PDA

View Full Version : No Hay !!

Jack's-Jane
06-01-2010, 11:48 AM
I was due a massive hay delivery today but as predicted the Farm ( in Guildford) is snowed in. I have just about enough hay to last today but the Farm may not be able to get to me for several days.

The local Feed supply place has run out of hay, they buy it from the same Farm as me so if I cant get any neither can they.

Bloody snow :evil:

weeble
06-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Me too :( I am having to buy the little bales from Asda so buying enough wont be cheap

Hugo's There
06-01-2010, 11:51 AM
I have 3 bales due today, I ran out on Monday after having 2 bales delivered on Thursday :(

I don't know what we will do if they don't come today :?

Jack's-Jane
06-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Me too :( I am having to buy the little bales from Asda so buying enough wont be cheap

Certainly not for my 41 Buns :shock:

I have just spent 15 on hay from P@H and it'll only last me today :cry:

donnamt
06-01-2010, 11:55 AM
omg what a living nightmare :(:(

JellyBelly
06-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Jane which hay do you get from P@H?

None of them look fresh enough so i don't bother buying from there, might have to though.

*Spider*
06-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Can you try and drive to the farm and get a bale in your car?
I have a small car and can fit two bales in it.
I could put 1 bale across the back seats and sit one up in the front seat... wrap them up in old duvet covers..

louise and Gus
06-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Dust free hay got a deliver through to me today, might be worth giving them a call?

Jack's-Jane
06-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Jane which hay do you get from P@H?

None of them look fresh enough so i don't bother buying from there, might have to though.

I never normally buy from there at all, but in this situation it looks like its that or nothing.

I have bought some Excel Herbage but 1 bag costs 4.49 and only just about serves all the Buns for a few hours :cry:

Stator
06-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Do you have a Jollyes near you? Their bales are much cheaper than P@H and although it's not the greatest stuff, my bunnies some to like eating it. It's about 6 per bale but it's quite large.

Jack's-Jane
06-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Do you have a Jollyes near you? Their bales are much cheaper than P@H and although it's not the greatest stuff, my bunnies some to like eating it. It's about 6 per bale but it's quite large.

Nope, not near me :cry:

donnamt
06-01-2010, 12:08 PM
jane your involved with a rescue by you arent you? can you not beg a bale off them until you get your delivery??

Santa
06-01-2010, 12:09 PM
This is a bit of a tangent and doesn't help here, but I noticed yesterday that Argos have just started selling hay for home delivery :shock:

Must be such a nightmare especially for those of you with multiple bunnies :cry:

*lily*
06-01-2010, 12:26 PM
This is a bit of a tangent and doesn't help here, but I noticed yesterday that Argos have just started selling hay for home delivery :shock:

Must be such a nightmare especially for those of you with multiple bunnies :cry:

Oooh I didn't know Argos did it :shock:

*Spider*
06-01-2010, 12:28 PM
OH.MY.GOD.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8620523/Trail/searchtext%3EHAY.htm

*lily*
06-01-2010, 12:28 PM
They sell hay nets too now!

sillyrabbit
06-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Can you try ringing around any other farms?

Or try pet shops? We have a small pet shop here that does smallish bales of hay, they are about half the size of the ones I usually get but still cheaper than buying bags of hay :)

Santa
06-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Hetty - You can buy a bag about half that size from marriages flour mill for 2. If you run short it's not a bad place to try, right next to Tesco homewares by the Army & Navy. It's not great but it's not bad either, cheaper than PAH and better quality in my opinion.

janice
06-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Jane

I had two bales delivered last week. If one of them will help you keep going until you can get your delivery you are welcome to it.

SarahP
06-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Hetty - You can buy a bag about half that size from marriages flour mill for 2. If you run short it's not a bad place to try, right next to Tesco homewares by the Army & Navy. It's not great but it's not bad either, cheaper than PAH and better quality in my opinion.

I keep meaning to have a snoop around in there. Do they do any horsey litters etc??

donnamt
Jane Janice-arc has replied to biscmatts thread about hay :wave::D:D:D:D

Santa
Ummm can't say I noticed any horsey litters it's more foody stuff, but it's definitely worth a snoop, they have lots of random stuff and there is lots of stuff on pallets I haven't looked at, so possibly! The hay is probably good for piggy bedding actually, it's dust extracted and it's really soft.

SarahP
06-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Ummm can't say I noticed any horsey litters it's more foody stuff, but it's definitely worth a snoop, they have lots of random stuff and there is lots of stuff on pallets I haven't looked at, so possibly! The hay is probably good for piggy bedding actually, it's dust extracted and it's really soft.

Thanks - will go and look one of these days!!

Hugo's There
06-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Jane

I had two bales delivered last week. If one of them will help you keep going until you can get your delivery you are welcome to it.

Thats so nice, well done Janice :D

Tinsel
06-01-2010, 12:43 PM
What a nightmare :cry:

Candiflare
06-01-2010, 01:14 PM
just seen this post! I'm in exactly the same position!

Any suggestions?

VickiP
06-01-2010, 01:20 PM
I never normally buy from there at all, but in this situation it looks like its that or nothing.

I have bought some Excel Herbage but 1 bag costs 4.49 and only just about serves all the Buns for a few hours :cry:

I went in yesterday and got a few bags of this and the cheaper larger bag of their own hay for the litter trays and they have stopped selling the Timothy Hay (the green grassy one) they had a PAH home hay which was called Timothy but, looked nothing like the 'proper' one it looked more like straw. I would love to be able to get mine like you do by the bale, if anyone knows of anywhere in this area - Fareham, Ports, Southampton etc can they PM me please. Hope you don't mind putting that on here, I hope you will be alright for your supplies. x

AilsaDS
06-01-2010, 01:32 PM
There are also a couple of online petshops I've used in the past for my kittens & I bought a few bunny supplies too.

They do a large bag of compressed meadow hay, it's not stated as dust free but there's very little dust & my bunny loves it.
I'm not sure on the weight but the bale size is approx
H57cm x W38cm x D15cm

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=445&pf_id=5753

They also do free delivery over 29, but for an extra 3 you can have express delivery which takes approx 2 working days & they deliver by courier.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk
http://www.zooplus.co.uk

Angie65
06-01-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm gonna have an issue soon too. I got another huge bag at home - a couple of days worth, but the rest is at the stables. And they are snowed in.

I don't buy from P@H, but that's gonna be my only option by Friday:?

Jack's-Jane
06-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the offers of help and suggestions as to alternative suppliers :)

So, about Global WARMING.................. :roll:

lostunicorn
06-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Not sure if this is of any help but when I first joined I read on here the rabbits will also eat straw. Obviously they don't get as many nutrients from it and hay is far better for them but if those who have run out of hay give the bunnies extra straw it should at least keep their guts moving as it's a great source of fibre.

abbymarysmokey
06-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah, virtually run out of hay here too. I usually go to a farm on the border of Notts/Derbys but there's a mile-long track to drive down, which my little can only just abot manage in good weather.

Luckily I have a spare bale of hay that didn't smell very fresh when I got it, so was saving it to use as bedding...looks like the buns will have to eat it now. TBH it's no worse than most pet shop hay, but not what the buns are used to :(

teresateddyb
06-01-2010, 02:42 PM
i running real short to does anyone know if sandlers farm in essex have any bales otherwise its p@h for me to and that works out much more expensive damn this weather:(

angeleyes
06-01-2010, 06:27 PM
I only have one bag of dust free hay left that i brought for Lionel which i will have to share over everybun, then i am stuffed no hay here either, i was going to go Chapmans but i am guessing that is where Jane is talking about so they won't have any :(

louise and Gus
06-01-2010, 06:29 PM
i running real short to does anyone know if sandlers farm in essex have any bales otherwise its p@h for me to and that works out much more expensive damn this weather:(

They usually do but don't know for sure?

Jack's-Jane
06-01-2010, 06:45 PM
I only have one bag of dust free hay left that i brought for Lionel which i will have to share over everybun, then i am stuffed no hay here either, i was going to go Chapmans but i am guessing that is where Jane is talking about so they won't have any :(

Yeh, it was Chapmans.

janice
06-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Jane or Katie

I have a bale that I havent touched, I have oly just started my other bale which arrived on Friday. If either of you want it or if you want half each let me know. I am in all tonight but working tomorrow ... you know how to contact me.

raine
06-01-2010, 07:20 PM
When I have ordered hay from Vet UK, or Hay Expert, it has normally come within a couple of days.

Jack's-Jane
06-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Jane or Katie

I have a bale that I havent touched, I have oly just started my other bale which arrived on Friday. If either of you want it or if you want half each let me know. I am in all tonight but working tomorrow ... you know how to contact me.

Thank you :)

The Duchess
06-01-2010, 07:48 PM
When I have ordered hay from Vet UK, or Hay Expert, it has normally come within a couple of days.

Problem is that where The Hay Experts are based is hit by this weather and has no power today. No couriers able to get to the farm either to pick up the parcels for delivery, and Lisa couldn't make it in herself as the road to the village where the office/store is, is down a very steep hill under 40cm of snow. So whilst she can process orders, she won't be able to pack them until she can get back to the farm, hopefully tomorrow.

Becki xX
06-01-2010, 10:05 PM
I have NO idea how you'll cope, I've had to buy from P@h too cos there is nothing getting up near us - I bought a 4.49 1 Kg bag at half six tonight, and have used every last strand :roll: