• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Honey!

This is Honey:
Honeydutch.jpg

This is Honey after just being put into the 4 foot by 8 foot indoor-outdoor hutch that we built for her:

Hutch3SideBox.jpg

Hutch3FrontOpen.jpg

Hutch3EscapePlan.jpg

Already thinking about escaping!

Honeysmile-1.jpg

She's beautiful :love::love::love::love: and her accommodation is big enough.:)
Just one comment:oops:: rabbits need constant access to unlimited hay, which she doesn't seem to have in the photos.

:love: Awww she is lovely, someone is good with DIY to make that aren't they that looks really well made, quite a good idea on wheels, haven't seen one of those before. :)

Looks very nice...perhaps some toys for her to chew and play with so she doesn't get bored, and lots and lots of hay available 24hrs a day :D

lildebs - She has toys. They just weren't in there at that time. She has a large plastic "cat" ball she enjoys pushing around, a small zig-zag cat ball that I'm not sure she pushes around, and a couple cardboard boxes she tears to shreds. :)

Rachel - the lid shuts. But it's very heavy...it was a mishap during building. My fiance, and his dad, and I all built it together - originally the opening was to be the back of the hutch - but then I was afraid that she'd slip out when I opened it. So we closed it. But the top is now terribly heavy...it's a struggle for me to lift it up, and when I close it I have to rest the top of my fingers, then yank my fingers out real quick for it to close... It's terribly inconvenient, :/ In fact one day one finger of mine slipped out too slow and the entire weight of the lid landed on one finger. That hurt!

Lol. Sure. Got the money? It truly is a neat design - that falls on my fiance's dad - he's a great architect. The main reason it was built was because Honey outgrew the biggest store-bought cage that I have. I bit my lip everytime I pulled her out of the cage because I had to turn her onto her side in order to pull her through the cage. So for a while I had her in the hallway - which is where she's at in the first and last pictures. She was in the hallway until the hutch was completed.

VickiP- again, my fiance's dad neat idea. The wheels he had laying around, and figured it was better they be put to use rather than just sitting and collecting dust. They're not all-terrain wheels, so the hutch gets wheeled somewhere out in the drive - but we wheel her back inside when the bald eagle arrives(I'm not taking a chance, >_< I don't think the bald eagles could get into the hutch, but still...)

antigone - Thank you! Originally, my fiance wanted to name her Carpe(accent on the e) as a neat twist to "Carpet" since he said her color looking like carpet, lol. But he changed that to Honey because she has a honey colored spot on the back of her neck.

She gets hay - she doesn't have any in the first and last pictures because I was right up close, where she's located in those pictures, is close to the stairs which...ew...shoes tramping all over hay. The hay was located further back in the hallway. And I don't like the idea of putting hay in litter boxes...it irks me.

And I THINK, don't quote me, I think I was putting the hay in her sleepbox that you see in the second picture, and in the third she just got put in there - it's hard to remember, I always put hay in different areas - sometimes in her sleep boxes, sometimes in her "chewing boxes", sometimes just on the floor. And that was back in the summer, so I can't remember where I was putting it for sure. Gimme a break, geez! Lol. My bunny has nommables, lol.

I'm glad she gets constant access to hay. :)
Don't be afraid to put it in the litter tray. Bunnies seem to love eating when doing their business.:lol:

It just seems so unsanitary, :/ I know many people have had success litter-training their rabbits by putting hay in the boxes - but Honey's pretty good with using her's. She's reached sexual maturity now, so sometimes she pees just outside of the litter box to spite me, though. But otherwise she still uses it. :)

Before you ask - yes, I need to get her spayed, but I don't have the money right now. It worries me. :(

I'm just glad she isn't like my guinea pig, who pees while doing EVERYTHING. >_< At least Honey keeps to the same general area. Which is good, because I can just wipe up...we'll call them accidents, since the floor is smooth. Lol. Poos are nothing. I'm not concerned about poos. :)

I like that it is on wheels too. Good idea.

You could always put newspaper under the litter tray to soak up any little accidents. Two of my buns like to pee over the edge of their tray so that's what I do. My bunnies would just like to say that hay in the litter tray helps them to concentrate on the job in hand ;) They also have hay in a hay rack attached to the wire mesh so it's not just a case of eating out of the litter tray :lol:

Rabswood

Back