• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

6 month old... how much should I be feeding her?

Shellypops

Wise Old Thumper
Bobby is six months now, so need to start cutting back on pelletts, just wondered how much a bunny this age should have:? and should I do it gradually? I presume so as everything else has to be done like this.

At the mo she has a hand ful in the morning and one at night, she has fresh herbs at tea and tomothy and meadow hay all day:)

I would recommend doing so gradually.
So maybe aim to get down to one handful per day, so start cutting back by maybe doing 1.5 per day for a week then go down to one, you can start introducing more veg, do so one per week to make sure there are no tummy upsets. Try things like spring greens, sprouts, broccoli and carrots (not too often).
A rough guild they should have unlimited hay throughout the day, they should be eating the smae size as their body in hay per day.
Veggies and herbs should amount to the size of buns head per day.
Pellets are the least important part of the diet.

I have always fed adlib pellets to buns until fully grown-12 to 18 months.Then gradually gone down to a handful.:)

Okay will start with some spring greens firstly and see how it goes,she loves herbs coriander and mint, but have only been introducing it in small amounts.

she sure loves them pelletts though!!! she keeps running round in circles when I come near the hutch, and then when she realises there is only gonna be hay for lunch, she looks really dejected:(... I know she's not hungry though, just mega greedy:evil::D

:lol: buns will ALWAYS go mad for pellets! They are something more exciting than hay. Jims walfs hes down in the space of 2 minuites if that! Then he licks the bowl and looks at you as if to say 'Is that it?!' :lol:

:lol: buns will ALWAYS go mad for pellets! They are something more exciting than hay. Jims walfs hes down in the space of 2 minuites if that! Then he licks the bowl and looks at you as if to say 'Is that it?!' :lol:

twice today Tinkerbell has picked up her bowl and thrown it in disgust because it's empty :roll::lol:

:lol: Jimby does that with his plastic baby plate which we use to give him his veggies! :lol:

twice today Tinkerbell has picked up her bowl and thrown it in disgust because it's empty :roll::lol:

I have a wierdo bun. She knocks it over in disgust if I come into her cage, leave it and her bowl only has pellets in it! She's not that fond of them.

One of ours will always tip up a bowl or plate to spill the contents - much prefers to eat off the floor of the hutch. Strange.

loves te spring greens, still in a bit of a mood about the lack of pelletts she is sulking in her hutch:cry:... she ate my boyfs hat today tho.. not a happy Ian!:shock:

:wave: Neither of my bunnies are that fussed over pellets either although they do graze on them, which ones do you feed?

:wave: Neither of my bunnies are that fussed over pellets either although they do graze on them, which ones do you feed?

she has excel junior its the only one she didn't have a messy bum on. Although I have heard that a lott of buns have suffered a bit with them, but she loooves them!! and nice normal poops as long as she doesn't over do it:lol:

she has excel junior its the only one she didn't have a messy bum on. Although I have heard that a lott of buns have suffered a bit with them, but she loooves them!! and nice normal poops as long as she doesn't over do it:lol:

:wave: I feed excel too and they eat it but, don't go mad for it although a piece of banana is my secret weapon to bribe them:lol:

:wave: I feed excel too and they eat it but, don't go mad for it although a piece of banana is my secret weapon to bribe them:lol:

i'm betting the bag of junior excel that i bought for Tinkerbell has heroin in it. all my kids see her scrounging and throwing her bowl around and go MUUUUM Tinks wants more drugs!! :lol:

i'm betting the bag of junior excel that i bought for Tinkerbell has heroin in it. all my kids see her scrounging and throwing her bowl around and go MUUUUM Tinks wants more drugs!! :lol:
Yeah are definiitley drugs in it!! she makes me feel so guilty the rascal, Ian (my boyf) thinks I am starving her!!:shock:

I have had to have a few words with him about secret feeding, when I explained that she could get poorly he soon stopped:D

My hubbys like that-he thinks I starve them!I give them half a bowl of excel to eat in 30 minutes & there is always some left over which I put a few in a treat ball & then bin the rest.My buns are fed time wise rather than quantity but it works out 2 a couple of handfuls between them.They have 4hours worth of veg in evening.:)

Last edited:
Back