• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

insulation again.

parkfieldstud

Warren Scout
sorry i know this has been talked about before but I can't take it anymore the condensation on my shed roof is driving me potty! Its not too bad atm as its frozen but when it melts i get dripped on, and everything has to be covered with towls/plastic etc. So I want to insulate it I was thinking of using 50mm off polystyrene and wedging in between the rafters? do you think this would be enough bear in mind its a steel profile roof, i've filled the gaps with foam. I was also going to do the sides of the shed with the same. Its going to cost me a fourtune (12x14ft shed) I did try pinning up some bubble wrap what they use for green houses but it didn't work. I just don't want to pay out and then it not work! I've got a good deal on some 8x4 poly boards at £7.00 each delivered. I thought it would be the quickest and eaisest way since i won't have to board out the roof atleast or stable/nail it on.

It might be worth scouting around a few DIY stores to see what offers they have on.... at Wickes the other day when we went in they had the silver insulation stuff on offer - buy one get two free - so you might be able to do a better insulation job than just polystyrene at less than you think.

I've seen things on offer at B&Q recently too. :)

I'm no expert though so am not sure whether polystyrene alone will work or not. Hope you get something sorted anyway.

I think the polystyrene would be better in the way its easier to put up, my roof's raffters are diffent lenghts and poly sheets could be wedged in easy but i'm not so sure about pinning something on like when i pinned up the bubble wrap for green houses it did help alittle but water gathered between the bubble wrap and the steel roof make it bow down, wheres if i used poly sheets they would be wedged right up to the steel roof?. I just wounder if it would be enough to stop the condensation on the steel roof, i can get 75mm sheets for 7.38 plus vat and delivered free sounds quite reasonable. I just worry i'll kit it all out and it will make no diffence hummm :roll:

I've just done a quick search for you (am off sick and laid on the sofa with nothing much to do! ;)) - according to ((( This Post ))) - polystyrene alone is good for insulation. :)

It's not a steel roof so I guess it's not the same comparison but if it wasn't effective perhaps you could just glue another layer of polystyrene on the first layer? x

I bought something called "Jabfloor" on ebay which is basically thick polystyrene. I then cut it up and put it in the gaps on the inside of the shed and then I nailed some hard board over the top. I used hardboard because it was cheap and I needed a lot of it, plus it was inside so didn't need to be water proof. I thought the rabbits might get through the hard board and I would have to replace it, but they haven't and it's been fine.

I don't think its ventalation because its a box profile roof so it had gaps, as this kept happening i filled them in with foam also the windows are alittle lose and i have a stable door that i've been leaving open to try to dry it out but its made no diffence at all :?

well i've orderded the poly boards £52 delivered 75mm so I hope it works, would like to do the whole shed I'm sick of freezing bottles and fingers or that :roll: hope it will help keep them cooler in the summer too. I shall let you know if it works for future reference, may even take some piccies

Back