• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

abcess on nose U/D Drusilla to the rescue! Pic added.

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
I've just noticed that Dorset George has a big lump above his nose. It's come up literally overnight. We're snowed in here but I'll try to make it to the vets - wish me luck with the journey. Any ideas on what kind of abcess would appear so fast?:? :?

Last edited:
Can't comment on what sort really but Bugsy had an abcess above his eye that quite literally wasnt there in the morning but by midday was huge :shock:

He had it operated on the next day and it has not recurred.

Hope Dorset George gets on ok.:wave:

normally one would have thought myxi - but unless you have fleas coming in on another animal its tricky to see where it could come from as there are no biting insects flying in this weather. However it could be myxi - has he been vaccinated?

Hi - thanks to both!

It just burst when I picked him up and the amount of stuff that came out was gross - almost like that human boil being lanced someone posted a while back :mrgreen: I'm still going to try to get to the vets as he probably needs antibiotics etc. Poor boy, I'm guessing he needs painkiller too...

His myxi vacc is up-to-date and I'm certain it's not that. No other nodules and not the same as Captain Carrot's lumps at all...Plus no flying insects since before Christmas, as you say...

Will update when I get home from the vet...

It may be that his tooth roots have penetrated his nasal passages and abscessated :cry:

Poor lad, sending vibes for him

xx

Thank you all - we're back! :wave:

Vet thinks it's not dental related - more like a wound of some sort. She says they may have to operate but we're going to try cleaning it/giving antibiotics first. Poor little boy! The problem is he's a free-ranger rabbit 24/7. He won't come in to a hutch or the shed; he won't let me catch him; if he's in a hutch he refuses to eat and he chooses to sit out in the snow all night, often in the middle of the lawn. The vet says he's gained weight in the last few weeks but I'm really worried as to how to catch/treat him (antibiotics once a day). She's shaved some fur off which will make him cold as well :cry: Any suggestions? All of my other rabbits are fine being hutched or in the shed during the snow but he really hates it. Tempted to try him in the shed but he could fight/get stressed, and there's no guarantee he'd eat even in there :?

Sending more vibes. Hope it can be cleared up without the need to operate.

I don't know what's best in terms of keeping him in or not. Is he a foodie? Can you catch him by proffering tasty treats?

Hope it goes well.

Poor boy :(

I would be really concerned about him being free range 24/7 in this weather even without health problems. there have been so many threads about foxes recently as they are so hungry and venturing further to look for food :?

I would certainly be concerned about him staying warm if he is fighting infection, and if he is on medication you need to be able to catch him easily too :) I would think putting him in a shed would be in his best interests at the moment even if he doesn't realise it :?

Yeah, definitely sounds more like a wound that has abscessed...which is hopefully good news for George :)

I would personally keep him in the shed, as long as it doesn't stress him out too much

Poor boy :(

I would be really concerned about him being free range 24/7 in this weather even without health problems. there have been so many threads about foxes recently as they are so hungry and venturing further to look for food :?

I would certainly be concerned about him staying warm if he is fighting infection, and if he is on medication you need to be able to catch him easily too :) I would think putting him in a shed would be in his best interests at the moment even if he doesn't realise it :?

I am concerned about him being free range, for the reasons you mention - the problem is that he stops eating if I put him in a hutch and he's the most dominant male so I'm nervous about putting him in the shed at a time when I can't keep watch near by for a few hours to supervise how he gets on with the others, as I normally would. If any of my rabbits were to cause trouble by fighting it would be him...:?

At the moment I've left him in a hutch with a girl he gets on well with. It's next to the back door so is in his normal territory. Not sure he's eating much but hopefully he will - the snow's coming down really thickly outside and I just can't bear to put him out in it. If he doesn't seem to be eating by this evening I may need to re-think..maybe put him in the shed and take the would-be dominant male out (if he'll accept going in a hutch). The injection Dorset George has had will last 24 hours but yes, after that he'll need meds once a day. Nightmare :cry:

Well I tried putting him the hutch but he was really unhappy, just stayed crouched and wouldn't eat. I decided against the shed because the buns are in there 24/7 because of the snow, and I thought it too risky to confine him with them without constant supervision. If they sensed he was ill some would-be dominant males would pick on him I suspect.

So this morning I let him back out in the snow - again didn't seem keen to eat (maybe because I'd just had to re-empty his abcess) but when I went to the shed bunnies one escaped and ran straight down to Dorset George. She strated eating next to him and he joined in immediately. They've been playing together in the snow/eating ever since. She's a black rex girl and one of my larger rabbits and they're not a bonded pair as such but are always friendly. She seemed to sense he needed support, because she headed for him the second the shed door opened and has stayed near him ever since :love:

I'll catch him tonight for his meds once they've both eaten, and hutch him overnight, but tomorrow I'll let both of them free-range again during the day. I was really stuck as to what to do about him, but it looks like they've given me an answer between them...

ETA This was him in the summer

Picture781.jpg

and him next to Drusilla

Picture527.jpg

Last edited:
Drusilla is an angel.:love::love::love::love::love:
Is that Captain Carrot in the second picture?
ETA I remember how much Drusilla supported Captain Carrot when he suffered from mixy.

Last edited:
Drusilla is an angel.:love::love::love::love::love:
Is that Captain Carrot in the second picture?
ETA I remember how much Drusilla supported Captain Carrot when he suffered from mixy.

Yes she is! She's the dominant female in the group but in a very positive way. She definitely wanted to be with Dorset George this morning. About 3 rabbits raced out of the shed to see what it was like, but raced back in again once they realised food was IN the shed not outside this morning. But she must have sprinted to the other end of the garden so fast I didn't even know she'd gone!

Hehe well spotted - that is indeed Captain Carrot...I'd be tempted to let him out as he's so tall, but the day he was off his food a few weeks ago followed him being outside in snow for a short while, so I'm keeping him in.

Dorset George has a follow-up vet's appt Monday - until then he's on baytril plus I have to keep emptying his abcess twice a day..:mrgreen:

Yuk! I don't envy you emptying the abcess ,I remember doing that for Bella a few years ago.

I'm glad George is doing well and bless Drusilla for looking after him :love:

Aw thank you both! :wave:

How long did the abcsess keep refilling, out of interest?

Bellas had been operated on so it was a bit different but I've also done it on another bunny,Pip, hers was just lanced and squeezed by the vet.

I think I had to squeeze and put antibiotic powder in hers for a couple of weeks until it gradually healed over ....hers didnt recurr either and was due to Bugsy biting her :shock:

Bellas had been operated on so it was a bit different but I've also done it on another bunny,Pip, hers was just lanced and squeezed by the vet.

I think I had to squeeze and put antibiotic powder in hers for a couple of weeks until it gradually healed over ....hers didnt recurr either and was due to Bugsy biting her :shock:

Ah thank you that's really helpful. I suspect this is a bite wound - he's generally placid but occasionally will chase other boys off his area of the garden. I'd rather that than a dental abcess though. It's just that if it were any other bun catching/medicating wouldn't even be an issue, but he really hates any kind of confinement. Hutching him overnight seems to be the best compromise, then I'll let him free-range with Drusilla during the day.

Back