• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If you are thinking of starting a rescue...

Starlight

Warren Veteran
Please think of the financial implications!!

For certain documentation, I needed a transaction invoice from the day I started going to my veterinary practice(In April 2008) to today.

I made the mistake at looking at the total amount all the invoices amounted to, in just under 2 years

Anyone guess the amount?! :shock:

£100,000,000...:shock::shock::shock:

Ok....real guess....£500,000?? I daren't not actually think about it!!!:shock:

I think ours is around £18,000 for the past 2 years, but I have been to scared to total up the whole of last year so it might be more :?

Ours is about the same as yours Liz, but the bills lately have been over £1000 a month, compared to £700 a few months ago, and that's with lots of discounts.

How on earth do you keep going? Where do you find the money?

We have a very large credit card bill as our vet wont let us have an account, so we are paying interest on that as well :roll:

I also work my bottom off trying to think of fundraising ideas :lol:

I'd say about 8.5k? We've only been officially going for a year and 1/2 but I suspect that ours may be in Hugo's league or a bit more by the time we finish our year end in June.

I guess £9000.How on earth do manage to pay for it all??? do you work 24 hours a day also??

It is scary when you think there is only the two of us running it and we only have one wage coming in and thats not a greatly paid job, but we just go without a lot and are very grateful for the donations we receive :D There is also housing costs and food and bedding to pay for on top of the vet bills :)

Mike is fairly well paid and I work part time, at the vet, so get discount :D and can do quite a bit of the injections, etc myself.
Our animal feed bill is about £600 a month and we spend another £300 on hay and straw. We do without a lot and have just started to recieve some donations, hopefully in the future we will start a sponsorship scheme and that will make things a bit easier- we are skint already this month so its beans on toast for us, it will help with the diet anyway.

Well I'm not even a rescue and I have spent over £10,000 in two years (mostly Parsley's leg) so the rescues must be a lot more! We passed the £10,000 in summer and I haven't had the courage to ask since.

It is scary when you think there is only the two of us running it and we only have one wage coming in and thats not a greatly paid job, but we just go without a lot and are very grateful for the donations we receive :D There is also housing costs and food and bedding to pay for on top of the vet bills :)

I think what you do is incredible Liz. Not that its at all intentional, but obviously Steve earns all the money that you put into the rescue but is in the background RU-wise. After meeting him on Sunday i realised he's such an amazing guy (and quite funny!) and you have a great partnership there. Its the rescue people that people dont know about or hear much about that i admire the most - just getting on with the job in hand and not expecting anything in return.

I think what you do is incredible Liz. Not that its at all intentional, but obviously Steve earns all the money that you put into the rescue but is in the background RU-wise. After meeting him on Sunday i realised he's such an amazing guy (and quite funny!) and you have a great partnership there. Its the rescue people that people dont know about or hear much about that i admire the most - just getting on with the job in hand and not expecting anything in return.

Aww thank you. TBH Steve doesn't pay a penny towards vet bills, but he does make sure the house side of things is all sorted and he also pays for some of the animal food and housing costs. But regardless of how much he puts in financially I couldn't do any of it without him as he does so much practically, including most of the vet trips :D

Aww thank you. TBH Steve doesn't pay a penny towards vet bills, but he does make sure the house side of things is all sorted and he also pays for some of the animal food and housing costs. But regardless of how much he puts in financially I couldn't do any of it without him as he does so much practically, including most of the vet trips :D

Go Steve!!!
I'm not going to have a guess on Kris' bill...I'd feel like I was cheating :lol:

Back