PDA

View Full Version : What Rubbish Hay !!-U/D Question Post 35

Jack's-Jane
06-01-2010, 10:15 PM
I have never used P@H hay before but due to the dire supply situation today I had no option.
What rubbish hay it is !!

Thank goodness I still have some dried grass here cos my lot wont touch the P@H hay and I dont blame them. At least I can use it for their litter trays I suppose.

SisterMoonbeam
06-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Is it the stuff with really tiny strands and just bits of dust that smells awful?

Michelleox
06-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Mine quite like the Timothy hay from there but i've never bought that other stuff. Their straw doesn't look too clever either!

Jack's-Jane
06-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Is it the stuff with really tiny strands and just bits of dust that smells awful?

It is just their ordinary hay. How they can call it hay I dont know. More like sweepings off the barn floor.

shibby69
06-01-2010, 10:19 PM
I've had to grab a small bag of this in an emergency too before, and it didn't go down well with my lot either!

*Bex*
06-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Horrid stuff isnt it!! My lot wouldn't touch it

SisterMoonbeam
06-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Mine quite like the Timothy hay from there but i've never bought that other stuff. Their straw doesn't look too clever either!

I get straw from there as it's not to bad - they just sleep on that anyway. But i bought their hay once and it was awful. As jane said pretty much just sweepings from a barn floor. Pretty bad stuff. I did get some excel forage from there though - they like that - pricey though :shock:

Michelleox
06-01-2010, 10:26 PM
I have noticed that P@H have suddenly put their prices up (again). They want £3.50 for a bag of Herby Harvest now, it was £2.99 teh week before:evil:

hurricanhoney
06-01-2010, 10:27 PM
I have noticed that P@H have suddenly put their prices up (again). They want £3.50 for a bag of Herby Harvest now, it was £2.99 teh week before:evil:

Is it the VAT increase :? That's certainly a shocking price rise. :shock:

Michelleox
06-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Is it the VAT increase :? That's certainly a shocking price rise. :shock:

Theyre cheeky baskets then, i bought it the day after boxing day:evil:

hellsdarkrose
06-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Radish had then when I first got her and she barely ate any of it. I swapped to Excel Herbage and she noms that really quickly.

clutterydrawer
06-01-2010, 10:37 PM
I attempted to buy some hay in Tesco the other day, as I couldn't get to anywhere else and I used to get really nice stuff from Morrisons that the buns loved....

I left it in the end as it was just a bag of brown crumbs :? I wouldn't make roll a cigarette out of stuff that consistency let alone give it to my buns as their main food. I ended up begging some farm hay off a friend.

Pets at home should have higher standards by now. :? i know it's a naturally variable product but if other suppliers can ensure high quality then so should they....

Lspacehopper
06-01-2010, 10:40 PM

It was on offer at that price.

happybun
06-01-2010, 10:46 PM
i'm reduced to p@h plain hay at the moment. when that runs out tomorrow, its 'comfey', i think, which is even less appealing. snow needs to go so i can have a delivery!

if i could get to p@h i could get them some fancy hays, which they like. and crunchies. i like to be popular.

Debster
06-01-2010, 10:46 PM
I've bought their hay before - my buns aren't fussy AT ALL :lol: Though I buy it in bales now, as I did think the strands were quite small, though tbh its just so much cheaper buying a bale. The P@H Timothy Hay is good, the buns always seemed to enjoy that.

Regarding the straw - I used to buy it from P@H but they must have changed the supply a couple months ago, as it went from being nice long strands to small bits and I don't find it insulates well at all. Just flattens straight down, which is a bit pointless? :?

Lib_n_bunny
06-01-2010, 10:48 PM
I have never used P@H hay before but due to the dire supply situation today I had no option.
What rubbish hay it is !!

Thank goodness I still have some dried grass here cos my lot wont touch the P@H hay and I dont blame them. At least I can use it for their litter trays I suppose.

Beau always has it in his litter tray, and understandably won't eat it...except weirdly when he's under the weather, it's therefore often a sign of impending stasis :roll:

Charys
06-01-2010, 10:50 PM
It is dreadful stuff......it is short, dusty and even feels kind of damp to me and musty ? There are some things I will buy in P@H, but that is not one of them. I get all mine from a pet feed outlet, it is their own bagged hay and it is great, dry long strands and like it has come cut from a proper meadow.

Loosy
06-01-2010, 10:53 PM
I've bought it as bedding before... Ruby actually seemed to enjoy it but she'll eat anything.
It looked a bit rubbish though. I hate how it's all compressed in the packaging too (although I'm aware it makes it easier to carry, etc). It just makes it so hard to get out of the plastic. :lol:

glossta1
06-01-2010, 10:58 PM
I guess we're lucky that we can buy a proper bale from the farm. It smells lovely. I'd eat it myself if I ate hay :)

I remember being given a free bag of P@H hay with something I bought, and it looked horrid and smelled mustyfusty. I threw it away.

Is this a dim question: What is Timothy hay? Does someone grow Timothy grass? Should I be providing it? Ours get hay, Excel and lots of veggies etc. Are they missing out?

Jack's-Jane
06-01-2010, 11:01 PM
I guess we're lucky that we can buy a proper bale from the farm. It smells lovely. I'd eat it myself if I ate hay :)

The farm I buy from is snowbound hence I had no choice but to buy from P@H.

Milo+Fizz
06-01-2010, 11:17 PM
I totally agree with you Jane, its just awful. I used it ONCE, never again, mostly just dust! Think I will stick to my cheap bales that the buns and pigs love.

Becky86
06-01-2010, 11:19 PM
I totally agree with you Jane, its just awful. I used it ONCE, never again, mostly just dust! Think I will stick to my cheap bales that the buns and pigs love.

Where do you get your bales from hun? :) xXx

poppymoon
06-01-2010, 11:21 PM
i only bought their hay once and not even my piggles would eat it - they wheeked as if i'd starved them for days:lol: used it in the hutch corners in the end to soak up wee.

Buuny_Friend
06-01-2010, 11:21 PM
It is just their ordinary hay. How they can call it hay I dont know. More like sweepings off the barn floor.

That is exactly what Paul said it looks like. They feed it to their shop bunnies - it looks like a mixture of hay and straw.

beki
06-01-2010, 11:22 PM
will my bunnies must eat anything! they love the stuff...but really i don't think ruby is all that picky. P@H hay was the onyl hay reggie would eat until ruby introduced him to the joys of farm bale hay...and everything else she noms the naughty bunny! i caught him nibbling fleece the other day!

tigerangel
06-01-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm using an emergency supply of hay at the moment for their litter trays that I got from Focus as I haven't been able to get to the pet shop for farm hay since before Christmas. It's the chopped up bright yellow stuff, strands are barely an inch in length.

Result? The bunnies hate it so much that they're refusing to even pee on it and have started relieving themselves on the carpet instead :roll:

(I do have a giant box of Oxbow timothy hay which is their food, but it costs £60 a box and I really don't want to use it as toilet-hay...!)

Debster
06-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Is this a dim question: What is Timothy hay? Does someone grow Timothy grass? Should I be providing it? Ours get hay, Excel and lots of veggies etc. Are they missing out?

I don't know exactly, but it seems to be a different type of hay that includes thicker strands than meadow hay and what my OH tells me is "hay seeds" (looks a bit like a small strand of wheat)...sorry :oops:... not really explaining it very well...I'm sure someone with better knowledge than me will answer soon and make more sense! :oops::lol:

Candiflare
07-01-2010, 10:25 AM
I found a bag of hay from P@H at the back of our shed after searching for half an hour in my hay crisis. Alleluia! But I put it in the buns hutches and they haven't touched it. Not interested. They haven't even trampled it down!

nursecroft
07-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Yeh its awful stuff and way over priced!

hurricanhoney
07-01-2010, 10:27 AM
I found a bag of hay from P@H at the back of our shed after searching for half an hour in my hay crisis. Alleluia! But I put it in the buns hutches and they haven't touched it. Not interested. They haven't even trampled it down!

If you are still struggling when the roads get a bit better you are welcome to some of mine I had a delivery the other day. Have you tried the farm shop in Carterton. My bunnies go wild for their bags of hay which are about £1.00. They also do bales for about £4.00 but the quality isn't as good.

abbymarysmokey
07-01-2010, 10:28 AM
ASDA used to do reasonable quality hay...think it was Bob Martins...not sure if they still stock the same brand nowadays though

Ted an Petal
07-01-2010, 10:31 AM
P@H hay is rubbish, i got it one time on a emergency and the buns hardly looked at it, it jagged into my fingers as well. it's just hay dust that their selling at ridiculous prices

Candiflare
07-01-2010, 10:35 AM
If you are still struggling when the roads get a bit better you are welcome to some of mine I had a delivery the other day. Have you tried the farm shop in Carterton. My bunnies go wild for their bags of hay which are about £1.00. They also do bales for about £4.00 but the quality isn't as good.

Thanks Emma... that's really helpful. I normally get supplies from Countrywide in Witney and our village shop supplies great local bales too. If it isn't open today then I may try and get the bus into Chippy tomorrow (can't get the car there yet) and may take you up on your offer! I've asked you this before, but which vet do you use? Chippy or Hook Norton/Charlbury?

LoopyLouie
07-01-2010, 10:35 AM
ASDA used to do reasonable quality hay...think it was Bob Martins...not sure if they still stock the same brand nowadays though

They still do, it's Meadow Hay, that's the one I get for my Wilm. I used to buy Timothy Hay or Excel from P@H but it got sooo expensive and Wilm much prefers the Asda stuff anyway! Lol x

Jack's-Jane
07-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Should I contact the RWA to see if they can put some pressure on P@H to improve the quality of the 'standard' hay they sell ?
I am sure its what most people will buy and it clearly has minimal nutritional value. I bet most Buns just fill up on concentrate feed ...... dental disease in the making.

Michelleox
07-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks Emma... that's really helpful. I normally get supplies from Countrywide in Witney and our village shop supplies great local bales too. If it isn't open today then I may try and get the bus into Chippy tomorrow (can't get the car there yet) and may take you up on your offer! I've asked you this before, but which vet do you use? Chippy or Hook Norton/Charlbury?

If it's any help i can nip down to Countrywide now for you. My boss is attempting to drive us to Kidlington. Can't you pick it up from me there?

Candiflare
07-01-2010, 10:49 AM
If it's any help i can nip down to Countrywide now for you. My boss is attempting to drive us to Kidlington. Can't you pick it up from me there?

Thanks Michelle... My dad and I are trying to get the car started... we can't just yet... If we can, we will be able to get to countrywide. I may also try and get there on the bus this afternoon if we can't start the car xx

Michelleox
07-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks Michelle... My dad and I are trying to get the car started... we can't just yet... If we can, we will be able to get to countrywide. I may also try and get there on the bus this afternoon if we can't start the car xx

Drive carefully, the main roads in Witney aren't too bad. Let me know if i can do anything x
(the things we do for our buns!)

willowholly
07-01-2010, 11:27 AM
I used that before & it was full of thorns-nasty big ones.Dont buy anything from there anymore since came out crying cos felt so sorry for their buns.:(

Angie65
07-01-2010, 11:33 AM
It's not great. My lot will be on that from tomorrow night unless the stables is back out from under the drift:?

SarahP
07-01-2010, 11:35 AM

Yes and Sainsburys too, if it's still the same stuff. :)

hurricanhoney
07-01-2010, 02:56 PM

I use Hook Norton but Charlbury is one of its branches. I really don't get on with Chipping Norton they are linked with Hook Norton in emergencies. I rang and ended up with a Chipping Norton vet the other morning for Frankie she proceeded to tell me it would cost 3 times the amount and I should wait. I said no I could not wait, said she would ring back and get another emergency vet and then told me I had to wait until my own practice opened. That is the second time they quoted the money at me and told me to wait when it was an emergency. :evil:

tigerangel
07-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Managed to pick up some of my regular cheapy-cheap ‘litter tray’ hay from the petshop today :D I was going to get 3 bags to stock up, but when I looked they only had 6 bags left and I thought of all the local bunnies that only get fed this cheap stuff that I use for litter trays and felt guilty so I put a bag back... :oops:

Oh well, hopefully no more carpet accidents from the bunnies deciding the REALLY bad stuff wasn't even good enough to pee on :roll:

MopsyMops =]
07-01-2010, 03:29 PM
I got some from pets at home, which my too liked, but it wasnt really fine. I dont know if thats the one your on about or not :lol:

Any fine hay is wasted on my two anyway. I think its because they cant sit their and chew for ages :?.

Bex, Dave and Robbie
07-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Should I contact the RWA to see if they can put some pressure on P@H to improve the quality of the 'standard' hay they sell ?
I am sure its what most people will buy and it clearly has minimal nutritional value. I bet most Buns just fill up on concentrate feed ...... dental disease in the making.

To be fair our buns are mostly on hay from P@H and apart from one who came to us with no front teeth no dental issues, we do buy the timothy hay..but they tend to chomp the bedding hay too

kitschkitty
07-01-2010, 06:12 PM
I've never bought PaH hay, but last week I needed hay & as I was shopping I checked the price and quality of the hay in Tesco - it was awful, so Deej had to wait a day on the last of the hay in his cage, till OH could pop out to the pet shop - which turned out to be out of hay, but clever OH remembered the pet shop wound the corner - they had tonnes of hay and it was even cheaper (and possibly even a bit nicer) than Deej's normal hay!

But then luckily for us Deej will eat pretty much any hay (I once had to buy hay in Wilkinsons and it was all yellow and smelt of nothing at all - I felt bad giving him it)! :oops:

cavysrock
07-01-2010, 06:28 PM
my lot were fine with pah hay.
they didn't like timothy hay or ready grass, thay just liked boring hay

Milo+Fizz
07-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Where do you get your bales from hun? :) xXx

I actually get it delivered with my horses round bales from a local farmer called John :lol:. My mom orders it so I dont actually have details but I could get them for you if you need them?

clutterydrawer
07-01-2010, 08:25 PM

Can't do any harm :) I'm sure that for every bun who enjoys "bad" hay there are prob 50 more who don't, so their owners think "oh he doesn't like hay" and compensate with other less healthy foods.

It would be nice if there was more general awareness that there can be good and bad hay too, although I dont really see how that would be achieved. For a long time I just assumed all hay was the same :oops:

willowholly
07-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Yes and Sainsburys too, if it's still the same stuff. :)
I use Bob Martins hay from Sainsburys but they've put it up by 30p its now £1.79.My 2 love it.:)

Bluesmum
07-01-2010, 08:59 PM
I really notice the difference when I give my 2 farm hay...they both smell lovely :oops: and so does the living room....much better than room freshener!
I just wish I had the space to buy full bales rather than the bags :cry:

SarahP
07-01-2010, 09:24 PM
To be honest, I think there are far worse things that pet shops sell than bad hay. eg. sugary treats.