• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Deli the dali.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Deli has been a bit poorly and doesn't she look it.
She has been feeling the cold and manages to look pathetic.
011.jpg

She now has a rug,which we can't take off because she loves the cosiness of it.:roll:
137.jpg

but she still manages to look miserable.
198.jpg

I think she looks much more comfortable in her rug. What is her story halfpenny?

Deli was booked into the vets to be PTS, aged 12, because the owners grandson was alledgedly allergic to her. I saw the note on the computer and called Mike and we agreed to offer her a home. The vet spoke to the owners when she came in and they agreed we could take her. They claimed they had tried to rehome her but none of the rescues would take her, I'm not sure how true this is.
She had a huge wart on her eye which meant che couldn't close it properly, so the week after hse came home we booked her in and asked for pre-op bloods to be taken. These showed she had elevated liver enzymes, so she is now on a renal diet and samilyn sachets, as well as previcox for her arthritis. At one point her liver enzymes were 10 times above normal, but they have dropped to only 5 times above normal, so we are happy with that. Deli is now 13 and half, and seems fairly content, she's a bit deaf and if she thinks your are giving her into trouble, usually when you are trying to get her attention, she will run off- so I guess she has been given into trouble a lot in her previous home.

Last edited:
Awww bless her. Sounds as though she's had a pretty miserable life. Thank goodness you took her in, & can give her some loving care at the end of her years.
I wonder how you can get through to a partially deaf dog without raising your voice? I guess there's a reason why a "dog whistle" won't work?

I usually just try to catch her eye now, and if I kneel down with my arms open she will run over. The problem is when you are trying to catch her eye, and obviously you still try shouting:roll:, and then she thinks she is in trouble.:(

I had a similar "fear" problem with a very severely abused cat. I couldn't use a stern/raised, voice to express displeasure, or the poor soul would cower away for several days. In the end I just put him into the hall for "boring time out" when he jumped on the meal table. Then of course he learned that if he needed to go out, he had to be naughty!!:lol:
I had 9 wonderful years with him.

Sorry it's a different problem in many respects. I've just got a soft spot for frightened animals.

Back