• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it too cold tonight for buns?

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I have just done a postcode weather forecast... it says -10 here tonight... what do you think for outside buns? They are in a shed with a rug over the top of their hutches/runs.

I was just watching the weather forecast and thought exactly the same, mine are outdoors hutches filled to the brim of straw etc and covered with carpet. :D

My shed buns are staying out cos I have the greenhouse heaters in their sheds - I'm putting the heaters on from 5pm til 6am.

I have bought the foster buns in the garage today though - it's just getting way too cold for them to stay out now

i am worried sick too....mine are in chicken coop style hutch/runs. I have covered them the best i can and put fleeces in there bed area, plus straw of course. They seem fine but it supposed to get down to -13 here tonight.

how do you know if a rabbit is cold?

It was -12 here this morning at 7, my buns are outside and everyone is fine! They are in the garage, hutches stuffed with hay, and straw and they had a heatpad. There water was frozen but they were fine. x

i feel sorry for them but they seem fine.........the vet told me that rabbits cope with cold better than heat!?

they are out in the run areas so they must be fine or they'd be in the bedded area surely????:?

Mine choose not to use thier straw stuffed hutches and sit out in it instead. I think you have to trust that they will instinctively know to snuggle up and get in the hay if they need to. My 4 are never still long enough to get cold!

Just been out to mine .As usual out in the run not in the hutch which is covered and has a snugglesafe in.I talk to them and tell them to go in the warm and they just ignore me.

Its meant to be -11 here tonight :( My outdoors buns cant come in, the house is full of buns/other pets already! :( Lets hope they'll all be ok xXx

It has been minus 10 here for several nights here and all buns have made it through OK so far and many of them are over the age of 7. Geoff is driving me crazy as he spends his whole time sat out in his concrete run when he has a cosy hutch with a heatpad :roll:

stes mom in edinburgh has been having -15 where she is out in the country, her bunnies have been fine.. they snuggle up together :D:D

Geoff is driving me crazy as he spends his whole time sat out in his concrete run when he has a cosy hutch with a heatpad :roll:

Dudley and Santa are doing exactly the same :roll: The lops are a bit more sensible, they're all nicely tucked up in their wendy house :)

Dudley and Santa are doing exactly the same :roll: The lops are a bit more sensible, they're all nicely tucked up in their wendy house :)

I think for Geoff it is a space thing, he is still so pleased to have his space that he is scared it will disappear if he is not in it :( I was desperate to get him and Nutmeg bonded this week so they could at least keep each other warm but how on earth do I bond in this weather?

What would you recommend as the best site for weather forecasts?
Some I've found say it will be -9 here and others say -5 so I'm not sure which to trust the most :?

Obviously I'll be filling the hutch up with lots of straw anyway.

My buns are sitting out in the snow and minus temperatures, even though they have a warm hutch to go in if they choose.
They seem to be fine in the cold and snow, it is the rain/wind they don't like, that's when they go into their hutch.
They are probably a lot hardier than we give them credit for.. they seem to manage perfectly well in the wild without human interference!

omg -13 here tonight, was -10 last night and freecycle was fine this morning it was my car that had froze. freecycle has been in and out of the shed all day, im sure she will be fine tonight too

I haven't noticed that my 2 have been bothered about the cold, they have spent alot of time in the run and been keen to come out and play in the snow. I have given them a snugglesafe tonight though, they didn't get it last night because of the powercut! I did panic this morning though when the shed bolt was frozen and I couldn't get into them :shock:

I began to worry with it getting colder, i put boxes full of hay for them to snuggle, what do they do? sit on the carpet, huddled together, oh well :love:

Back