• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bloat- drug question

natandfluffs

Alpha Buck
I've just had Wisp at the vets with bloat... she's come home with me to medicate her as is relatively mild and vet thinks she'll be more comfy here.

At the vet she had injections; painkiller, appetite stimulant, sub-cutaneous fluids.

For home we have zantac 3x day, metaclopramide (sp?) 3x day, metacam 1 x day

The question I forgot to ask: Can I give her them at the same time or do I need to leave gaps between the drugs?

Have just given the zantac and will do the metaclopramide later but when I'm back at work will be easier to do in one lot- just wanted to check.

Suspect it's cold related... worried my attempts to warm them up last night didn't hit the spot. Though everyone else is still bouncing off the walls and loving the snow (touch wood)
So after all that worrying on here yesterday, I've got her and Bubbles inside anyway :roll:

I've just had Wisp at the vets with bloat... she's come home with me to medicate her as is relatively mild and vet thinks she'll be more comfy here.

At the vet she had injections; painkiller, appetite stimulant, sub-cutaneous fluids.

For home we have zantac 3x day, metaclopramide (sp?) 3x day, metacam 1 x day

The question I forgot to ask: Can I give her them at the same time or do I need to leave gaps between the drugs?

Have just given the zantac and will do the metaclopramide later but when I'm back at work will be easier to do in one lot- just wanted to check.

Suspect it's cold related... worried my attempts to warm them up last night didn't hit the spot. Though everyone else is still bouncing off the walls and loving the snow (touch wood)
So after all that worrying on here yesterday, I've got her and Bubbles inside anyway :roll:

You can administer them at the same time. I usually give the Ranitidine (Zantac) before the Metacam as Ranitidine has a bitter after-taste and the Metacam is sweeter and more palatable.
Hope she feels better soon

I always give metacam last too if they are having more than one medication, they usually love it so much, they think they are getting a treat after the nasty tasting meds:D

Good plan. Thanks! :) I thought the zantac smelt pretty foul... thing is she still won't eat anything to get rid of a horrible aftertaste!

Back