• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it big enough?

ShAzZa_UK

New Kit
I Just can't make my mind up on which breed I would like but here is the definate hutch I would like
4ft-with-under-run.jpg

And here is the run that attaches to it
4ft-rabbit-run-image.jpg

There is also a cover to go with the hutch and altogether it total's to £177.97

The hutch is 4ft x 2ft x 2ft and the run is 4ft

Would it be big enough for a mini lop pair or would it be good for medium sized rabbit?

Hello and welcome!

Take a good look around the forum and you will find lots of advice and information that will answer all your questions.

Nearly always it is best for a pair of rabbits to live together (neutered of course). A pair requires at least a 6' x 2' x 2' hutch with at least a 6' run perminantly attatched. Obviously this needs to be preditor proof and be protected from the weather. But take a look around, do a search for "housing" and you will get lots of great ideas and photos of members accomodation for their rabbits - converted wooden bike sheds with runs, aviaries, sheds, wendy houses and other wonderful (and often more economic) accomodation. Always bigger is better, many of us have made the mistake of buying too smaller accomodation only to have to spend again on an upgrade.

Also, why not seek out you local rescue where you can meet lots of lovely rabbits of every shape, size, colour and breed and they will also advise you about appropriate accomodation or look in the "Rabbits in need" section.

No, I'm afraid not. The hutch looks very flimsy- a fox would easily get the heart shaped locks open. A double level hutch needs to be at least 5x2x2 , and a single needs to be 6x2x2. Rabbits are SOCIAL ANIMALS and need to live together- adopt a bonded pair from your local rescue instead of going to a breeder.

ETA: Have cou considered keepng them in a converted shed?

We had some of these donated to the rescue, but they were too small and flimsy - the wire on the run and hutch is not fox proof, and the wood is exposed on the inner side of the run, so as the bun chews the wood the wire works free - bad design.

A minimum size for two rabbits should be 6x2x2 with a 6ft permanent run attached.

The most important investment you can make for your rabbit is good sized accommodation. In a 4ft hutch they cannot hop from one end to the other (particularly once bowls, trays etc are in there too) so it is too restrictive.

Someone mentioned the other day that their local RSPCA was selling hutches 6x2 for £100 - might be worth calling your local one to see if they do?

That set-up looks very flimsy and small. Your best option would be to go and visit your local rescue. A pair of bunnies will be already be neutered and bonded saving you a good £100-£150 which could be spent on larger, sturdier accommodation.

A rescue will have requirements for housing which they will tell you about in order to pass a homecheck. You would be much better off getting this info before purchasing anything.

Back