• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Rubbish Hay !!-U/D Question Post 35

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I have never used P@H hay before but due to the dire supply situation today I had no option.
What rubbish hay it is !!

Thank goodness I still have some dried grass here cos my lot wont touch the P@H hay and I dont blame them. At least I can use it for their litter trays I suppose.

Last edited:
Mine quite like the Timothy hay from there but i've never bought that other stuff. Their straw doesn't look too clever either!

I've had to grab a small bag of this in an emergency too before, and it didn't go down well with my lot either!

Mine quite like the Timothy hay from there but i've never bought that other stuff. Their straw doesn't look too clever either!

I get straw from there as it's not to bad - they just sleep on that anyway. But i bought their hay once and it was awful. As jane said pretty much just sweepings from a barn floor. Pretty bad stuff. I did get some excel forage from there though - they like that - pricey though :shock:

I have noticed that P@H have suddenly put their prices up (again). They want £3.50 for a bag of Herby Harvest now, it was £2.99 teh week before:evil:

Radish had then when I first got her and she barely ate any of it. I swapped to Excel Herbage and she noms that really quickly.

I attempted to buy some hay in Tesco the other day, as I couldn't get to anywhere else and I used to get really nice stuff from Morrisons that the buns loved....

I left it in the end as it was just a bag of brown crumbs :? I wouldn't make roll a cigarette out of stuff that consistency let alone give it to my buns as their main food. I ended up begging some farm hay off a friend.

Pets at home should have higher standards by now. :? i know it's a naturally variable product but if other suppliers can ensure high quality then so should they....

i'm reduced to p@h plain hay at the moment. when that runs out tomorrow, its 'comfey', i think, which is even less appealing. snow needs to go so i can have a delivery!

if i could get to p@h i could get them some fancy hays, which they like. and crunchies. i like to be popular.

I've bought their hay before - my buns aren't fussy AT ALL :lol: Though I buy it in bales now, as I did think the strands were quite small, though tbh its just so much cheaper buying a bale. The P@H Timothy Hay is good, the buns always seemed to enjoy that.

Regarding the straw - I used to buy it from P@H but they must have changed the supply a couple months ago, as it went from being nice long strands to small bits and I don't find it insulates well at all. Just flattens straight down, which is a bit pointless? :?

I have never used P@H hay before but due to the dire supply situation today I had no option.
What rubbish hay it is !!

Thank goodness I still have some dried grass here cos my lot wont touch the P@H hay and I dont blame them. At least I can use it for their litter trays I suppose.

Beau always has it in his litter tray, and understandably won't eat it...except weirdly when he's under the weather, it's therefore often a sign of impending stasis :roll:

It is dreadful stuff......it is short, dusty and even feels kind of damp to me and musty ? There are some things I will buy in P@H, but that is not one of them. I get all mine from a pet feed outlet, it is their own bagged hay and it is great, dry long strands and like it has come cut from a proper meadow.

I've bought it as bedding before... Ruby actually seemed to enjoy it but she'll eat anything.
It looked a bit rubbish though. I hate how it's all compressed in the packaging too (although I'm aware it makes it easier to carry, etc). It just makes it so hard to get out of the plastic. :lol:

lucky to be rural

I guess we're lucky that we can buy a proper bale from the farm. It smells lovely. I'd eat it myself if I ate hay :)

I remember being given a free bag of P@H hay with something I bought, and it looked horrid and smelled mustyfusty. I threw it away.

Is this a dim question: What is Timothy hay? Does someone grow Timothy grass? Should I be providing it? Ours get hay, Excel and lots of veggies etc. Are they missing out?

Back