weeks old and allowed to free range all day! she has 2 litter trays, one in a place she chose herself in the living room :roll: and one in her puppy pen. She's a fab little character, jumps all over the sofas and dogs, drinks out of the dogs water bowl with them, cuddles in and sleeps in my dressing gown or on my lap while i'm watching tv, my little girl is 8 and picks her up and cuddles her often, my 2 lads love her to bits too, always grabbing the camera to photograph her and go awwwww an awful lot for 2 macho boys :lol:

she's really easy to care for, and having one mooching about all day is very rewarding and fun! my friend likens her to a dog, as she follows everyone around in the hope of treats! :lol:

this is her pen in my living room

DSCN3051.jpg

and her second litter tray which takes pride of place in the living room under the tv and next to the radiator :roll:

DSCN3078.jpg

this is the first rabbit i've had since i was a kid so i'm completely new to caring for bunnies, the people on here are really friendly, no question is too stupid, fire away and ask anything you need to :)

I keep mine freerange, I don't like cages or hutches :D

Keeping a freerange houserabbit is fantastic you really see their true personality and they are free to show their true rabbit behaviour, running and jumping at will :D

snap:D

Mine are indoors roaming the kitchen from 8am-about midnight then they get locked up overnight. They'll go out for summer and move back in when it starts getting cold again :)

You have to have eyes in the back of your head with buns! Lola broke into the bathroom once (our fault for not shutting door properly :oops: ) jumped in the bath and then couldn't get out until she was rescued...the new obssession is trying to get on the kitchen worktops :roll:

My two house bunnies have complete roam of the house all 24/7 :)

They have a two tiered hutch and a giant litter tray in a corner of the kitchen which they use as a base, but then wander around during the day prodding their noses into things!

We spent a lot of time bunny-proofing everything first though.

I have had rabbits for the past 18 years and all have been indoor buns. You do need to take precautions though to bunny proof any area they are allowed to free range.:)

thank u everyone i am very gratful for all your advice. all of your pictures are loverly i will get some up soon.
i dont have asthma but was worried i would get it from bunny. as far as i know i am not allergic to anything but since having bunny my eyes burn and my breatheing is funny. i am an anxiey suffererso i may just be anxious that i could be allergic.

with regards to bedding what can i use at the moment i have wood shavings but my bunny has a respiritory infection and i dont think this is good for he as she cant stop sneezing?

Back