• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

im new and 1st rabbit

hello evertone nice to meet u all.:wave:
i bought a rabbit last night and since i have brought rabbit home she keeps sneezing. i took her to the vets who say she has a respiritory infection. she is 10-12 weeks old. is this common? how long does it take to go?
my bunny is living inside is this ok?

My partner has hayfever but has been ok but i have been a bit breathless (i am an anxiety sufferer so this may be cause) if i was allergic to bunny then it would be worse by now wouldnt it?

i aso believe u can toilet train them is this true?

help would be appreciated this is new to me.

many thanx
catherine xx

Hiya :wave: and welcome to you and your bun!

I don't know much about respiratory infections I'm afraid. Bunnies certainly can live inside, there are lots of people on here with house rabbits, myself included! What kind of home has she got? I only ask as indoor cages tend to be too small, and as you bought the bunny (presumably from a pet shop?) you were probably advised to get an unsuitable cage :roll: The recommended minimum size is 6ft by 2ft by 2ft. I would recommend either a big dog crate, a puppy pen, or a NIC cube setup like ours:
DSC00342.jpg

They are also often easy to litter train - our boy bun Beau trained himself, we've never had to put any actual effort into training him :D As long as they have an area that they are obviously supposed to go in, like a litter tray, bunnies naturally like to do their business all in one place. We use an underbed storage thingy for our litter tray, with a layer of newspaper, a layer of sawdust, then a layer of hay - they hay helps as bunnies like to poop and eat at the same time :roll: (strange creatures!)
She is too young yet, but when the time comes it would be a good idea to get her spayed as this will help with litter training, but also will reduce her risk of cancer, which she would be at a high risk for if not spayed. I presume you will also get her vaccinated for vhd and myxi?
Hope that helps :D

thank you. yes this does help. she is in a smal cage at the moment but we are building an indoor area for bunny. she is out of the cage most of the time wandering around. i will be having her vaccinated but they wouldnt do it now as she is unwell. any ideas on how much it will cost to spay her. i will be doing this as i heard it can cause cancer.

catherine x

respiratory infections need to be dealt with quickly, as they do become worse and are hard to shift if the infection gets worse. my two got a respiratory infection and a normal vets kept dismissing it as anything serious. now i have a rabbit who has been on treatment nearly a year and it has been tough going. so i would get it sorted asap.

i don't know if the treatment is any different for a young rabbit though... :? did you go to a proper rabbit/exotics vet? this is important. did the vet give you any medication for it?

rabbits can be litter trained. easier when they are neutered/spayed though. she will beable to be spayed around 6 months i think.

she will need vaccinating aswell... myxi is twice yearly and vhd once. i think myxi vaccs can be done at 12 weeks?? someone confirm this please.

can't wait for pics! :wave:

thank you. yes this does help. she is in a smal cage at the moment but we are building an indoor area for bunny. she is out of the cage most of the time wandering around. i will be having her vaccinated but they wouldnt do it now as she is unwell. any ideas on how much it will cost to spay her. i will be doing this as i heard it can cause cancer.

catherine x

Hello :wave:
I got my boy castrated before xmas and it cost £55.00, so it will be higher for a doe. just a rough estimate for you :D

i had her from pets at home last night so called them today and they asked me to go down as they have a vets in there. they gave her an antibiotic which i give her with a seringe and a powder to put in her water bottle xxx

Welcome to the forum :wave: You will find lots of advice here :)

Can I ask where you got your bunny from? If you got her from a pet shop I would be putting in a complaint and perhaps warning them that there other buns may be ill too. These types of infections can be contagious.

i had her from pets at home last night so called them today and they asked me to go down as they have a vets in there. they gave her an antibiotic which i give her with a seringe and a powder to put in her water bottle xxx

i really would see a proper rabbit vet. whereabouts are you? someone will know one near you.

:wave: Hiya and welcome to the forum.
I had Bella spayed at 6mth old (as soon as she is able to be done book her in, the sooner the better) it cost £70 inc a consultaion 10days later, Myx jab was £15 and VHD was £17....as your girl's young it will give you a little time to save :D...litter training is relatively easy...I use cat wood pellets in the litter tray and hay, don't buy the cat clay based litter as this can be harmful to buns...enjoy your new bundle :D what's her name?

Sorry, you just answered my question. Did Pets at Home cover the vet fees?

:wave: her name is princess (my daughter named her) i called to pets at home store i got her from and explained and they just said aww right ok im sorry and that was it. i dont want to take her back as i have bonded with her already.

i dont have hayfever but i thought they could cause asthma? i know people get breatheing problems from them.

shes still sneezing the poor thing. x

Back