• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you bring Snowy indoors?

Veronica

Mama Doe
The temperatures are meant to drop to -12degrees tonight. It's been -7degrees today. The bottles have frozen up countless times despite the fact the hutches are in a shed, the bottles are covered with snuggle-safe covers, and snuggle safes are heated twice a day. The bottles are being changed 3 times a day.

It is literally freeeeeeezing!!!!!!!!!!

I'm very worried about Snowy. He's got snuffles. He seems to be coping ok at the moment, but with the ever plummeting temperatures, and with him being on his own, I am worried about the coldness.

I don't have an indoor cage, so was thinking of bringing him in tonight, keeping him in the large cat carrier (but giving him chance to have a run around the bathroom), and then getting an indoor cage tomorrow after school.

What do you think? Am I just over-panicking?

*bump*

Sorry I don't have any experience of snuffles but hopefully someone who does will reply soon. Sending *vibes*. x

Do you have a garage, shed or conservatory you could move him into? So the temperature difference isn't too drastic but enough to give him some protection?

have no experience of snuffles either but cos he's on his own with nobun to snuggle into, I'd bring him in [preferably to an unheated room though] :)

Personally I would not leave a health compromised Rabbit outdoors in sub-zero temperatures.
If you bring him in he'll have to remain in until the late Springtime.
I'd not keep him in a too warm room, central heating can exacerbate Snuffles.

If you can bring him and keep him in until spring, then I wouldn't hesitate. He will be low with snuffles so he will be struggling to keep warm.

I have bought my two foster babies into the garage today. Their bowl was frozen this morning (it was -16 here last night), so I decided sod what the o/h said - the bunnies were more important than a pile of tosh, which is now living in the garden:lol:

Personally I would not leave a health compromised Rabbit outdoors in sub-zero temperatures.
If you bring him in he'll have to remain in until the late Springtime.
I'd not keep him in a too warm room, central heating can exacerbate Snuffles.

Hmmmm this is my dilemma. The house is lovely and warm, because we have it centrally heated. The downstairs rooms are warmer because we have fires on too, so the bedrooms would be the coolest (but they are not cool...more comfortably warm for us humans in temp).

Could you turn off the heating in that one room?

This was my thought too, where will you keep him while you shower though? We have put the babes in the dining room and turned the rad low in there so its cool but not cold, they are so much happier and get to run round so much more, they have also found the stairs and I have lost count how many times they have ran up and down them just for the fun of it. Its a pleasure to see them and they have become so much friendlier. I think you have made the right decision. xx :wave:

Well the bathroom is the only room that doesn't have any direct heating, so for over night, and tomorrow (when everyone is at work) its ideal. He will then be relocated to a bedroom, so I'm taking the step by step adjustment. He's now going to have to be inside till spring, so I need to get him into a more permanent set up.

Such a worry this weather and a poorly bun :(

Back