• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rex heart and probs PLEASE

Benjybunnyboo

Alpha Buck
What is this please as i have a mini rex and not heard of this and ive read they are not hardy, im worried now as ive just lost one bun to stasis i think. I failed him (Widget) by not noticing quick enough and i cant/wont let it happen to Benjy.

Last edited:
Ive not heard of it either but i think Rexes are prone to having a weak heart... :( rexes are such fragile bunnies, as some of us on the forum have learnt today :cry:

xXx

My rex is eight years old and still going. However, I have lost bunnies at very young ages.:( Sadly, bunnies (of any breed) are very fragile.:(

Funny you have just posted this I was just researching the exact same question as my Frankie has recently gone into statis and he's a rex. Will look forward to the replies.

i dont think heart troubles are breed specific, just rotton awful luck

pearl is a satin and is at the very end with an enlarged heart.

i promise you will not miss the symptoms of heart trouble, sadly some vets do tho :evil:

In my experience Rexes that have been very in-bred have a predisposition towards Heart Disease.
There does not appear to be any documented evidence, but it is known of in the 'Breeder World'

I have lost 4 Rexes to Heart Disease :cry:

In my experience Rexes that have been very in-bred have a predisposition towards Heart Disease.
There does not appear to be any documented evidence, but it is known of in the 'Breeder World'

I have lost 4 Rexes to Heart Disease :cry:

Unfortunately i dont know Benjy's history as i adopted him from RSPCA but he didnt seem worried by recent castration op, but he is young still. Im just paraniod at the mo due to losing Widget just before xmas. I am sorry for your loss xx

Thank you all for replies xx

I have three rexs here with heart problems, all in their autumn years though. I lost one of my own with heart problems in the summer and a rescue rex as well. All rescue bunnies so their background is not know, but considering they are the only ones I have had here with this illness, it is a bit of a coincidence.

Alice

I's not an expert on this but my previous rex, Pebbles, passed away at just under 10 years old. She was living with a lovely little cross breed, Spodge (age unknown) who died 6 months before her of heart problems.

Cassie and Oakley, my lovely pair of (rescue) bunnies are rexes and my current (very pretty) foster bun, Dayze, is a rex and I do fuss over them, especially knowing the breed has a reputation for being a bit more delicate. I just try to make the most every day with them and whatever problems they may have, will try to do my best for them as enjoy having them so much as they are such brilliant bunnies :love:

Back