• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what to do about Pearl's claws??

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
ive been getting the bunnies claws clipped every 3 months at the vets, ste has always refused to help do the claw clipping and i was too nervous to do it myself so i never bought any clippers.

we missed the last one which should of been beginning of december and i was going to wait till pearls next check up/myxi jabs to get the claws clipped.

i dont think she will be going back for another check up and the myxi she wont be having is due end of feb when i can get alvins done.

do i just leave pearl alone now? or is it cruel to let her nails get long even tho shes already dying.

i cant bear this and im so out of my depth on bunny care i cant think straight on whats for the best :oops::cry::cry:

you're doing a grand job - believe it!

my vet suggested filing one of my piggies claws rather than clipping (she's an old gal and one grows at a weird angle).

just an idea for pearl:)

Are they very bad? If so, I would do them yourself. Being white, I assume you can easily see the quick running through? Just try clipping the very top bit, it's quite easy once you've done the first :D

Awww hun :(

If her claws look ok hopefully it'll be ok to leave it until she next goes in to the vets.

Tbh I don't know as I've never cut my bunnies claws, they always get them done at the vets. The length of time between clipping varies, and actually I noticed Jester has a longish front claw the other day, but he's back again at the vets on Monday so will get them cut then.

How is Pearl today?

If they are not to long then I would risk stressing her out to much. You are doing a great job and none of us think straight or think we are out of our depth on rabbit care when one of our babies are ill, it proves how mucgh we love them:)

Are they very bad? If so, I would do them yourself. Being white, I assume you can easily see the quick running through? Just try clipping the very top bit, it's quite easy once you've done the first :D

i would need ste to hold her and he refuses :(

How is Pearl today?

shes the same, sitting rather than lying. still grooming Alvin and herself and still greedy for veg/pellets..head in air but she is panting less, her hay eating has almost gone to nil so i cant tell whos poops are whos anymore.. i think my heart is breaking more every time i see her :cry::cry::cry:

At least she's snuggling with Alvin and enjoying her food :)

I can't imagine how hard it must be looking after such a poorly bun :( I panic at the slightest thing with my two. Sending you a hug and millions more vibes for Pearl.

Awww sweetie it must just be so heartbreaking for you :(

I have a couple of paving slabs in with my lops and it helps to keep their claws worn down so they don't need clipping as often. Could you put their food bowl on a couple of slabs so that just the action of standing on them while she's eating at least helps a bit?

If they're not too bad leave them. Or, you could do it with a larger emery board or pumic stone. You don't have to make a big deal with it, just a little at a time, maybe when she's distracted and or eating treats. Don't get hung about it, if she feels you getting stressed she will feel it too. Sorry, I know that's difficult will a poorly bunny :(

Last edited:
Could you hold Pearl & Ste do the filing/clipping?

I think as long as the length of the claws isn't stopping her putting her feet down normally then I wouldn't worry too much.:)

Could you hold Pearl & Ste do the filing/clipping?

I think as long as the length of the claws isn't stopping her putting her feet down normally then I wouldn't worry too much.:)

he wont help, hes refused for 2 years since we got buns.. he had a bad experience with Ralphs claws as a puppy.. i dont think they are too long yet but im worrying if she does stick around longer than the next few weeks shell be even poorlier and shell have long claws too :cry:

I'm quite close to you work wise? If you don't live too far away I could drop in an help on my way home?

I was going to ask if there was anybody close enough to pop in and help you.

I got Louise to help me cut my buns' nails when she came to pick them up to try bonding the trio a few weeks back as dh and I are useless at it - I didn't do a bad job with somebody confident holding them still. :lol::lol:

I'm quite close to you work wise? If you don't live too far away I could drop in an help on my way home?

:love::love::love::love::love: if you didnt mind one of the days that would be great hun.. do you come with clippers because i dont have any :oops::oops:

i only live 10 mins walk from 5 ways, by the reservoir if that helps.

ofcourse its non urgent so you can choose to come when the snow has cleared, im home by 6pm every night.

thankyou xxx

:love::love::love::love::love: if you didnt mind one of the days that would be great hun.. do you come with clippers because i dont have any :oops::oops:

i only live 10 mins walk from 5 ways, by the reservoir if that helps.

ofcourse its non urgent so you can choose to come when the snow has cleared, im home by 6pm every night.

thankyou xxx

I'll pm you.

I did Lionels and Lollys at the weekend, Lollys i have cut quite far back but Lionels i just cut so they were not sticking past the fur as i didn't want to upset him too much. I have learnt to do them all on my own as OH won't help me either, men! :roll:

im really scared of handling pearl too, she now squeaks when i move her, i think her heart must be so big now i hurt her when i touch her :cry::cry::cry:

Back