• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Get teeth removed or not ??

sarahjayne

Young Bun
I took my poor Sooty to vets 6 weeks ago as one of his bottom teeth had grown so much it was nearly touching his nose:(
reduced his pellets since then i even seen him eating hay more..but yesterday had to take him back tooth was coming back up:( vet burdered them yesterday, but said as it was only 6 weeks since last time she said i may have to go every 6 weeks..she did say the other option is to have all four taken out as when i went all 4 were growing funny..she said that it was take a hour to do and cost prob about 160 quid which is not the problem i do anything for him..

just dunno what to do for best and if anyone has been though same what they did etc ?
thx in advance:D

Once front teeth are misaligned, they don't rub together and wear each other down, so you're going to keep having this problem.
Our little nethie Squidgy had the same when he came to us, and we had his incisors removed. It was a little tender to start with, but he's now had no front teefs for over 6 years and he's fine. We have to cut his veg and hay up for him, but that's all.

If I was in your possition i would have them removed, I think its better in the long run it must be very stressful going through that every 6 wks or so. Good luck with him x

I always take the option of having them removed. Provided you are happy that your vet is rabbit savvy, and they say your little bun is healthy enough to have the op, I think it is the best course.

We have had quite a number done and not lost a bunny yet, I am sure they are better for it. And, no doubt, he will get plenty of pampering!

Alice

Back