• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at Home

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
Walked to my local one....I know I could have just bought stuff online...but I wanted to clear my head, after Maximus died. I walked for 40 minutes in the bitter cold...:shock:
I am LIVID...:evil:

.............because I have NO complaints! :lol::lol: (bet you scrolled down, hoping for a rant!.......Bwahahhah!)

I have to say how truly impressed I was with the Newmarket branch.

I was looking at all the bunnies there, and the manager came over to see if I wanted help....he was so pretty...:oops:

Anyhoo....we had much chat, and I got to hug lots of 12-14 week old bunnies :love::love: He could sex them, and was very knowlegable about all animals. Told me that they are really careful about selling their buns, and emphasise the importance of neutering/toys/diet, etc. He asked loads of questions on Roobs and Ted, and we talked about Max a bit. He was really happy that Max had come out of his shell so much, and he had a soft spot for him.

It was snowing, so he offered me a tour of the entire shop.(whilst holding a furry!:D They've stopped selling giant bunnies...thank goodness...! I always wondered why the price was so high, and he explained that it was to put people off buying them on a whim. I saw the most gorgeous chinnie...:shock::love: OMG I wanted to bring him home so badly. They charge so much for the same reason. He told me all about the adoption system...Max's ex wife was in it..:(:(:( Her daughters had gone.:(

He was an animal lover...and I think that made all the difference. I went away happy....and with a new bed and treats for Ruby and Ted.

All the animals were in large, clean housing, and looked in the picture of health. Before I could ask them to give the buns some more hay, there was someone with a bag....telling me it was shocking how much they got through. All the animals (buns, degus, rats, chinnie, hammies, gerbils...:shock:...so many animals :lol:) had lots of toys.

I got my tour of the shop whilst holding the most gorgeous rew boy.....I wanted to bring him home so badly...but refrained :roll:. (FYI: they won't sell a bun in the winter if it's to go outside....I thought that was good....although some people are sure to lie.)

I have always been very anti P@H...but the Newmarket one has regained my confidence. Obviously I wish they didn't sell any animals....but whilst they do....they should all be like this!! :D:D

they've got one in Gloucester too, i think the same one has been there for months :(

I think, unfortunately they differ so much from town to town. I'm very lucky....I'd never buy an animal from them though!!

Our local one does not have giants,:D
My Oh was looking at the Degus yesterday with the kids while I was getting essentials.:D

The staff in our local one are great and knowledgeable.:D

Well I htink thats really nice to hear. Glad it's cheered you up!
The p@h in crayford is pretty good too. They dont sell giants anymore either.

The high price could put people off of buying them, giants that is, on a whim but don't you think it encouraged people to start breeding them when they saw how much they could be sold for ?

The high price could put people off of buying them on a whim but don't you think it encouraged people to start breeding them when they saw how much they could be sold for ?

I haven't heard of ANY backyard breeder selling their buns for £129. I have no doubt that seeing a rabbit for that much will encourage people to do that....and as I've pointed out...they're not selling them at all in this branch...I'm sure other branches will follow suit.

My Frenchies were £60...and all that covered was the cost of bringing them up....no profit made. Most people who think it'll be "nice" to breed their rabbits, are doing it for the cute fluffy babies...not for the money. (That's what some breeders might do...but not the people who get their buns from P@H.)

I stated clearly that I don't think that any animals should be sold in petshops!!

I maintain that my branch is a goodun.

The high price could put people off of buying them, giants that is, on a whim but don't you think it encouraged people to start breeding them when they saw how much they could be sold for ?

That is so true i was told a story yesterday about someone that bought 1 because she already had a female just because she saw how much money she could make:evil: But it just ended up in them being negelected cause she couldnt sell them:(

Ok....could a mod please close this now.....? I didn't want an argument....just pointing out that what I saw was good....I really don't want this to be turned into anything. P@H get a lot of bad press...and I was impressed. Guess all the good stuff falls on deaf ears.

Ok....could a mod please close this now.....? I didn't want an argument....just pointing out that what I saw was good....I really don't want this to be turned into anything. P@H get a lot of bad press...and I was impressed. Guess all the good stuff falls on deaf ears.

Im not starting an agument i just answered a question:? Pets@home would be much better if they didnt sell pets though:)

Im not starting an agument i just answered a question:? Pets@home would be much better if they didnt sell pets though:)

I can just see where it's going to go...and I'm feeling fragile:(. I'm not saying you were trying to start one....:)

It would be so much better. I could have bought a hammy with the change in my purse...:roll:

I'm a PAH store manager and I'm so pleased to hear you've had such a good experience. Thanks for posting a positive :) x

I can't complain about the condition of the animals sold at my local branch - although I'm against breeding/selling animals. In fact, I have no complaints at all about the local branch.:)
However, I was never given a tour of the shop (but then again I'm an old bag :lol:).
Hey, Ali, I think your local shop manager fancies you.:p

I can't complain about the condition of the animals sold at my local branch - although I'm against breeding/selling animals. In fact, I have no complaints at all about the local branch.:)
However, I was never given a tour of the shop (but then again I'm an old bag :lol:).
Hey, Ali, I think your local shop manager fancies you.:p

Oh....I wish he did! I did think it was nice to give me "a tour"....and let me hold the bunnehs!! He was very pretty! WAY out my league!!:roll:

Laura - I bet your P@H is just as good! :D:D

I think it really depends on the staff in the store :) Our store has alot of young lads in. Last time i went in someone was adopting a rabbit from the adoption centre and he got bunny out, chucked him in a box and told them to be careful as bunny was vicious :( On the other hand, theres a lovely lady at our store, she knows little about rabbits but always goes out of her way to find out stuff for us if we ask her :)

The stores vary way too much i think, i wish we had nice staff at our store :( Your store sounds fab... and so does the manager ;) ;) When are you going back Ali? :lol: ;) xXx

Oh....I wish he did! I did think it was nice to give me "a tour"....and let me hold the bunnehs!! He was very pretty! WAY out my league!!:roll:
Laura - I bet your P@H is just as good! :D:D

If I were you, I would go back to P@H every chance I got.:)

I think it really depends on the staff in the store :) Our store has alot of young lads in. Last time i went in someone was adopting a rabbit from the adoption centre and he got bunny out, chucked him in a box and told them to be careful as bunny was vicious :( On the other hand, theres a lovely lady at our store, she knows little about rabbits but always goes out of her way to find out stuff for us if we ask her :)

The stores vary way too much i think, i wish we had nice staff at our store :( Your store sounds fab... and so does the manager ;) ;) When are you going back Ali? :lol: ;) xXx

NO man is worth a 40 minute walk in the snow!! ;)

they've got one in Gloucester too, i think the same one has been there for months :(

not that long as i brought one from there in september,then they had another one after for 2 weeks then that went,and now they have to one they got.

Back