• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ready grass?

Loosy

Warren Veteran
Hi, I was just wondering how ready grass compares to hay in terms of nutrition and how healthy it was, etc.
I bought my two a bag of it for Christmas which is nearly gone now, and Pipkin seemed to really enjoy it which I was pleased with cause I've always had a bit of a problem with getting him to eat enough hay.
So is ready grass as good as hay? Could it be used as a substitute? I wouldn't use it as a substitute purposefully but if I gave them ready grass alongside hay and he only ate the ready grass would this be ok?

Nutritionally I would think it was higher in value than hay.

I've a sack in the garage but it's too cold to go and look!!

It can be a bit more fattening than meadow hay, so some people feed sparilngly.
All of mine used to love it, and would have a small bowl for tea time, but only 1 of them eats it now - I think there must have been a change in batches.

Readigrass is higher in calories than Hay, so whilst it is ok for a treat every now and then it's not a good substitute for hay. I believe it is also high in calcium so not good for bunnies with calcium issues.

Ok, thanks!
I won't give them too much of it in that case. I got quite excited that I'd found something hay-like that he'll eat without a fuss but I suppose I'll have to keep looking :lol:

Back