• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ignorant of Bunny etiquette..

Kloy

Warren Scout
Rambo is always putting his head down and asking Lola to groom him; I don't think she understands, because she just copies him and they both sit there nose to nose for minutes on end!

Does anyone else have a bunny who doesn't seem sure of 'bunny etiquette'? Is this likely to cause problems between them in the long term?

I do give them a groom...I draw the line at licking their faces for them though! :D

Rambo understands; I've seen him groom Lola a fair few times now. Not for very long mind, but then they are new friends. I wonder if its because Lola lived by herself for a year before having a husbun? Hmmmm...

I'll try the banana idea...she does love to eat...thanks for suggestion!

Brian didnt understand when Molly was asking to be groomed for months! He just got the hang of it eventually!

Rambo is always putting his head down and asking Lola to groom him; I don't think she understands, because she just copies him and they both sit there nose to nose for minutes on end!

Does anyone else have a bunny who doesn't seem sure of 'bunny etiquette'? Is this likely to cause problems between them in the long term?

We had the exact same thing with Beau, we tried to bond him, but he just doesn't get it bless him, the other bunny would put her nose down, so he'd do it too, it broke my heart, because he was obviously copying thinking it was the right thing to do :cry: in the end we had to seperate them as they wouldnt' stop fighting, they both just got so frustrated :cry:

Also very similar in that Beau was a single house bun for a year, it's almost like he thinks he's a human. He knows that we stroke him without him ever having to do it back, so it's probably our fault.

Try the honey thing, didn't work with ours, but it often does work, make sure you put it where they definitely can't reach themselves though.

Maybe Lola is more dominant so she doesn't think she should have to groom anyone else :lol:
Pipkin doesn't quite understand it either... he just tries to groom Ruby ALL the time even when she doesn't ask. ^_^

have fun with the bananna its a nightmare to smear on :lol:

i sometimes wonder if its still to do with a certain dominance thing, no you groom me noooo you groom me first. someone my buns do this still and i will watch to see who gives in first

as for not getting down to groom them why ever not :lol::lol: must admit i am a nose to nose rub type or person with my snuggle bun doc, he loves it and i whispher in his ear and try to copy his grinding after a while he'll just totaly flop spesh after his jaw masage :love:

Maybe Lola is more dominant so she doesn't think she should have to groom anyone else :lol:

I've always assumed exactly that with mine when I see this sort of behaviour, too! :) With one of my pairs, Barney ALWAYS expect to be groomed and will get his own way because as soon as he turns to Amber she is very licky. Then she'll stop and put her head down in front of him, wanting a little affection back, and he either flicks his paws and jumps over her and away, or else they lie there, nose-to-nose, waiting for one of them to give in. Amber always gives in, but she's not the dominant bun in that pair..

I'm sure I read somewhere that the higher a bunny is in their heirarchy, be it a pair or a group, then THEY get to demand grooming from those they see as beneath them. Although...! Being allowed to groom a more dominant bunny is a compliment, so I never feel too sorry for my less dominant bunnies, as they seem glad to be asked to do some headlicks~!

Twinsen and Patrick are like this. Patrick will willingly groom Twinsen when she puts her head down infront of him but Twinsen just hops away when he does it :lol:

Back