• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House Buns in the Snow?

Isis

Mama Doe
I was just wondering if anyone with house rabbits let your bunnies out in the snow? I would love to see Wispa out in the snow..

:shock::shock::shock::shock: not without winter coats i wouldnt altho ste has bought snow in to them :lol::lol:

I wouldn't take house rabbit outside in the snow due to the temprature difference and their lack of winter coats. However someone filled an indoor cage tray with snow for their rabbits to play in the other day which sounds like a much safer and healthier idea to me :)

He's got a winter coat :? My bedroom is freezing at times :(

Might bring some in for him to play with, or just to experience it.

I wouldn't put a housebunny out in extreme weather.

It would be like you going to play in the snow in tshirt and shorts barefoot.

You also put your rabbits at risk of respiratory problems, and possibly even Pneumonia or Hypothermia.

No its freezing, it would be like us going out without a coat on..

Although it would be lovely to see our house bunnies in the snow it really is not worth the risk! x

He's got a winter coat :? My bedroom is freezing at times :(

Might bring some in for him to play with, or just to experience it.

Even in an unheated room the temperature can be over 10 degrees, outside is sub zero here atm so the thickness of their coats will be very different.

I honestly think bringing some indoors is a much better option :)

No way would I let my house buns outside in the snow and freezing cold! We had a little theory going that some of them have been poorly because they're already struggling with changes of temp indoors with heating on and off!

No. I don't heat my room, but I would feel a massive difference between standing barefoot on my carpet, and standing barefoot in snow. Even if bunny has a thick coat you're still essentially sending him outdoors in his "indoor clothes"...i think it would be way too much a of a shock, akin to how people can have heart failure by falling into icy water.

Never let your housebunnys play in the snow, it is so cold now I haven't even put my outside bunnies out in it

Nope. Never. Not in a million years. Are a few 'cute' photos really worth the possible health implications?

Not in the snow, no. I do let them out for a short while on a dry winter's day (only if they want to, the back door is open so they choose for themselves and they know to come in after a short while of binkying) but I would not let them out in the snow because it's quite wet. Slightly cold is one thing, cold + wet is really very much more serious :?

I've let Dillan out in the snow and he's absolutely loved it. I really don't understand what health implications a short amount of time being out in the snow a rabbit could get. They might not have a 'winter coat' but they have a coat none the less and I think for a short length of time any young and healthy rabbit would be fine out in the snow.
When I have brought Dillan in afterwards he's not even wet and has been completely fine. And of course I haven't forced him out. He immediately runs out into the garden when the door is open.
Sorry for not jumping on the bandwagon! :roll:
Helen xx

I've let Dillan out in the snow and he's absolutely loved it. I really don't understand what health implications a short amount of time being out in the snow a rabbit could get. They might not have a 'winter coat' but they have a coat none the less and I think for a short length of time any young and healthy rabbit would be fine out in the snow.
When I have brought Dillan in afterwards he's not even wet and has been completely fine. And of course I haven't forced him out. He immediately runs out into the garden when the door is open.
Helen xx

Rabbits cannot cope with the extreme change in temperatures whether it is hot to cold or cold to hot. So a short time out is just as dangerous as a long time out unfortunately

Yes, I do! I open the back door and Louie comes and goes as he pleases.

He loves the snow :D

Rabbits cannot cope with the extreme change in temperatures whether it is hot to cold or cold to hot. So a short time out is just as dangerous as a long time out unfortunately

All animals have inbuilt adaptations to changes in temperatures. Just because an animal becomes acclimatised to a given temperature such as that they experience in a house, it doesn't mean they will drop dead when they experience an 'extreme' change in temperature. As I said My rabbit loved playing out in the snow and experienced no adverse effects. And I'm pretty sure any other young healthy rabbit such as him would be completely fine.
He wouldn't run outside and stay there if he couldn't cope with it! He'd immediately run straight back indoors to be warm.
Helen xx

Helen xx

no bandwagon, i answered a question aimed at people who keep houserabbits.. as did other house rabbit keepers. nothing in this world would make me go out in this weather in summer clothes so my rabbits will not go out if they dont have the correct winter wear either.

Back