• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Albert has died *cries* Hypothermia

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
Went out to the hutch this morning and found Albert curled up in the corner of his hutch. I picked him up and he was totally floppy. Ran inside, got him on a heatpad and called the vets. He seems to pick up a little in the car, he was moving his ears and he had opened his eyes.

The vet checked his temp and he couldnt even get a reading :cry: Kept him in for fluids but it was too late :cry: They just called and Albert has died :cry:

Im so upset, crying now writing this. I honestly did all i could. Their bedding areas on the hutches are rammed full of straw, they all have snugglesafes. I went out at midnight and he was fine, i redone all their water bottles and gave them all a cabbage leaf. They have old duvets/carpet and tarps over their hutches.

I feel like its my fault :cry:

Sleep tight Albert :cry: xXx

He was so gorgeous just like my rexy roo poor little boy im so sorry. It sounds like you did all you could for him sleep tight little man x

I'm sorry, I would suspect if he was well protected there may have been other health issues with him you weren't aware of, so it wasn't your fault, you did all you could.

Oh bless you Becky, so sorry to hear this :( It's possible that he was hypothermic because he was dying rather than it being the cause, it sounds as if they were well protected.

RIP Albert and big hugs to you xxx

Really sorry. I think this weather will claim a number of casualties, sadly. You couldn't have done more for Albert. RIP little bun...

Thanks so much guys :cry: I wish i couldve done more, i really feel as though i failed him. Worried about the other outdoor buns now :( I hate this weather :cry: xXx

Thanks so much guys :cry: I wish i couldve done more, i really feel as though i failed him. Worried about the other outdoor buns now :( I hate this weather :cry: xXx

I don't think you failed him hunny - it sounds like you did loads to make sure he was as snuggly as possible. As Alison said, it's possible that there was an underlying problem you weren't aware of.

Back