• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eleanor and Megan-My Very First Rabbits

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
.............bought on a whim from Petsmart (now P@H).......... :shock: :oops:

Janes035.jpg

Gorgeous were they the start of your love for rex bunnies. I can certainly understand why you love rexes so much :love:

Awww, very pretty ladies. :love::love: Is that a bunny-made hole in plywood that they're peeking through? I'm trying to work out what's in the foreground.

lovely pic jane. how long ago did these girls embrace your life?

Not very long :cry:

Megan had severe Ulcerative Pododermatitis which spread to her bones :cry:

Eleanor was PTS unnecessarily, the Vet I was with at the time said there was no treatment for molar spurs.......................:evil: :cry:

I knew no better at the time and when I found out I felt like I'd killed Eleanor :cry: It is the reason I made it my mission to try to learn as much as I can about Rabbit Medicine so as a similar thing can NEVER happen again.

Megan was PTS on 17th September 2002 aged just 3.5 years :cry:

Eleanor was PTS on 5th January 2003 aged 4 years :cry:

I also had their Sister, Beatrice. This is Bea with Gemma.

Scan10020.jpg

Beatrice was Jack's Mum ( result of an 'accident' ) She was PTS on 4th August 2003 due to Dental Disease, abscesses and pneumonia :cry: Bea was only 4.5 years of age.

Had I known more about Rabbit Health and Welfare and also that some Vets are CLUELESS about Rabbits I have no doubt that Eleanor, Megan and Beatrice would have had much longer lives :cry:

the journey of being owned by rabbits:) i can't imagine being without a bun or several now - eric's fault for looking sad:oops:

i meant how long ago did eleanor and megan come into your life? i imagined you'd had rabbits all your life? x

the journey of being owned by rabbits:) i can't imagine being without a bun or several now - eric's fault for looking sad:oops:

i meant how long ago did eleanor and megan come into your life? i imagined you'd had rabbits all your life? x

No, I obtained Eleanor, Megan and Beatrice in January 1998 :)

I actually went in to Petsmart for some food for Gemma, my dog. But I came out with the food and Eleanor. Next day I went back for another Bun as I felt sorry for Eleanor alone in the kitchen when I went to bed. So Megan came home too. Then 3 days later I went back for some Rabbit Food and there was just one baby Rex Bunny left.......Beatrice.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

*hugs* The photos are beautiful and you were not to blame, vets are supposed to be trust worthy and you weren't to know any different.

I wish I knew then what I know now though :cry:

I know:cry: This thread has got me thinking about my first bunny Flopsy and whether the vet could have done more...:? Always a dangerous trail of thought, although she lived to almost eight and had what I believe to be a stroke/fit. She lost movement in her right side at the vets whilst having treatment so my Mum made the call to have her PTS on my authority...I had to go back to Uni:censored::censored::censored:
Having read RU etc I often wonder if she had EC and could have been saved :cry: However I honestly do believe the vet did all her could as my Mum said he actually cried. He wrote to me to say how sorry he was that he couldn't save her, but part of me still wonders.

I know:cry: This thread has got me thinking about my first bunny Flopsy and whether the vet could have done more...:? Always a dangerous trail of thought, although she lived to almost eight and had what I believe to be a stroke/fit. She lost movement in her right side at the vets whilst having treatment so my Mum made the call to have her PTS on my authority...I had to go back to Uni:censored::censored::censored:
Having read RU etc I often wonder if she had EC and could have been saved :cry: However I honestly do believe the vet did all her could as my Mum said he actually cried. He wrote to me to say how sorry he was that he couldn't save her, but part of me still wonders.

How upsetting.:(

How upsetting.:(

Thank you...I keep meaning to do a retrospect dedication in the Rainbow Bridge thread but just don't know what to say:cry: I miss her so much and sometimes even call my new bunny her name by mistake as she reminds me of her so much:oops:

Back